2019 PK Appeal Data & Statistics

bubblegum

you should see me in a crown
Nebulae
I was inspired by @Hudson documenting Garry's Mod stuff and I wanted to join in. I like data visualization so I decided to compile every available PK appeal for the year of 2019. Here are some important things regarding the data -

• Citizen is a character with no known affiliation or no strong affiliation. It's possible that some characters listed as a citizen are a rebel or a loyalist, but it was unclear at the time.
  • Loyalist is someone in an official Union faction, like UM, UIL, CWU, and so on. Or, they are a character of a high tier, or they died in a situation where loyalism was the crux of the PK (like reporting a lot of people).
  • Rebel is someone I either personally know to be a rebel, or they have a one word name which I assume makes them BOL or off of the grid.
  • Other is someone like a tribune or a CAB.
  • Xenian is a vortigaunt, zombie, headcrab, whatever comes from Xen.

The causes of death are pretty self-explanatory -
  • Gunshot is being shot by a gun. Crazy right??
  • Blunt force trauma is getting beaten to death or falling from a high distance.
  • Stabbing is getting stabbed, diced, or sliced to death.
  • Other is usually an OOC removal from a faction or something like an overdose, or a toilet hitting the character from space. Usually rare. I also included being zapped by a vort in this.

Cause of Deaths

nCA0lWP.png

Factions of those PKed

d2Mcav7.png

Successful and unsuccessful PKs relating to each faction
    The darker shade represents PKed, the lighter shade represents unPKed.

ChErh63.png

Statistics of the data

37% of Citizens were unPKed. Out of 29 PK appeals in 2019, 18 were denied.

Out of 4 Loyalist PK appeals, an even 50% were unPKed.

The same split is shown with Xenian characters, with 50% unPKed.

Out of 7 CP's PKed, 28% were unPKed.

Rebels had a really surprising number. Out of 16 appeals, 75% were unPKed.

0% of 'other' characters were unPKed. Sorry, Marquis.

Interpretation of the data

I'm not sure to be surprised whether or not shootings made up a very high portion of killings. I thought with the prevalence melee weapons, you'd have more PKs with those. I remember cutting off some guy's head on my Japanese character in CW.

I think the reason you don't see CP's getting unPKed a lot is because head cops are doing most of the killing, and it's usually for very well documented reasons.

Rebels had a really high success rate, even though I'm sure rebels get killed all the time. I was surprised by this the most. Maybe people who RP characters like this don't post frivolous PK appeals.

Citizens made up the bulk of the data, and most of them were shot by CPs. Occasionally, they were killed by other citizens or rebels. I'm not sure what to make of this.

Loyalist characters were split with a small sample size. I don't think they get killed a lot.

What do you guys think?

bubblegum

Nebulae
I'm silly. I meant 2019, not 2018. Apparently the year changed. Change my title please.

bubblegum

Nebulae
I Am The 37%.
[doublepost=1553592702][/doublepost]also this doesn't take account of private pk appeals so

Nor does it take into account people who were actually killed but did not post an appeal, reappeals, or appeals for an admin mistakenly running a command. I was curious about who posted appeals and how many of them got accepted. I want to continue compiling data for 2018 and 2017 and see how the trends I noticed compare to what I posted.

Are private PK appeals common? What are some reasons one would post a private PK, as opposed to doing it where everyone can see?

Reactions: List

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae
Are private PK appeals common? What are some reasons one would post a private PK, as opposed to doing it where everyone can see?

when they do cringy embarrassing shit, or stuff that'll get you glanced at odd by the rest of the community for playing a character

or they don't want information metagamed and entrust the pk appeal team to not share it.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

iirc you're pretty heavily recommended to appeal privately if the cause of your death either had confidential information involved, OR you did something that would get you crucified OOCly (like being PK'd for cheating on someone lmao)

bubblegum

Nebulae
Could you maybe do statistics on wich faction gets killed by wich faction?

Good idea. I also want to figure out;

If there's a trend between how long ago the PK was vs if the appeal is successful.
If a certain staff member posting first / last had any trend with a success PK appeal
How long the player had been roleplaying for in the community and if that mattered in them getting unPKed
The nationality of the player who posted the PK.
The day of the week the PK was posted on.

I found that in the month of February, a ton of people were unPKed. I wonder why???

8jLay2I.png

I'll be hard at work next week after my LOA.