Information a quick and useful way to give a hl2 character facial hair in photoshop for a reference picture

• Thread starter Deleted member 7099
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7099

so, your character has a beard and you want to make a reference picture in sfm. OH NO! none of the skins have thick enough facial hair for what you're going for! this is a big whoopsie-daisy on alex's part, make sure you blame him specifically.

but, don't fret! with this simple guide and a copy of photoshop that just so happened to sail the seven seas before arriving on your computer, you can give any character a thick beard or just a moderate mustache.
unknown.png
so, here's good ole male_07. a beaut, is he? but his face, it's clean shaven, no more hair than a baby's bottom. let's fix that by givinng him an extremely thick beard.
unknown.png

on a new layer, select this specific brush. it looks like a blade of grass, you can't miss it- plus, it comes pre-packaged with photoshop TO MY KNOWLEDGE. if it isn't and i'm just gay, correct me and i'll put a download link to wherever it came from.

make it a relatively small size, around 43 pixels, and draw a beard on male_07 in short strokes, like so:

keep doing this until you come up with a result you like. don't be afraid to erase some parts off or just straight up use the warp or liquify tools. here's my final result:
unknown.png

it looks a little jarring, doesn't it? obviously drawn on. that's where the SECRET TRICK COMES IN:
unknown.png

filter > noise > median...
click it, and you'll see this UI.
unknown.png

you'll also notice the beard get a little fuzzier. use the median slider as much as you like without going too absurd with it. i suggest you use a setting like this:
unknown.png

that looks a bit more natural.
finally, apply the median and mess around with the beard as much as you need.
unknown.png

here's the final result. now male_07's got himself a beard.
you can even do this to add other details, such as
unknown.png

bushier eyebrows.
unknown.png

a new hairdo.
here's a rushed example of using this trick, along with some others, to make a completely new character:
unknown.png

cool, huh?
go crazy with your creativity.
unknown.png

here's a better example to show you the full sweep of potential with this trick!
have fun.

the secret santa's still going btw everyone just needs to submit their final pieces and it'll be wrapped(get it?!?!!?) up by christmas

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: List

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I recommend grabbing a brush pack with good facial hair options

Reactions: List