Rejected Add a trade window/menu between players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Suggestion: Create a menu, window or other methods to trade script items between players without having to drop them
Why it would be worth adding: Help with trading between players, reduce risk of minge-grabbers or losing scripts between props or some other weird clipping issues by dropping them when you are handing them over.

Primarily a QOL feature.

E: Could maybe add a command/option on scripts in your inventory to 'Offer' them, then a certain animation will play indicating you are offering a script and someone else can then interact with you to take it/inspect and accept or deny it

Necessary content: Coding

Last edited:
Reactions: List

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
user would like to trade with you!

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Didn't realise we were playing tf2
Unless TF2 has a system whereby you, in-game, walk towards to the other person and hand over an item. I think this is a gross oversimplification.

I am suggesting something that provides an alternative to dropping guns to pick them back up, instead allowing you, the player, to hand them over to another character, another player, without it dropping on the ground.

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Unless TF2 has a system whereby you, in-game, walk towards to the other person and hand over an item. I think this is a gross oversimplification.

I am suggesting something that provides an alternative to dropping guns to pick them back up, instead allowing you, the player, to hand them over to another character, another player, without it dropping on the ground.

Not sure if you've spent much time trading on the rebels side but if one person wants to trade with another we just DM screenshots over discord with each other

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
personally think the risk of minge grabbing has massively decreased now, but even if, an admin can be called in. i don't think it's necessary, and cuts out a trivial part of roleplay.

if you *really* look into it, it could also be abused in a hypothetical scenario in which a person walks in, gets checked for contraband, goes in, and has a friend outside who's able to smuggle the goods in. super elaborate and unlikely in practice, but a risk

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Not sure if you've spent much time trading on the rebels side but if one person wants to trade with another we just DM screenshots over discord with each other
I rarely play rebel and primary play overwatch. I don't see why this would be a bad alternative to whatever you are doing if that's true.

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
personally think the risk of minge grabbing has massively decreased now, but even if, an admin can be called in. i don't think it's necessary, and cuts out a trivial part of roleplay.

if you *really* look into it, it could also be abused in a hypothetical scenario in which a person walks in, gets checked for contraband, goes in, and has a friend outside who's able to smuggle the goods in. super elaborate and unlikely in practice, but a risk
The risk of minge-grabbing has significantly decreased, I just had the idea in passing and decided to make a suggestion on it with the limited pros and cons.

I don't see what trivial part of roleplay it would cut out, perhaps that's just the way I imagine the system working and you see another system or risks I don't?

As to the abused in the hypothetical scenario, it sounds like you imagine this is across the map. Where my intent is merely handing them over. It still requires the trading parties to be in close proximity, such as zip-tying range.

Sensei_

Neutrino
Nebulae
the idea itself its ok

BUT

too much coding for something that isn’ t really necessary

WHY

go into a private space with that specific person and you can trade safely, easily done

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
too much coding for something that isn’ t really necessary
As I tried to mention through the suggestion's reference to it being a QoL feature.

I wholly understand it's more polish onto the server than something outright needed now. It shouldn't be a priority over more important usefull features or balances (unless it is actually really simple to code and wont actually impact progress on the aforementioned)

Deleted member 28

What a pathetic string of words
Nebulae
I feel like this would detract a lot from immersion elements. If you just traded through a GUI window, you could theoretically trade someone an AKM for a bunch of resources in the middle of the city and no one would be notice

The physical elements of actually having to drop an item and then pick it up are part of what makes HL2RP unique in my opinion, the more you hide these systems behind fancy menus and interfaces, the more it feels like some generic MMO

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I feel like this would detract a lot from immersion elements. If you just traded through a GUI window, you could theoretically trade someone an AKM for a bunch of resources in the middle of the city and no one would be notice

The physical elements of actually having to drop an item and then pick it up are part of what makes HL2RP unique in my opinion, the more you hide these systems behind fancy menus and interfaces, the more it feels like some generic MMO
Honestly, I think this made me understand solidly what I previously understood vaguely. Got not much to say with this since I do agree that it has it's flavour.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Had to do a double-take because I immediately thought deathwolf made this suggestion without reading author

Status
Not open for further replies.