Serious Analysing Your Language

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Hello!

I’m currently writing up coursework on Language & Identity in relation to the Internet, and for my main, primary data, I’m using this forum. I’ll be picking out examples across threads and, because exam board, current affairs, however since it’s mostly about the identity of the posters themselves, I’d really appreciate it if you gave a brief description of how you post and if there’s anything common with how/what you post (e.g. @Rabid dying on 10,000,000 hills, the time where everything was kino, the current state of ‘cope/seethe’)

I’d be really grateful if you could help out, as it helps me analyse more properly so I can discuss the change of identity in a clearer manner. I’ll also be comparing posting styles to other forums to gain a more diverse set of data, however Nebulous is gonna stay as the priority.

Reactions: List

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
back in 2016 and early neb i used to type with full grammatical accuracy, including punctuation and capitalization

i stopped doing this because i realized it was making me take everything everyone said seriously because i was taking my own text seriously

also instead of using periods i just make a new paragraph because i have a fear of being accused of poor formatting or bad legibility

GenericPlayer

i like firetruck and moster truck
Nebulae
If it's something serious or long then I try to use proper grammar and spelling, but if it's a shitpost or a short reply then I generally don't bother. It all depends on what's most convenient, the longer a text is, the harder it is to type without proper grammar.

Also 'cope', 'seethe', 'kino' and 'based' have become so engrained I end up accidentally using it in regular speech. I still couldn't pin down what any of these words mean, but the gist is there and that works for me. At least 'cringe' is an actual word.

So for example, all of the above text is in proper grammar because fuck making a new paragraph for every new sentence, however if I were to shitpost the following:

"amogus chungus kino based epic dalman event yes?"

Of course I'm not gonna use proper grammar. In retrospect maybe that'd be funnier actually.

I wish you luck with dissecting the anachronisms of internet and shitpost vernacular friend.

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
If it's something serious or long then I try to use proper grammar and spelling, but if it's a shitpost or a short reply then I generally don't bother. It all depends on what's most convenient, the longer a text is, the harder it is to type without proper grammar.

Also 'cope', 'seethe', 'kino' and 'based' have become so engrained I end up accidentally using it in regular speech. I still couldn't pin down what any of these words mean, but the gist is there and that works for me. At least 'cringe' is an actual word.

So for example, all of the above text is in proper grammar because fuck making a new paragraph for every new sentence, however if I were to shitpost the following:

"amogus chungus kino based epic dalman event yes?"

Of course I'm not gonna use proper grammar. In retrospect maybe that'd be funnier actually.

I wish you luck with dissecting the anachronisms of internet and shitpost vernacular friend.
I’m going to be writing "amogus chungus kino based epic dalman event yes?" on coursework that’s going to the British Exam Board.

Amazing.

Nebulae
if im being chill and not serious i'll just not care about punctuation or grammar in general (with the exception of commas and perhaps semicolons; they're important) or capitalization

otherwise, if im being formal or serious (which i don't like being on the internet because being serious on the internet is kinda cringe and makes you vulnerable to a moderate amount of trolling since there's no guarantee the other party is being serious or that you won't be ridiculed for expressing your opinion), I do my best to abide by grammatical rules.

anyways, i also generally avoid sarcasm because i don't like being insincere and i don't like when others are being sarcastic because it's hard to tell whether they're serious or not; i'd like to think that people are as sincere as i am. if i do make a statement sarcastically or in a joking manner i tend to type out the statement, whereafter i end it with "lmao" or anything of the sort to signify humor so as to inform the other person that the statement was in fact not a serious one

jb

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Based? Based and redpilled? You know what that means? It means like "that's dope"!

jimbo 2

Electron
Nebulae
will you have to leave links to forum accounts to cite quotes

are you forcing your professor onto nebulous.cloud

D

Deleted member 7099

i write in all lowercase a lot of the time but for emphasis i Like to Capitalize The First Letter of Some Words and you can tell that im not being serious When I type really correctly like this.

sometimes i like to say dis or da cus it looks funny

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
will you have to leave links to forum accounts to cite quotes

are you forcing your professor onto nebulous.cloud
It's a Sixth Form, so it's not going to any professor luckily.

But yeah I'm going to quite literally be analyzing you guys as individuals and how you present yourself as a person via the medium of internet language. There will be a section describing @Blackquill as the AI, and why he's received that reputation.

jb

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
mJZfv8t.jpg

bouta drop the thesis

>observer_

Proton
Nebulae
i have no format for posting

i will either put a little energy into the post or none at all, no in between.

i used to be one of those people who
would type
this

send a new message after every pause, and still do it every now and again

if i send a steam pm and miss one of the letters at the end of the ending word, i'll just send the last letter of that word (capitalized or not, depends on if I'm on mobile) immediately following the message

shitty example:

hey dude whats u
P

there's plenty of other patterns I'm sure, but those are only a couple

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
all i have to contribute is that lower case is always more appropriate for shitposting because it feels effortless and relaxed; sort of like talking calmlike, monotone, without any shouting 8 )

leave me out of it though

Jaf

Thanks, I hate it
Nebulae
I usually try to write with correct capitalization and punctuation, even if my punctuation leaves a lot to be desired. I practically grew up in internet communities such as Nebulous and a bunch of other roleplaying communities. In these communities, your worth and to some degree your intelligence felt measured in your ability to write and express yourself in a fluent and detailed manner.

Formally I only have an elementary school education when it comes to the English language. By the time I left school, I had never really spoken the language and my writing might as well have been produced by google translate. To say that the way I write is influenced by the people I surrounded myself with afterward is something of an understatement.

I generally write like this on the forum because I want to be taken seriously because I'm usually quite genuine with my thoughts and beliefs. In discord, my capitalization is a lot more sporadic and I end up writing something like this:

Hey
friend I thought
this sound
more
liek
like*
natural because you read
every word
as if it was spoken in real-time

I generally agree that writing without capitalization or punctuation seems more laid back and usually, I'm completely fine with it, right until people post on very serious topics with that writing style. Writing without proper grammar, to me, shows a lack of effort, some degree of aloofness, or even sarcastic detachment.

Much like MaXenzie mentioned earlier, I think that my sincere and serious approach to the forum meant that I generally took everything people posted as their honest to god opinion. Though I'm pretty confident in saying that people would just shitpost for clout or quick zingers because the community as a whole tends to reward that kind of behavior with upvotes.

Hope there's something you can use in my ramblings.