Any advice on how to get better server ping?

[U.Corp] Pyre

Neutrino
Nebulae
I'm connecting from the U.S. and I get a fair amount of server lag, ping usually rests around 250-300. Does anyone know any settings I could change around to strengthen the connection?

Qiam

Neutrino
Nebulae
I sort of managed it by maximizing my screen and culling unnecessary tasks via task manager, there really isn't much to do in regards to that when the server is very content-orientated. Maybe try praying.

D

Deleted member 1381

I don't think there's much you can do to help ping, but there's quite a lot of US players and they can usually cope well, your internet might have just been having an off day, try tomorrow, if not try closing everything apart from Gmod.

[U.Corp] Pyre

Neutrino
Nebulae
Yeah I think the internet was taking a shit, I've got a 2.5 g nvidia geforce 940m and an intel core i7 2.5ghz dual core hyperthreaded with up to 3.2 ghz turbo, and 8 gigs of DDR 3 RAM on a laptop, not to mention the integrated and dedicated gpu working in tandem, so I don't think hardware is the problem, however my ISP is near criminal with it's throttling.

Reactions: List
D

Deleted member 2994

Yeah I think the internet was taking a shit, I've got a 2.5 g nvidia geforce 940m and an intel core i7 2.5ghz dual core hyperthreaded with up to 3.2 ghz turbo, and 8 gigs of DDR 3 RAM on a laptop, not to mention the integrated and dedicated gpu working in tandem, so I don't think hardware is the problem, however my ISP is near criminal with it's throttling.
Would you share your ISP? Mine usually is consistent, so I have no idea why yours is bad.

[U.Corp] Pyre

Neutrino
Nebulae
Well I live in an apartment complex and our ISP, Century Link splits bandwidth between every modem, but only allots a certain amount. So basically we're all paying for different speeds, but using the same collective bandwidth. It's fucking retarded

D

Deleted member 2994

Well I live in an apartment complex and our ISP, Century Link splits bandwidth between every modem, but only allots a certain amount. So basically we're all paying for different speeds, but using the same collective bandwidth. It's fucking retarded
oh wow
now im glad i dont live in an apartment
i have no suggestions for dealing with that, except for talking to your landlord.

Reactions: List

[U.Corp] Pyre

Neutrino
Nebulae
Yup I'll be moving out as soon as possible anyway haha so hopefuly the situation will be rectified soon. Until then, I shall simply make do haha

Trissy

Privacy Connoisseur
Nebulae
Your hardware has no impact on your ping dud. But programs that check for updates constantly can pull down your ping (Steam, Discord, any webbrowser, etc.)

Could of course be I'm completely wrong, I don't really have much knowledge of how internets work, I'm just going off of what sounds logical here.