[CCC] Combine Overwatch - Complaints, Compliments and Concerns.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
How can a faction leader trust somebody who doesn't have the integrity to recognise that this is an inherently wrong thing to do?

Nah to be fair, I get what he's saying.

Blitz wasn't here for the worst of the arguments that spawned from cross-faction sit-ins or Discord servers.

Reactions: List

Ron

Developer
Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
Nah to be fair, I get what he's saying.

Blitz wasn't here for the worst of the arguments that spawned from cross-faction sit-ins or Discord servers.
The problem is once you ban someone for metagaming it becomes much harder to get them again as they will simply be more smart about it. The first punishment has to be long and, while it may seem quite harsh, is required due to the trouble of enforcing this type of rule.

WstStranger

Proton
Nebulae
Hello again! I see a lot of shit flinging, doesn't matter. I have some input for CCC overall thanks to what happened. May be biased even trying my best otherwise, so have loads of salt just in case. Bombs away!

Anyway, I think what we also want to take away from this (And in part what @Blitz0012 was going into), is that I see the quality of RP dwindling down for inter factional stuff. There is the fact that inter faction RP with the Combine is quite difficult; but when you get it, it is... Not rewarding? I will focus on CMB due to thread, but there are some Rebel can of worms that have yet to be properly untapped.

As an anecdote, we got City 14. My rebel boy was randomly searched for the 424th time in five minutes, got caught with some contraband. OK, it was bad, but I guess I can see what can be done. I know the cop whom I was with was a decent RPer (Won't name and shame out of respect), so I had faith with some cool interaction or even a chance to get away. Yet... All protocol was followed cleanly. I read most if not all lines feeling out of character for what I knew as a cop. Then, well, NLRed and some drama on other principles ensued. For being what was losing all earned in exchange for a very meh situation... Something tickled me very wrong from the faction I was with for most of the server, too. And do note some staff cop I had no exact OOC relation with until after that was really trying to make something interesting instead.

Looking at this again, I believe I am seeing a generalization/pattern. To me, the moment you see citizens the pattern overall is that cops be cops first, a character second. They let the procedure be flawless, follow the book with zero question every single time... OK, it may happen to some learning from the faction, but the thing is that I am seeing this again and again even with more seasoned players. So much for me to advocate Inter-factional RP when I'm seeing interactions straight up best F2Bed into NLR or not worth going into at all.

Part of the charm that would make cops still exist at this point is that... They are human. And to literally show otherwise the moment we get outside of base, I must say I get a little disappointed. I have seen quite a few of you have actually good potential when I was a cop. But... I don't see any of it? To an irony, you make the CMB soldiers (which are supposed to be the machine men (and women)) look like humans in comparison.

In that case, I actually see little to no sensical reason to keep cop as a faction from the perspective of an outsider or narrative if they are lacking actual humanity to show. Come on, you can do better than this, you don't need to share the rich results of a story some of you have going on with only the faction.

I may not be the exemplar since at the start of the server I was this what I'm describing overall; but in the end, when there was little risk, my character was... Sorrowful of the victims, he tried to ease them, he empathized for the time I basically has a robocop. He even whispered I'm sorry to someone who was about to be stalkerized. It felt impactful, made my cop feel like a man who is also a cop. It was literal character development there.
Other interactions include trying to win hearts and minds, make them feel neutrality for the Combine, or be more convincing to make spies/collaborators. Point it with this that you don't need to shy away from characterization to be part of the Combine. Make the world Grey and Grey, not Black and Grey. Combine may be objectively bad, but are they absolute evil?

Anyway, dumb me or whatever, but if I get you to think just for a millisecond, then my job here is done. We are in an RP server, so in a TLDR for ALL: Just think about being a character above everything, lads! :)

Brandon_

Now in a relationship with Sectus
Nebulae
TKYmVdH.png

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
To me, the moment you see citizens the pattern overall is that cops be cops first, a character second. They let the procedure be flawless, follow the book with zero question every single time... OK, it may happen to some learning from the faction, but the thing is that I am seeing this again and again even with more seasoned players. So much for me to advocate Inter-factional RP when I'm seeing interactions straight up best F2Bed into NLR or not worth going into at all.

Part of the charm that would make cops still exist at this point is that... They are human. And to literally show otherwise the moment we get outside of base, I must say I get a little disappointed. I have seen quite a few of you have actually good potential when I was a cop. But... I don't see any of it? To an irony, you make the CMB soldiers (which are supposed to be the machine men (and women)) look like humans in comparison.
It's surprising given that there is still potential to get the exact same result as the inane policies, just with more work.

You need to execute someone? Put away the gun and bland macro "/me shoots man in head" script, just ziptie them and force them to run across a minefield. Can't find one? I'm sure you can find something deadly on most maps, hell build the minefield yourselves. There are ways to get a laugh out of such a common situation.

Other examples for the lazy:
Bullsquid dogfighting pen.
Lethal propaganda video.
APC test dummy.
Fighting ring contestant (with both hands tied)

Create something interesting for both parties, or at least a memorable way to die. Wouldn't you rather have that if the tables were reversed?
If you say otherwise then it's pure and simple - you aren't playing a character, you're playing a stand-in.

Nebulae
It's surprising given that there is still potential to get the exact same result as the inane policies, just with more work.

You need to execute someone? Put away the gun and bland macro "/me shoots man in head" script, just ziptie them and force them to run across a minefield. Can't find one? I'm sure you can find something deadly on most maps, hell build the minefield yourselves. There are ways to get a laugh out of such a common situation.

Other examples for the lazy:
Bullsquid dogfighting pen.
Lethal propaganda video.
APC test dummy.
Fighting ring contestant (with both hands tied)

Create something interesting for both parties, or at least a memorable way to die. Wouldn't you rather have that if the tables were reversed?
If you say otherwise then it's pure and simple - you aren't playing a character, you're playing a stand-in.
For me personally if I'm gonna execute someone in a bland way I do it more out of fear that the guys reinforcements are gonna pop out of nowhere and mag dump me, or other situations require my units attention. But that's just me mainly, I'd usually just act out of the urgency to be quick more than the laziness.

Blitz0012

Proton
Nebulae
I'm seeing interactions straight up best F2Bed into NLR or not worth going into at all.
I don't think that being NLRed or F2Bed is a bad thing at all - I think it's a considerably better option for building RP than PKs, because it doesn't end any line of RP. Sure, people will say 'PKs build story' and whatever, but bar a few well-done PKs, they usually just end a story in a bland and unsatisfying way. The least one can do is try make the PKs interesting, in my experience (mostly watching PKs) they're just not interesting and don't feel befitting of the quality of RP I've seen on the server before. Going back to NLR deaths, though, I think they are a great opportunity to build up one-time unique RP, since no one OOCly loses anything or has to get upset (if u tell them it's an NLR death that is, lmao) the potential for cooperating to make an interesting story is there. I think people often ruin this by gunning for PKs, so NLR is given no effort - and most the time PKs aren't either.

This is exactly what I'm on about - even if it is just a normal gun execution. A little bit of effort is always appreciated. If you don't put in effort to make RP interesting, the guy on the other side probably won't either. If the guy essentially running the scenario goes in bored, the guy who's inspecting wall textures will be as well. If someone needs to be executed quickly, that's fine - just don't PK people for three lines, and don't just give up on doing any RP because it's an NLR death. I think that's really to be said for both sides.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
To an irony, you make the CMB soldiers (which are supposed to be the machine men (and women)) look like humans in comparison
Funny thing is I think, the people who are most likely to become Soldiers are those who have made genuinely good cop characters that have broken the mold. Then they're suddenly a Phase 1 Soldier.

Ota stealing all the good roleplayers!!

(hey, atleast you got me back. 😺)