Khiel

Molecule
Nebulae
who said slavs can't play funny pranks?
RMORQ30.jpg

Reactions: List
D

Deleted member 1381

this show has been incredible and is, in my opinion, the best television series to reach the screens

everything you want is there - tension, eeriness, accuracy, sorrow. the series doesn't bend the events to suit the viewer, it leaves you waiting in anticipation to find out later. for example, the scene where valery meets with the kgb chairman and they converse about his doctors appointment. they don't give the viewer the answer right away, valery instead retorting that they quite obviously know already. you still don't find out what's wrong with him until later on in the episode, where it still isn't fully explained.

the scene with valery's punishment at the end of the episode was heart wrenching, you want to shout at the screen(like various other moments in other episodes) telling him that he will have a legacy and will be remembered as a hero. his suicide a year later adds even more emotion to the episode, knowing well he just couldn't cope

boris and legasov's friendship developing from episode to episode was great to see. we all hated shcherbina in episode 2 when his blind obedience got in the way, but as we move on to episode 4 and see his outrage at the event of the robot failure we see how much the cleanup means to him after he realises the gravity of the catastrophe. his confession at the end of the episode pulled at my heart strings too. a dying old man who saw himself as insignificant in the cleanup attempt, which couldnt be further from the truth.

when they were conversing in episode 3 about the effects of radiation and how they would develop cancer in time, we agreed they got off lightly and thought nothing of it. 2 episodes later they're both dying of probable cancer, the reassurance gained from their conversation leaving us instantly and being replaced with dejection

there are far too many scenes to explain, the whole series is a masterpiece

hoping the actors and show get nominated for a television award. acting and writing is beyond incredible

thank you HBO

D

Deleted member 5162

All of you folks should know that Dyatlov wasnt actually bad and disrespectful all the time, you should listen to his interview, he does care for his workers and seems calm in his interview, remember, the series isnt totally accurate and doesnt represent the disaster 100% accurate.

[TRANSLATION]

Dr Heckyll

Molecule
Nebulae
All of you folks should know that Dyatlov wasnt actually bad and disrespectful all the time, you should listen to his interview, he does care for his workers and seems calm in his interview, remember, the series isnt totally accurate and doesnt represent the disaster 100% accurate.

[TRANSLATION]

They do paint Dyatlov very antagonistically and very rude. But I remember watching a documentary which also has a lead up to the explosion within the control room which is acted out with russian actors. In that portrayal, he sort of says the same stuff, but less rude and sweary. I figure the show producers have seen that documentary and were inspired by it

afric

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
They do paint Dyatlov very antagonistically and very rude. But I remember watching a documentary which also has a lead up to the explosion within the control room which is acted out with russian actors. In that portrayal, he sort of says the same stuff, but less rude and sweary. I figure the show producers have seen that documentary and were inspired by it
Mazin wrote most of the script through 'storys from Chernobyl' i think

Dr Heckyll

Molecule
Nebulae
Mazin wrote most of the script through 'storys from Chernobyl' i think
Definitely a book I need to pick up

Anyhow, if you've seen certain documentaries, you can see their influence on the show, particularly Chernobyl 3828 and the roof scenes

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I dunno how true this is but my dad just told me that the Russians are apparently doing their own version of this show but making it a CIA plot.

He also mentioned to me that back when this disaster happened and he was stationed wherever he was stationed he was one of the people who got maps for the MOD to try and help the Russians out via parachuting people in and stuff. That never happened but he didn't find out until later that the maps were so out of date they would have been parachuting into a man-made lake for the plant.

Hell he even mentioned that they only got actual semi-up-to-date maps many years later after the Lithuanian independence when they were sold an abandoned russian map warehouse.