Classical music thread

Wezselius

String
Nebulae
Hello friends,

One of my hobbies is to listen and to read about the music from between the 14th and 16th century. Most of them being chansons and Sacred Music. It is a very interesting period because of the growth of masters of art and music. Master musicians and painters were commonly mentors of groups of students.

Certain musicians made music for fame, others did it with their heart, others with religious fervor. I hope to share my music with you people, and feel free to share yours. Currently my favorite musicians are: Pierre de La Rue, Johannes Ockeghem and Cristóbal de Morales.

Currently one of my favorite pieces is by Johannes Ockeghem: 'Mort, tu as navre', a lamenting song written for his mentor: Binchois (another master musician) who passed away in 1460.

The first stanza being: (Old French)
Mort, tu as navré de ton dart
le père de joieuseté
En desployant ton estendart
sur Binchois, patron de bonté.
Rétoricque, se Dieu me gard,
son serviteur a regretté.
Musique par piteux regard
fait deul et noir a porté.
En sa jeunesse fut soudart
de honorable mondanité.
Puis a esleu la meilleure part,
servant Dieu en humilité.

Translation:
Death, you have wounded with your dart
The father of happiness,
Spreading your great flag
Over Binchois, the model of goodness.
We grieve and lament for his body,
Which now lies under the ground;
Alas, please in pity
Pray for his soul.​

At the same time the stanza is sang, the text: "Pie Jesu, Domine, dona eis requiem." ("Blessed Lord Jesus, grant him peace.") is repeated. This is nice touch.

Feel free to post classical music, it would be lovely to discover new pieces.

Reactions: List

Shwani

Electron
Nebulae
Normally I understand baroque or romance music as classical aka late 17th to late 20th century.

There are the popular artists like Bach, Beethoven (not mozart, he was scum) and the lesser popular who are still great, Sergei Prokofiev, Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky, Jean Baptiste Lully (Most earliest composer I know, his style is closer to the sort of music you listen to, but still different and more "modern"). There are also really, really obscure artists, like Frederick the Great (who would've thought a prussian king composed symphonies and concertos?) who surprisingly composed very good pieces.

Reactions: List