Cooking Thread

Slashraider

Neutrino
Nebulae
This is gonna be a little different from the other threads. I hope this is the right spot for it as I couldn't find anything like this in other sections.

So cooking. I LOVE to cook. It is one of my favorite past times to get fucked up and experiment with different foods, flavors, and spices. Being a broke college student, sometimes I have to get real fancy to spice up otherwise bland meals.

I want you guys / gals to share your favorite recipes / things to cook!

Even if you aren't a good cook, tell me what you like to eat! Please don't just say pizza or burgers. Try to remember that one specific meal your grandma used to cook, or that amazing dish that was served at the last restaurant you went to.

Fuck.

Thinking about this thread is getting me all riled up and hungry. After I share this recipe, Imma need to cook something up myself.

So Steak Au Poivre.
This isn't as fancy as it may seem. Although that depends on the type of brandy you use.

Take 2 filets mignon about an inch thick and approximately the same size (around 1/2 pound each) and coat them with coarsely crushed black peppercorns and salt. Really mash the spices into the meat. You want it to stick really well.

Sear for 4 minutes a side on med-high heat in a stainless steel or cast iron pan (I recommend cast iron). Remove meat to a plate.

Remove pan from heat and pour in 1 cup or so of brandy, scraping to deglaze the pan. Light the liquid on fire and let it burn until the flame almost dies out, then blow it gently out. Do not blow it hard or you risk flaming alcohol all over your stovetop. Reduce the liquid while stirring to scrape up any remaining bits and add teaspoon or so of dijon mustard, heavy cream (tempering it with some of the hot liquid, salt if needed, and a bit of fresh ground parm or romano.

When it starts to thicken, put the meat back and any juices back in and let them cook for about 6 minutes, turning once or twice and coating them in the sauce. Serve with the sauce ladled over them. Damn I wish I had some steaks right now....

Reactions: List

Twar

The truth is out there
Nebulae
Even if you aren't a good cook, tell me what you like to eat! Please don't just say pizza or burgers.
I'm gonna say burgers because making your own burgers is fucking banging.

When I moved into my university accommodation, my mate showed me how to make burgers from p much scratch. Since then it's been my go-to recipe for a quick meal and my speciality when I cook for all my friends

It's quicker and simpler than making anything from a tin, and isn't too costly.

Ingredients
  • Beef Mince, I usually measure out about just over 125 grams or about a quarter of a pound per burger. 500g will make you 4 burgers easy. Make sure it's 80/20. Anything less than 20% fat and you're failing already
  • One red onion boy, I use half but if you like onion use the whole thing
  • One butter for the pan
  • Rolls for the burgers and one for bread crumbs
  • An egg
  • Any toppings you enjoy

1. Mix all the mince together. Let it sit whilst you cut up that onion.
  2. Add the onion to the mince, then break up a roll into some breadcrumbs (or just use breadcrumbs) and add that to the mix.
  3. Break one egg and add that to the mix, mix it all together and bind it all into one big ball. Your hands will get a bit messy but that's okay.
  4. Split the massive ball of oniony bready eggy meat into four equally sized meatballs. Spend some time moulding them into any shape you want. Though they should look like a burger patty
    WAGYUBURGER.jpg
  5. Stuff these in the fridge. This will cause them to set and they won't fall apart. Even if you only put them in for 20 minutes it'll help. You can cook them straight after moulding them, this just helps stop them falling apart a bit.
  6. Turn your oven hob to about an 8 or the high end of medium. Butter up the pan and then drop those bad boys on. You're gonna want to let them sit for a good bit until a crust forms. You should hear it when you try to flip them. Repeat on the other side. I don't actually know how long it takes because I've learned to just know. You can cut them open to check how raw they are, you can have well done if you want but I'm a fan of medium but if you're being cheap mince, do them well-done for the sake of safety. Cheap mince should always be done well-done.
  7. When you're sure it's ready for eating, stuff it into one of your burger rolls. Top with cheese/lettuce/tomato/any topping you like
Bam, you've got a nice, freshly made burger that will top what you buy at McDonald's or whatever fast food chain you prefer and it's probably about the same price.

I fry onion with mine and usually add lettuce, bbq sauce and random bullshit I buy on the day.

These are also safe to BBQ, and your friends & family will be much more impressed when they BBQ an actual burger and not one bought from Tesco.

Reactions: List

Slashraider

Neutrino
Nebulae
Yooo this is great! When I said not to say burgers, I meant in regrades to food you like. recipes however are always welcome! I really like this one because it is simple and can be done almost anytime with little prep. I especially like you using little items to make it so much better. Things like the breadcrumbs and eggs to improve the meal. Reminds me of stuff I add into cheap 50c ramen to spice things up a bit.