Serious Could you still see yourself roleplaying in later life?

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
only on begotten if it ever stays up for like 10 more years
what do you actually do in begotten like what does a day in a server look like

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

its solely events

the server only comes up when they have an event in mind

its usually horror-centric

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Begotten (at least the main server up rn which was based on the event they did a few years back) isn't ran by the same guys because they released the schema as open-source to anyone who wanted to see it.

Its pretty fun, but its also still pretty damn edgy by design lol. When I played a few weeks ago it was basically everyone stuck in a literal hell-on-earth situation and you had a few different faction options + scavengers.

Reactions: List

Charlie

Atom
Nebulae
depends on who you're playing, but ultimately you just try to survive or make up your own goals. If you don't know the premise, the very VERY VERY short version of it is that god killed himself because he let some messiah-like super turbo mega racist rule the earth and this guy was like "go to sleep god i got this covered :)" and he unleashed wrath upon the world and delve it into horror, which made god kill himself. this thing spawned out of god's dead womb and grew up to be the Undergod who invaded heaven, hell and the mortal realm and is basically. he's like satan but 10x worse, so now the earth is in ruins and is through a bunch of apocalypses, so knowledge and technology has been retrograded mostly. https://begotten-iii.fandom.com/wiki/Begotten_Synopsis this link is a pretty good summary i suggest reading and playing the server

i personally main the Gores, which are basically norsemen vikings

its solely events

the server only comes up when they have an event in mind

its usually horror-centric
it opens up for like 12 hours thursday through sunday every week

Begotten (at least the main server up rn which was based on the event they did a few years back) isn't ran by the same guys because they released the schema as open-source to anyone who wanted to see it.

Its pretty fun, but its also still pretty damn edgy by design lol. When I played a few weeks ago it was basically everyone stuck in a literal hell-on-earth situation and you had a few different faction options + scavengers.
yeah, but it's been one of the best RP experiences i ever had on gmod so far

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
it opens up for like 12 hours thursday through sunday every week

oh huh

i remember when they used to do like week-long events every couple of months
BEGOTTEN: CROSSED was a fucking trip

warlord

String
Nebulae
I've been into roleplay for a while too, started around 15, and yeah, it's been a blast. Totally get what you mean about connecting with people through it. Never tried acting or theater either, but RP scratches that itch for sure.

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
So I've been enjoying RP now with board games such as D&D and other types and honestly, I have been very happy with it. It feels like a natural progression while servers are a bit lower effort to get in, board games have a high effort but a high reward attach to them. Stories feel real, more memorable and unique. Boardgaming will likely become a bigger hobbier of mine especially when I have more income to spend on it!

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
hey, some peoples parents are probably in their 50's-ish and they're still roleplaying in the bedroom.

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
hey, some peoples parents are probably in their 50's-ish and they're still roleplaying in the bedroom.
IMG_0409.gif

abcdefg

Atom
Nebulae
The worst part is definitely people just not being willing to lose as a means to let other people drive forward their story in a meaningful way
this is funny cuz i won about 95% of any hand to hand fights on the server by never holding back like a pussy

NiGHT

Quark
Premium Member
Nebulae
I feel that Text based will evolve with AI powered characters, I don't want 100 AI's to interact with, but a AI receptionist that can radio active players, I know the Combine would love to have a AI dispatch that is on all the time. maybe a rebel AI to montior radio channels and report incidents etc. It would be great when there is no players on or low numbers, 24/7 shop keepers or traders would be real nice as it sucks ass finding a store that sells what you want, only to find out the owner is active when you are not.

If a mod/plugin is made, it will have to be run on a test server, as LLMs are known to hallucinate, it would be funny to watch a cop switch to a rebel mid sentence.

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
yup

think what sucks the most is that the more seasoned of an rper you become, you kinda tend to form this natural 'elitism' (even if you don't necessarily mean to) where people's overall rp quality just isn't enough for you and so as time goes on it's harder and harder to find a 'clique' of people you can rlly click with

but its there

but yeah no ill always be rping in some capacity. i'd like to get things set up now so that, later in life, i already have established projects, cliques, servers, w/e that i know will last me. i have the time to set shit up now, but later on ill want things to already be set up so i can just.. play

do i see myself rping forever, though? realistically, no, unless my projects last a whole lot longer than i think they will.

ill rp for as long as it interests me and i dont see that interest dwindling anytime soon

i dont get all these people that say "AAA U MUST MATURE AND GROW UP AND STOP ROLEPLAYING!!!" like cmon rping is a far more mature concept than most video games

Nebulae
think what sucks the most is that the more seasoned of an rper you become, you kinda tend to form this natural 'elitism' (even if you don't necessarily mean to) where people's overall rp quality just isn't enough for you and so as time goes on it's harder and harder to find a 'clique' of people you can rlly click with

but its there

lately ive bumped into a very small community of very good roleplayers and have had some of the best experiences in all my time engaging in this hobby, period - and one thing i noticed the more i stayed there is that i became much more welcoming to 'lower quality rpers' than i used to be. this one guy who hangs around sometimes is relatively new and plays a fairly basic character but because we know him/see him around regularly and can watch him get 'better' over time, we sort of just enjoy his presence anyway

im starting to wonder if maybe the elitism is just a natural defense mechanism of being in crowded environments with too much uncertainty about whether the next guy you bump into could be a bad actor (those two dont have to be connected but in many places it is). not necessarily intrinsic to spending time in rp communities

this isnt me questioning your feelings btw, just a very genuine revelation i felt i had recently

rob

Nebulae
lately ive bumped into a very small community of very good roleplayers and have had some of the best experiences in all my time engaging in this hobby, period - and one thing i noticed the more i stayed there is that i became much more welcoming to 'lower quality rpers' than i used to be. this one guy who hangs around sometimes is relatively new and plays a fairly basic character but because we know him/see him around regularly and can watch him get 'better' over time, we sort of just enjoy his presence anyway

im starting to wonder if maybe the elitism is just a natural defense mechanism of being in crowded environments with too much uncertainty about whether the next guy you bump into could be a bad actor (those two dont have to be connected but in many places it is). not necessarily intrinsic to spending time in rp communities

this isnt me questioning your feelings btw, just a very genuine revelation i felt i had recently
i've tried playing on smaller servers but i don't think they're my cup of tea tbh, idk, i just like it when there's more people around, that's just me though