curious question on curious maps

When it comes to new hl2rp maps, what interests you more?

• Remakes of outdated maps (city 16, 45, ect)

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Edits of existing maps (d47, c8, ect)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Outright new maps

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Check out the poll, and leave a response with your choice and why if you have the time to spare,
This will help me to decide on future projects.

Taking maps that have been left more obsolete due to the passage of time, this can stem from a number of reasons such as the maps dating back from pre 2010, re-using maps from old mods or simply lack the visual polish needed in modern maps.
It is also a major opportunity to remix old established areas, resolve many issues and optimize the maps further. as these would be ground up remakes, rather than edits

The map visually does the job or may look amazing, but there are gameplay annoyances or certain things lacking for our regular operations, map edits would look to make these general solutions into a new map version that accommodates the original map rather than outright replacing it.

To heck with making old maps nice(r), let's make ourselves some new ones!
This would mainly be to create something we can't already get, such as a new level design, location and theme, ect. these take the longest to action though.

Last edited:
Reactions: List

slick

give this guy his adm*n back
Nebulae
remake outdated maps because it'd be a little less effort to add to the cycle of maps

leonjosland

Neutrino
Nebulae
If I could I would tick all boxes because I am a map fiend. But if I had to pick, I'd choose outright new maps because of the creative opportunities

Roosebud

Molecule
Nebulae
I reckon I'd like remakes/edits of (outdated) maps because they've already been thoroughly played and the issues/desires are known. New maps can be cool but usually some problems will pop up after a large amount of players have been on it for a while.

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
I have a nostalgic soft spot for City 18/City 45, and would love to see new life in them. Something dark and gritty, with a safe central point in the map, and an interconnected outer part that is patrolled less often. The challenge of a central area that has a wide plaza leading in many directions seemed to be visleaf trouble? That's one of things I struggle with on Hammer.

Many of the old maps that had a plaza with routes away from it suffered from them being dead-ends, so you can't really play cops and robbers if the robber(rebel) just gets trapped.

Last edited:

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
new maps are hard because they take so much time, we've got a decent map-pool right now it just lacks in quality, so I'd say remakes for that reason

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Cheers for the responses guys, even the silent voters.
Will keep the thread open till friday incase anyone has anything more to add.

Plankster

Atom
Nebulae
City 81 time
[doublepost=1548855933][/doublepost]Or whatever city stockholm is :)

Dr Heckyll

Molecule
Nebulae
here's a fourth option for the gang:

-New maps using already existing aesthetics, such as a completely new map using City8 looks and architecture

Baker

Mr. Mineside
Nebulae
I have a nostalgic soft spot for City 18/City 45, and would love to see new life in them. Something dark and gritty, with a safe central point in the map, and an interconnected outer part that is patrolled less often. The challenge of a central area that has a wide plaza leading in many directions seemed to be visleaf trouble? That's one of things I struggle with on Hammer.

Many of the old maps that had a plaza with routes away from it suffered from them being dead-ends, so you can't really play cops and robbers if the robber(rebel) just gets trapped.
City 45/18 2019 edit would be godly

Status
Not open for further replies.