Serious D&D, I suppose!

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

lost-mines-770x360.jpg

The Lost Mines Of Phandelver

Hello, fellas. I'm gonna DM a D&D game, preferably for new players.

What is D&D?

"The first Dungeons & Dragons game was played back when Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson chose to personalize the massive battles of their fantasy wargames with the exploits of individual heroes. This inspiration became the first fantasy roleplaying game, in which players are characters in an ongoing fantasy story. This new kind of game has become immensely popular over the years, and D&D has grown to include many new ways to vividly experience worlds of heroic fantasy.

The core of D&D is storytelling. You and your friends tell a story together, guiding your heroes through quests for treasure, battles with deadly foes, daring rescues, courtly intrigue, and much more. You can also explore the world of Dungeons & Dragons through any of the novels written by its fantasy authors, as well as engaging board games and immersive video games. All of these stories are part of D&D."

What you need to do to join:
- Do some research, primarily on the basic rules of the 5th edition. I don't want to teach you what AC is or what a skill check is at the start of the game.
- Have a microphone. Typing takes way too much time for the game to be enjoyable.
- Be comfortable vocally roleplaying. This isn't Skyrim, you're going to be giving your character a voice.
- Make an account at www.orcpub.com and create a character. Save the character, then send them to me.
- Be confident. Don't sit around and do nothing, be vocal. If you want to do something, just say you do it and I'll reply, I won't ignore you.

Character Creation:
This is likely the most rule-heavy part of D&D, so I'll walk you through it.
- Choose a race. Try to pick something you think you can Roleplay as, though. Also, try not to be a mega exotic race like a Bugbear or Hobgoblin or Drow, since they're usually a "kill on sight" kind of race. If you think a race isn't going to fit, just ask me.
- Choose a class! If you want a simple to pick up and play kind of character, be a fighter or barbarian or rogue. If you love micromanaging and being more creative with what you have, be a Wizard, Sorcerer, or Warlock, etc. Think about what you want to be and do, and pick a class that fits. Just expect to put more work in on spells if you're going to be a primary spellcaster.
- Choose stats! When choosing stats, set them from "Random" to "Point Buy" and allocate your point accordingly. A word of advice, don't try to be a jack of all trades. A fighter is best with strength, a rogue is best with dex, a wizard is best with intelligence, don't try to be average at everything because you'll be worse than everyone else.
- Choose equipment. This part is easy, just google the Roll20 Compendium on your class and find the starting equipment tab.
- Find a picture for your character beforehand. I'll need to photoshop it into a token for you.
- Make sure your character is level 1.
a8488367d0eb494ab80c65a6ae0edc6a

General Etiquette:

In Character, you can be a dick, obviously. But not to the other players OOC.
Also, don't try to do anything blatantly impossible or loopholing rules.

What Time Are We Playing?:
Usually, 6PM to 10PM British time on days where a majority are available. If you can't make this time comfortably, don't join, since you'll regret the poor timezone choices.

Where Are We Playing?:
Roll20, a great website for D&D online.

Extra:
- I'll send you a link to the game once I've confirmed you're joining
- You'll be making the character yourself in Roll20, so keep your sheet handy to re-write everything in game.
- Have fun. There's no point in playing if you're not intending to enjoy yourself. But just remember this is a time sink and a big investment in your day.
- There'll be a maximum of 6 players, that's the most I can comfortably deal with.

If you want to ask questions, ask below!

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Iceman

Neutrino
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I'll play I know how the basics

Last edited:

Evie

eternal No-Lifer/resident Vampire
Nebulae
Is it too late to join? c:
I'm working on a character, I'll message you tomorrow (later today, technically) as I still have some questions, like we previously discussed (but a lot simpler questions, this time).

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
I'm not as busy as I used to be when I tried doing this last time.
Will you let me have a go again mr. Mackenzie? :>

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Is it too late to join? c:
I'm working on a character, I'll message you tomorrow (later today, technically) as I still have some questions, like we previously discussed (but a lot simpler questions, this time).

Not too late.

I'm not as busy as I used to be when I tried doing this last time.
Will you let me have a go again mr. Mackenzie? :>

Be in more than 1 session this time.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Hurry up, ya slowpokes. First char (mine) is done. :3

You were also the slowest person to make their character that I have ever seen.

That bodes well for everyone else.

:D

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Making my character today.

Please no Kender, Aaracokra, Drow or Deva.

Kender and Deva aren't even 5e, so it's impossible to be them.

Aaracokra is just a gimick due to flight.

Anyone being Drow will just be handicapping themselves, and everyone will hate them.