"Deus Ex: Mankind Divided" is kinda good tbh.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
I recently played through it and I enjoyed what there was, but I was left disappointed and annoyed at the game. Allow me to explain -

Warning, mild spoilers:

I played Human Revolution from start to finish and it felt like a journey and a half - from Detroit, to Shanghai, to Montreal and the various facilities and complexes It was an awesome experience, especially going through and learning about all the characters, seeing how they all connect etcetera. I originally refused to play Mankind divided due to the whole 'augment your preorder' shenanigans, but I gave it a shot recently because no game really scratches an itch like a deus ex game does.

First thing I noticed right from the getgo was the lack thereof of references to the ending(s) of Human Revolution, the only point of reference being the incident that happens at the end of the game (if you've finished it, you know what I mean) and from what I can tell that's the only thing that led to the main overarching arc of the game (That being, the segregation of normal people and augmented people). To me, I'm not sure if this was a clumsy attempt at making a metaphor to racism or xenophobia- it was very blatant with shit like 'AUG LIVES MATTER' being spray painted on walls and such. Adam Jensen is one of my favorite characters to play, and it was in part due to his relationships with other characters in Human Revolution. Pritchard, Sarif among others- they make only small appearances or none at all in vanilla (Pritchard comes as DLC). This means that you're having to learn and get to know an entirely new cast, which I was open to.

The gameplay is solid, I had so much fun with the newer augments, and the more refined older ones. The stealth was even better, even if a tad easier due to the new way sightlines and enemy detection worked. I played it on the hardest (available) difficulty all the way through to the end and there was no section where I thought "there's no way outta this with my playstyle" which is great, Eidos deserve huge props for that.

I personally feel like a lot of the characters were wasted potential - Characters like Chikane and Aria felt like they could've had much more done with them. The twist involving the psycologist was one I liked, it's a shame that it was right at the end. Other than that, the only other characters who really stood out to me were all characters from the side missions - The mind controlling guy, the case involving the harvester and even the side mission involving another character from Human Revolution

Now, the characters aside - my main issue with the game was the setting. Having most of it take place in prague, made the game feel a tad 'samey' and it didn't feel so much like a journey. The snow facility, The aug holding place and London were great and designed really well. But there wasn't enough of that.

My biggest gripe with the game, and the thing that has given me the sour impression - is the ending. Not only did it break the series tradition of giving you a big choice at the end (Perhaps a good move to some), it was so open ended it feels like they ran out of budget or time or something half way through the game. I didn't play the DLCs, because I was put off by the vanilla games ending (Not to mention, I don't think any of the DLCs are set after it). It felt like half of a game. Hell, the fact there is only ONE BOSS FIGHT in the entire game, is a huge let down. A boss mind you, who I don't think was built up enough.

Overall, I had fun throughout my playthrough until I hit the ending.

depthjacks

Proton
Nebulae
I recently played through it and I enjoyed what there was, but I was left disappointed and annoyed at the game. Allow me to explain -...
Overall, I had fun throughout my playthrough until I hit the ending.
dude no offence, but there is a spoiler tag. Im reminding you this since i havent finished the game yet.

depthjacks

Proton
Nebulae
Spoiler tag is up

I wasn't aware you hadn't finished it, although it's mild and doesn't detail shit exactly
dont worry. And thanks for putting it up. Also sorry for not notifying in the first place that i didnt finish the game

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
dont worry. And thanks for putting it up. Also sorry for not notifying in the first place that i didnt finish the game
No worries

I hope you enjoy Mankind Divided, it's a fun game overall- I've put my thoughts on most of the game in the spoiler; I'm interested in hearing what you think when you're finished with it, see if you have a similar experience to myself

Reactions: List

depthjacks

Proton
Nebulae
No worries

I hope you enjoy Mankind Divided, it's a fun game overall- I've put my thoughts on most of the game in the spoiler; I'm interested in hearing what you think when you're finished with it, see if you have a similar experience to myself
ok, but lets hope i wont forget topkek

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
i feel like the plot to the og deus ex was a lot more badass and relatable to human rev/mankind divided since the whole 'if we have augs are we even HUMAN...?' thing was kinda dumb to me

the storytelling in deus ex was a lot more nonlinear and there was tons of stuff it was up to you to find out by your own volition, which suited the whole intrigue/conspiracy meme a lot better; plus the climax to the og actually felt worth 20+ hours of gameplay unlike the other two games

Knight

`impulse-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I got it for $5 on sale during the summer and played through it

The bank mission was the most fun I've ever had in a stealth game and I spent about 3 hours playing that alone

the ending made me mad for the franchise though because it makes me think another game will never happen because of the cliff hanger

Gabby

Atom
Nebulae
Deus ex: A deep look into the dangers of capitalism, AI, secret orders, terrorism, ethics and morals, corruption, space aliens

Deus ex Human revolution/Mankind divided: CYBORGS

i feel like the plot to the og deus ex was a lot more badass and relatable to human rev/mankind divided since the whole 'if we have augs are we even HUMAN...?' thing was kinda dumb to me

the storytelling in deus ex was a lot more nonlinear and there was tons of stuff it was up to you to find out by your own volition, which suited the whole intrigue/conspiracy meme a lot better; plus the climax to the og actually felt worth 20+ hours of gameplay unlike the other two games

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I got it for $5 on sale during the summer and played through it

The bank mission was the most fun I've ever had in a stealth game and I spent about 3 hours playing that alone

the ending made me mad for the franchise though because it makes me think another game will never happen because of the cliff hanger

what are you talking about? the script for it was leaked ages ago

Gabby

Atom
Nebulae
This mod is also pretty neat.

The dialogue is supposed to sound cheesy if you were wondering

Dostoevsky

Electron
Nebulae
Deus Ex is one of the best cyberpunk titles out there, change my mind;

Oh wait you can't because it's fact.

depthjacks

Proton
Nebulae
Deus Ex is one of the best cyberpunk titles out there, change my mind;

Oh wait you can't because it's fact.
Well i mean, the points system in the first game was kinda unpolished, be it if you want to be a tech guy, you have to invest in 3 categories, while if youre a break and enter, just invest into heavy weapons all your points, get the sniper rifle and make yourself into a headshot machine.

Deus ex 2 tried to fix it by simply removing this upgrade system and adding universal ammo (which i like, since you can use any weapon for the right time), but sadly the game suffer EXTREME technical issues.

Human Revolution and Mankind Divided? Dunno yet.

Dr.Towers

Nucleus
Nebulae
I wish I could have finished it but my computer takes 10 minutes to load on the metro, gets 5 fps on the Prague overworld and lags every time I shot so I've quit basically at the beginning of the game.