Suggestion Disable/Limit Global OOC

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Plz disable or limit global OOC, either disabled for non-staff or with a long timer.

It's annoying having OOC chat pop up every couple seconds with people asking things they could figure out easily either in character or spending 10 seconds just looking at their keybinds.

A local OOC option would be nice though for some scenarios.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
cope tbh

how are people gonna know what to playtest when they're stumped on how to interact with the brand new UI and systems

Reactions: List

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I didn't notice OOC most of the time but it was really needed for Day 1 at least but I think we'll look to limit it

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
cope tbh

how are people gonna know what to playtest when they're stumped on how to interact with the brand new UI and systems

yea it should stay on for the duration of the playtest it was quite helpful throughout

i gotta play gta a little more to figure it all out lol

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
cope tbh

A lot of the stuff people were asking about in OOC were literally things that could be figured out by looking at keybinds.

How do you open your phone, how do you get in a car, how do you talk, how do you start a job, etc, all this stuff can be figured out without having to ask every few seconds in global ooc. Heck, many of them could just....been asked about in character. It may be a playtest, but it's still an RP server with an expectation to remain in character at all times, use this lack of OOC knowledge to meet other characters and figure it out together. It's kinda weird for people to ask where to rent a car or do a job OOCly then act on that information IC.

Ideally, OOC should be reserved for technical issues that at the very least should be followed up on with a proper bug report on the forums.

Good OOC Use: Hey don't use gas pumps, they empty your bank account!
Bad OOC Use: How do I make money and get a car?

Not to mention, it's essential to set standards and expectations early, otherwise people will get way too comfortable misusing OOC.

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
A lot of the stuff people were asking about in OOC were literally things that could be figured out by looking at keybinds.

How do you open your phone, how do you get in a car, how do you talk, how do you start a job, etc, all this stuff can be figured out without having to ask every few seconds in global ooc. Heck, many of them could just....been asked about in character. It may be a playtest, but it's still an RP server with an expectation to remain in character at all times, use this lack of OOC knowledge to meet other characters and figure it out together. It's kinda weird for people to ask where to rent a car or do a job OOCly then act on that information IC.

Ideally, OOC should be reserved for technical issues that at the very least should be followed up on with a proper bug report on the forums.

Good OOC Use: Hey don't use gas pumps, they empty your bank account!
Bad OOC Use: How do I make money and get a car?

Not to mention, it's essential to set standards and expectations early, otherwise people will get way too comfortable misusing OOC.
I think once we have a proper timer a lot of those issues are solved by virtue of people not wanting to waste their message

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I think once we have a proper timer a lot of those issues are solved by virtue of people not wanting to waste their message

I am going to use my limited messages in the best way possible

By replying to everyone and telling them to figure it out in RP.

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I am going to use my limited messages in the best way possible

By replying to everyone and telling them to figure it out in RP.
Tbf, you can also use the twitter app to ask IC question, is a really good one imo

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Tbf, you can also use the twitter app to ask IC question, is a really good one imo

I genuinely feel that people really miss out on a lot of those early character interactions by speedrunning this stuff in OOC instead of engaging ICly either face-to-face or on twatter. Our characters are all new to the city, they should be engaging other characters to learn about the environment around them and build relationships with each other as they do so. Getting that knowledge in OOC chat and applying it ICly isn't just metagaming, it's inorganic and boring as fuck.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I genuinely feel that people really miss out on a lot of those early character interactions by speedrunning this stuff in OOC instead of engaging ICly either face-to-face or on twatter. Our characters are all new to the city, they should be engaging other characters to learn about the environment around them and build relationships with each other as they do so. Getting that knowledge in OOC chat and applying it ICly isn't just metagaming, it's inorganic and boring as fuck.

some people are here to just stress test the system

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Okay, but it wouldn't kill them to stay in character and avoid using OOC info while doing it, as is expected of us.
You get 2 hours, I get what you are coming from, but at least today I know a lot of people were just trying to break things to check what needed fixing, the server isn't actually open yet

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I dont see the issue with people asking what certain keybinds are or what visual indicator theyre meant to be looking for. if I want to figure out what im supposed to be looking for visually to get a job, especially since for some people the shit wasnt even popping up for them, being met with 'find out in rp' is pretty rude during a playtest

it doesnt go that deep for a 3 day trial

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
Either way, "I don't know how to do/find X" is still useful to know what areas of the UI need clarification

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Maybe have an option like HL2RP does where you can turn it off and on for you specifically? That'd be pretty handy tbh. Like as a new player, I'm gonna have a lot of questions and while yeah, some of them can be found out ICly and I can use the twitter app for it, some would best be asked there for people who willingly want to see it to answer.

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I dont see the issue with people asking what certain keybinds are or what visual indicator theyre meant to be looking for.
Because that's not what OOC is for, and seeing multiple people ask the same thing is frustrating and immersion-breaking when you have all that bold ass text popping up in the corner of your screen for no reason beyond that individual being too lazy to hit escape and spend 30 seconds looking at keybinds or the map that's fairly well labeled for you.

being met with 'find out in rp' is pretty rude during a playtest

try and find things out in rp then before going to ooc??

Either way, "I don't know how to do/find X" is still useful to know where areas of the UI need clarification

I think this can be valid in cases where something is genuinely missing, but from my observations, a lot of it was things that were already fairly well labeled and was a simple matter of people being unwilling to look around themselves and want to be spoonfed info that either could be quickly checked in the menu or is supposed to be figured out in character. But I guess people somehow forgot that Esc has been a standard for game menus on PC for the last 25 years.

Maybe have an option like HL2RP does where you can turn it off and on for you specifically? That'd be pretty handy tbh. Like as a new player, I'm gonna have a lot of questions and while yeah, some of them can be found out ICly and I can use the twitter app for it, some would best be asked there for people who willingly want to see it to answer.

IC info should never be conveyed OOC. If you asked where to rent cars OOC and you used that information ICly and went there to rent a car that is textbook metagaming. That should never be accommodated in any capacity.

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
i think ur making mountains out of molehills
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:16404831

Why do you want to participate in this playtest?: I am a GTA RP simp and I can do things, break things, and write five paragraphs for an incredibly minor bug or some minor frustration.

What time are you most likely to be available for a playtest?: Whenever, my schedule is flexible

i did warn you