Suggestion Disable/Limit Global OOC

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Plz disable or limit global OOC, either disabled for non-staff or with a long timer.

It's annoying having OOC chat pop up every couple seconds with people asking things they could figure out easily either in character or spending 10 seconds just looking at their keybinds.

A local OOC option would be nice though for some scenarios.

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
IC info should never be conveyed OOC. If you asked where to rent cars OOC and you used that information ICly and went there to rent a car that is textbook metagaming. That should never be accommodated in any capacity.
No one is going to use the OOC chat for meaningful metagaming, they'd be banned lol it'll mostly be used for confused people who just need a bit of guidance. This isn't a super serious rp format, and so we should be more lenient on stuff like that imo.

If you don't want to see it, lets add an option to turn it on/off on the UI so the player can pick

Reactions: List

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I would like for the OOC chat to be gone entirely for a full release, save for something like staff use in the rarest of scenarios
for now its really just not the end of the world

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
No one is going to use the OOC chat for meaningful metagaming, they'd be banned lol it'll mostly be used for confused people who just need a bit of guidance. This isn't a super serious rp format, and so we should be more lenient on stuff like that imo.

If you don't want to see it, lets add an option to turn it on/off on the UI so the player can pick

It may not be "meaningful" metagaming, but it's still metagaming. We should be encouraging all players, new and old, to avoid sharing IC information OOCly. Guide new players ICly instead of getting them comfortable with the notion they can exchange IC info OOCly.

Sure, it starts with something small like where to rent a car or where to buy food, but it can, and does eventually escalate into bigger things where actual storylines become affected. You may say slippery slope, I would say boiled crab. Set the standard early, hold that standard, and the risk for bigger problems down the line lessens.

I would like for the OOC chat to be gone entirely for a full release, save for something like staff use in the rarest of scenarios
for now its really just not the end of the world

delete ooc chat for non-staff

also i'll end your world bitch i have some ice cream that is so good that it'll send you to the afterlife.

Aether

Molecule
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
It may not be "meaningful" metagaming, but it's still metagaming. We should be encouraging all players, new and old, to avoid sharing IC information OOCly. Guide new players ICly instead of getting them comfortable with the notion they can exchange IC info OOCly.

Sure, it starts with something small like where to rent a car or where to buy food, but it can, and does eventually escalate into bigger things where actual storylines become affected. You may say slippery slope, I would say boiled crab. Set the standard early, hold that standard, and the risk for bigger problems down the line lessens.
Time to delete the forums because people will share IC stuff on an OOC platform i guess, been a good run guys, pull the plug

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
why not just have the ability to toggle/filter out different types of chats in the chatbox UI

always hated RP servers on gmod muting OOC or having extremely long cooldowns when it could just be filtered out clientside by the user & i can imagine it being just as obnoxious in a different medium

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
why not just have the ability to toggle/filter out different types of chats in the chatbox UI

always hated RP servers on gmod muting OOC or having extremely long cooldowns when it could just be filtered out clientside by the user & i can imagine it being just as obnoxious in a different medium
I had to do that in TG station in ss13, the fucking ooc was atrocious, so I just turned it off, I’ve had fun ever since and they had their ooc win-win

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

god this
i enjoy OOC because I love to share my excitement for the server and have chit chat during slow hours

if it can be toggled, there is no problem. if immersion is a concern, disabling it by default and allowing it to be enabled is an option. although i think an admin message should be done outside of OOC, to make sure everyone gets it