Discord is Making it Harder For You to Sue Them

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
Hey, so apparently Discord decided to quietly update their TOS with a clause that says you must forfeit your right to sue them or take part in a class-action lawsuit.

There's a way to "opt out" if you do so within the next 30 days by emailing [email protected] and giving them your account's nick#number.

This will only affect people in the US, as us Europeans luckily have Article 77 of the GDPR (“Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority”).

Without the ability to congregate for a class action lawsuit, if Discord ever leaks your data or does something catastrophically bad to a large portion of the population you have no way to representatively sue together without each of you individually suing via the arbitrator.

Satirical

Electron
Nebulae
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the "opting out" was just a way for them to collect the names and #'s of every user who is not in agreement with their new TOS so they can prune them from being customers.

This just seems like such a shady thing to do on the part of Discord, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
rather discord collect my data than my government who probably is doing it anyways

at least discord is free.

Postino

Atom
Nebulae
what kinda sensitive data would you have held on discord anyway? akakakakakak
just because it's not your beloved snapchat doesn't mean people aren't retarded enough to send nudes over a messaging platform FOR GAMERS

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
If it's worth noting, the arbitration clause protects you just as much as it protects them. Yes you forfeit your right to sue their ass, but they also forfeit their right to sue you. It also keeps predatory lawyers from crawling up their ass, which is a major issue in the US. Of course, you can always opt out of the arbitration clause without penalty.