Discussion: Fallout Roleplay

Reggie

fresh prince of baghdad
Nebulae

UESJxJW.png

PREMISE

A roleplay setting that takes place in the world of Fallout, given the number of games and possible settings there is, there is a wide range of possibilities for an interesting and engaging roleplay setting set in the Fallout universe. Having played on a multitude of Fallout serious roleplay servers, all of which have ceased to exist or gone into obscurity, I've found that settings with a heavy legion, BoS, and Enclave influence tend to devolve into edgy, and frankly very boring and predictable roleplay. The optimal setting would be prior to the events of Fallout 2, the BoS's power is stunted and they are in very small numbers, the NCR is just starting to grow and expand beyond Shady Sands, the Rangers are a separate organization, the Enclave, despite being the wasteland's greatest threat is contained to their oil rig and their base on Navarro, occasionally attacking and showing a presence on the mainland. San Fransisco is controlled by two conflicting Chinese gangs, the control of the town of Redding's natural resources is being contested by all factions. With this being said, the best setting, in my opinion, is what I just described. A wasteland settlement(could be Redding, could be another area made up for the sake of RP) that is independently controlled by its own faction, being contested for control by other factions. The Legion would not be present, as they wouldn't exist yet, the BoS would have an incredibly small and minor presence, and would mostly be insignificant, the NCR would likely have the largest presence, and would probably be a whitelist-only faction, the Enclave would also have a small presence, likely being an event-only faction, and townspeople/citizens of the town would be the default faction, participating in events and the collective story of the server, ultimately deciding the fate of the town.

This post will be expanded upon as the discussion continues, and when I have more time.

Roosebud

Molecule
Nebulae
Like with frundtech, zombierp, other fallout servers and even stasiland etc,

what would there be to do for the average new player / non-faction/group member?

To me it always felt like it was super heavily dependent on admins doing stuff and people living from event to event/expo. Which usually isn’t a recipe for a server that lasts long.

Reactions: List
Nebulae

UESJxJW.png

PREMISE

A roleplay setting that takes place in the world of Fallout, given the number of games and possible settings there is, there is a wide range of possibilities for an interesting and engaging roleplay setting set in the Fallout universe. Having played on a multitude of Fallout serious roleplay servers, all of which have ceased to exist or gone into obscurity, I've found that settings with a heavy legion, BoS, and Enclave influence tend to devolve into edgy, and frankly very boring and predictable roleplay. The optimal setting would be prior to the events of Fallout 2, the BoS's power is stunted and they are in very small numbers, the NCR is just starting to grow and expand beyond Shady Sands, the Rangers are a separate organization, the Enclave, despite being the wasteland's greatest threat is contained to their oil rig and their base on Navarro, occasionally attacking and showing a presence on the mainland. San Fransisco is controlled by two conflicting Chinese gangs, the control of the town of Redding's natural resources is being contested by all factions. With this being said, the best setting, in my opinion, is what I just described. A wasteland settlement(could be Redding, could be another area made up for the sake of RP) that is independently controlled by its own faction, being contested for control by other factions. The Legion would not be present, as they wouldn't exist yet, the BoS would have an incredibly small and minor presence, and would mostly be insignificant, the NCR would likely have the largest presence, and would probably be a whitelist-only faction, the Enclave would also have a small presence, likely being an event-only faction, and townspeople/citizens of the town would be the default faction, participating in events and the collective story of the server, ultimately deciding the fate of the town.

This post will be expanded upon as the discussion continues, and when I have more time.

yessurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

just played through fallout 2 to fallout 4 and also elder scrolls oblivion

i need this server bro

though, i think a better setting could be selected

the capital wasteland after project purity would be dope, and fallout 3 was and would be good for giving players a feeling of danger and reason to explore (need to find a good map to represent it)

or the new vegas strip to have a dope story, likely post second battle of hoover dam, or may the first battle, and it would make for a nice player-driven conflict where players could fall in with other player-led gangs or even event factions like fiends, boomers and what not

whole lot to explore with a fallout setting

or can do the new vegas strip, possibly during

Reggie

fresh prince of baghdad
Nebulae

what would there be to do for the average new player / non-faction/group member?

To me it always felt like it was super heavily dependent on admins doing stuff and people living from event to event/expo. Which usually isn’t a recipe for a server that lasts long.
I agree, personally as a person who has played on a multitude of FalloutRP servers, I myself have felt that regular people have little to do. However, in my optimal setting people would be running shops in and around the town, doing jobs for the Crimson Caravan and Gun Runners, forming militias, but I agree that this type of server would need a large and dedicated event staff willing to facilitate things on a server.

Nebulae

fallout series has always been known for making ways for the players to have to explore, or enticing them to want to explore

fallout 3's side-quests and great loot required players to motivate themselves to explore the wasteland for these cool experiences

fallout new vegas tied in almost everything to the main story

just take one of these

make cool dungeons (spawning npcs), loot (timer spawn)

use books, terminals and such to tell a story

or even use event/admin help to make plots and such for players to explore

and from there, let other players help in forging a dope conflict/plot or story for the fallout universe
[doublepost=1612202386][/doublepost]
I agree, personally as a person who has played on a multitude of FalloutRP servers, I myself have felt that regular people have little to do. However, in my optimal setting people would be running shops in and around the town, doing jobs for the Crimson Caravan and Gun Runners, forming militias, but I agree that this type of server would need a large and dedicated event staff willing to facilitate things on a server.

All event staff and normal staff really have to do is kick things off and get it started for a week or a few, once it's done, players can drive forward the plot

and after that, all event staff and such have to do is host events now and again to tell other small stories and conflicts, add some explorable places with books, terminals and loot to entice exploration, and allow players to further already established conflicts, or make new ones to rope everyone in

or something like that

i just like fallout bro

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
I fondly remember a certain server's roleplay environment before it eventually turned into Fortnite fallout76 p2w roleplay (Though admittedly it was still pretty p2w before that).
There was a hell of a lot of faction variety, people created their own rp, rules were strict and lax at the same time, there was researchrp in which you could actually achieve things from the research, causing researchers to be in demand (But few could be bothered regardless), along with xenophobic brotherhood and the like

Nebulae
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=731720128 - good for a desert setting, such as fallout 1, 2 or new vegas

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1870721307 - similar to last, actually played a server using this map, and it was pretty dope, plenty of shit to build in the unused areas and caravaneers would have a field day on this road.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=481052033 - fallout 3-ish map, could easily be a part of the capitol, plenty of buildings to settle factions, territory, or even spawn npcs and make into lootable buildings with stories

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1121801379 - another nice desert map, likely used for a conflict considering it's militarized locations, possible ncr v. legion or ncr v. khans conflict, or even BOS v. mutants and shit

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1081194346 - literally the glowing sea bro

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=873112549 - good pack with some good fallout addons

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1376250194 - another good addon

thats my final piece for now though, seriously want to see this, as this was an idea i had a bit ago but gave up on suggesting

Roosebud

Molecule
Nebulae
fallout series has always been known for making ways for the players to have to explore, or enticing them to want to explore

fallout 3's side-quests and great loot required players to motivate themselves to explore the wasteland for these cool experiences

fallout new vegas tied in almost everything to the main story

just take one of these

make cool dungeons (spawning npcs), loot (timer spawn)

use books, terminals and such to tell a story

or even use event/admin help to make plots and such for players to explore

Okay yes, but from a freshly-spawned new player who wasn't around at the server launch perspective? How would one make sure the server supports itself even when there's no admins on, for example? Or how do we avoid people just sprinting around the map in circles looking for stuff to hoard all day?

Unless the goal is to make it a closed-off server with a set narrative or aim for a short overall experience ofcourse

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
Okay yes, but from a freshly-spawned new player who wasn't around at the server launch perspective? How would one make sure the server supports itself even when there's no admins on, for example? Or how do we avoid people just sprinting around the map in circles looking for stuff to hoard all day?

Unless the goal is to make it a closed-off server with a set narrative or aim for a short overall experience ofcourse
Personally, I think that there should be easy to get basic weapons like pistols, rifles and the like while having some extremely expensive items to eternally aim up towards. A limited stash size as well will ensure that hoarding is a lot harder, with lockers/containers for each faction to encourage joining them (Along with a means of paying the faction members). Also a proper looting mechanic.

Nebulae

this would be a good question for a director or staff, as my brain is rather smooth and clean

but, i'd say you could easily make the wasteland dangerous, forcing the hand of hoarders to sell off gear to buy better things, or even divy up their gear to others and form raiding parties/hunter parties

or, simply add alot of common loot to go around, accessible to most newbies and such, the decent, good and great stuff coming out of even more dangerous npc dungeons or event dungeons

and the event conflict should be a long one, spanning all around the map, so new players should be able to get their start in it, and if they dont, could easily offer a introduction sequences with a possible text when beginning, detailing history, or newbies can look to the forums for a timeline

so basically

• (For Hoarders) Make some loot very common so one person doesn't have all the beginning things, and make some sections/regions become increasingly dangerous, forcing the sale of hoarded items or for them to be split between others as to arm raiding groups to enter these regions.
  • (For Hoarders and Newbies to get better loot) Add harder NPC dungeons requiring really good gear, or a team, to break the bank and get the good loot and even better from there, as well as events that serve the same purpose but have more story
  • (For new players to get in on the fun) Add terminals, books and such detailing historic events of the Fallout Universe, and of our universe, to be found, read and explored, so players wanting to really get in on the fun and rp, can explore to seek out answers, and give them a basic briefing at the intro' sequences or make a character screen so, even if they don't find terminals and such, they still have the basics down.
These are the solutions i thought of off the dome, im not great at shiz like this, but i tried, i am more of a gamer myself
[doublepost=1612205161][/doublepost]
this would be a good question for a director or staff, as my brain is rather smooth and clean

but, i'd say you could easily make the wasteland dangerous, forcing the hand of hoarders to sell off gear to buy better things, or even divy up their gear to others and form raiding parties/hunter parties

or, simply add alot of common loot to go around, accessible to most newbies and such, the decent, good and great stuff coming out of even more dangerous npc dungeons or event dungeons

and the event conflict should be a long one, spanning all around the map, so new players should be able to get their start in it, and if they dont, could easily offer a introduction sequences with a possible text when beginning, detailing history, or newbies can look to the forums for a timeline

so basically

• (For Hoarders) Make some loot very common so one person doesn't have all the beginning things, and make some sections/regions become increasingly dangerous, forcing the sale of hoarded items or for them to be split between others as to arm raiding groups to enter these regions.
  • (For Hoarders and Newbies to get better loot) Add harder NPC dungeons requiring really good gear, or a team, to break the bank and get the good loot and even better from there, as well as events that serve the same purpose but have more story
  • (For new players to get in on the fun) Add terminals, books and such detailing historic events of the Fallout Universe, and of our universe, to be found, read and explored, so players wanting to really get in on the fun and rp, can explore to seek out answers, and give them a basic briefing at the intro' sequences or make a character screen so, even if they don't find terminals and such, they still have the basics down.
These are the solutions i thought of off the dome, im not great at shiz like this, but i tried, i am more of a gamer myself

For the first hoarder solution, think i should add;

forcing the hoarder's hands to divy up loot helps spread the wealth, and more common loot allows players to get starting shit even past launch

think thats obvious but i thought id make it more so

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae

I have nothing against slaving away making events and expos for zombieRP and falloutRP.

Two of some of my favorite fantasy settings.

Traders and Crimson Caravan in some iterations would actually end up doing a lot of quests and hire people on as security. There's a lot of ways you could do it or set up businesses to have some means of receiving their specialization's goods.

As much as I wouldn't want Enclave to be in it, I also want to lead it. :S

Roosebud

Molecule
Nebulae
I have nothing against slaving away making events and expos for zombieRP and falloutRP.

Two of some of my favorite fantasy settings.

Traders and Crimson Caravan in some iterations would actually end up doing a lot of quests and hire people on as security. There's a lot of ways you could do it or set up businesses to have some means of receiving their specialization's goods.

As much as I wouldn't want Enclave to be in it, I also want to lead it. :S

Yeah, I know, and that's great. But imo we should always try to prevent admins/events being the only things providing stuff to do. Like, questgiver characters are superb contributions to servers, but they can't take in 20+ different (freshly spawned) new players all complaining that there's nothing to do.

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
I think one way to work against hoarding is to push people more into factions, try foster a kind of 'tight-knit' group conscience in each faction, to encourage people to work together more and fight against another faction as a common cause.

Also something I dislike but I've discovered is quite effective is intentionally design it so that both factions think the other has an unfair advantage.

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
After having played quite a bit of Fallout: New Vegas, I have no idea how you could make a GmodRP out of the setting without turning it into a scripthunting festival due to the focus on scavenging (or just the ability to scavenge) literally everything not bolted to the ground.

Not to mention avoiding turning it into faction wars and filling those factions with proper RP. I already said my piece about Legion, but I'll emphasize that
  • Slavery is hardly efficient enough to be justified, even if given the benefit of doubt by shoving moral compass where sun don't shine
  • Aversion to technology that could easily replace menial labor assigned to slaves and free them up for other pursuits. What little they use makes them diet coke version of the technophobic hypocrites aka Brotherhood of Steel
Considering FTRP suffered from dumb stuff like "lmao shit in your shoe or we'll kill you right outside main hub", I can hardly imagine FORP would be much better. If you can convince me to not be cynical, I'd be impressed.

Deleted member 38

john rebelrp
Nebulae
Yeah, I know, and that's great. But imo we should always try to prevent admins/events being the only things providing stuff to do. Like, questgiver characters are superb contributions to servers, but they can't take in 20+ different (freshly spawned) new players all complaining that there's nothing to do.
staff reliance is a silent killer you're not wrong

start off with the necessity of staff being the only ones who can really supply players with anything to do and you're doomed from launch day

i continuously use GTAW as an example of the contrary; they have zero staff reliance. all staff do is, well, manage; that's all they do. otherwise, players have to make their own way. there's no events, there's nothing like that.

granted GTAW has circumstances that we can't replicate, but the premise is still there; start off without anyone relying on anyone besides themselves and you're already stronger as a result

GenericPlayer

i like firetruck and moster truck
Nebulae
just slap it in a major city, be it reno, the hub, sac-town whatever, there's tons of factions you can choose from within those boundaries like the followers, casino families, brahmin barons, the 80s gang/other raiders, NCR, etc, and they all fill their own niches, not taking into account player made stuff

you already got caps as an organised currency too

what would be cool is if players could choose what their background is, and they get some items according to that background (for example, ranchers could get straw hats and a varmint rifle, guards could get road leathers and a beat up caravan shotgun, etc)

I feel like a fallout server would need to rely upon things like heavy NPC usage, and there'd need to be loot drops (either through NPCs, container, etc) to go along with it

D

Deleted member 3818

I think it's about time we started thinking more so what other game could better suit the purpose of a roleplay server and less what other gmod server we can make. gmod isn't getting any more popular, no new players to be had. It's severely outdated and limited in all aspects, each day lagging further behind what people expect from a video game. If you look at something like GTA world they have made their success of innovating gta roleplay for GTAV whilst their predecessor clinged on to san andreas, refusing to evolve with the times and being left behind as a result.

Matty

Proton
Nebulae
Even if the NCR is the largest power, it should be a whitelist only faction and be totally separate from the main base, controlling a border or a military outpost in the area rather than having a garrison in the town. Every time the NCR is garrisoned in the town, it always ends with people siding with the NCR and sucking them dry.

Be cool to be a year or two before or after Fallout Two; and, like I said, either have them be a separate entity from the main playerbase or just don't have them at all.