Discussion: Halo Roleplay (Human-Covenant War)

MaelRadecs

Best Damn ODST
Nebulae

UXnJZSc.jpg

PREMISE

"Your destruction is the will of the gods, and we are their instrument."

The year is 2552, twenty-seven years after humanity's first contact with the Covenant during the first battle of Harvest in 2525. Humanity was busy fighting itself, and though attempts at peace were made early on, Humanity was met with gunfire.

The death toll is now in the billions, and your home planet, the UNSC's second most populated colony, Reach, is under attack by the Fleet of Particular Justice following the fall of the initial invasion force led by the CSO-class supercarrier Long Night of Solace.

350 million military personnel are present, but it isn't looking good for Reach. Each day, the Covenant makes ample progress in destroying what was once a relatively nice place to live despite its faults.

One thing is certain as you look down at your trusty MA37 Assault Rifle...

You'll take many of those alien bastards down with you.

SERVER

This server wouldn't just cover the Fall of Reach, but any events during the Human-Covenant War and perhaps others if it kicked off and managed to gain some popularity. It'd mostly be an event server, where every couple of months or so, a different conflict would be covered and new characters would be made to allow people a fresh experience.

Depending on the event, the server would feature different factions, like the Covenant, the branches of the UNSC, and the Insurrection to a degree. The covenant would most likely be consisting of NPC's or an event team, having little roleplay as the main focus would be on the UNSC.

As for slots, you wouldn't need too many and could probably settle for forty-fifty, possibly more if you really wanted to put an emphasis on an entire planet being at war.

FEATURES

Weapons:
Pretty much anything from Halo that fits the time period. You wouldn't need much, just a variety for both UNSC and Covenant forces. All of these already exist on the workshop, so you're pretty much set in regards to weapons.

Vehicles:
Wouldn't need much for these either. Although I'm not sure if Halo vehicles are on the workshop, I'm guessing by now they are. Warthogs, Ghosts, Wraiths, Scorpions, Pelicans, Phantoms, etc.

Maps:
Anything that can resemble Reach in the rural areas and the more populated cities. Not very complicated, would probably switch up every couple of weeks or so depending on what's going on.

Of course, once Reach inevitably falls, you'd discuss with the lore-team what other events could be done and the maps that could be used for said events.

Mindset both OOC and IC:
Chances are, you're playing as a soldier in the UNSC Army. You may have had contact with the Covenant before but it's highly unlikely. You've most likely been acting as planetary defense, fighting Insurrectionists and the like until the invasion started. Considering your planet is being invaded, you've likely lost contact with your family, and the Covenant outnumber you, you shouldn't be treating this like any ordinary Tuesday. Rely on your brothers and sisters to your left and right and hold the line.

As for the player themselves, this would be a military roleplay with an emphasis on combat and moments following that to reflect and have some passive. Most situations would likely be lengthy s2k engagements with certain situations being s2rp depending on the circumstances.

You're encouraged to 'let go' a little and accept your fate, whatever it may be. Don't try and aggressively hold onto your character, as new events will come about, and to keep things fresh, it's recommended that you make new characters for each separate event.

STAFF

Staff would consist of people that are passionate and knowledgeable of Halo and all of the lore surrounding it, with an emphasis on the Human-Covenant war and the various battles that took place.

Because of the nature of the setting, event-staff who are active contributors would need to be present and willing to create situations to allow for those on the server to engage each other or offer small narratives to allow for passive situations.

WHY HALO?

It's probably one of if not the most popular FPS game's to date. It has tons of lore that is still being expanded upon and there is a lot of people who are currently active within the community that like Halo.

There's also a lot of content already on Gmod that would make development less of a hassle for the community and I think it would attract a good number of new people to the player base.

It's Halo, why the hell not?

CONCLUSION

This isn't anything official, mostly inspired by the recent discussion threads for different servers. Feel free to post your ideas on here and whether you think this would be cool or not. End of the day, it's just an idea but I figure there are quite a bit of people in the community that are passionate about Halo and might enjoy the thought of a Nebulous Halo Roleplay server.

Last edited:

Shwani

Electron
Nebulae
Will covenant individuals be portrayed as characters or just antagonist enemies similar to the role of terminators in TnB?

Will the covenant speak english or their native sangheili lingua franca to emphasize their alien origin?

Will Spartans be utilized, and if yes, how?

Can I butcher jackals to eat them? (they look like chicken)

Reactions: List

MaelRadecs

Best Damn ODST
Nebulae
Will covenant individuals be portrayed as characters or just antagonist enemies similar to the role of terminators in TnB?

Will the covenant speak english or their native sangheili lingua franca to emphasize their alien origin?

Will Spartans be utilized, and if yes, how?

Can I butcher jackals to eat them? (they look like chicken)
Antagonist enemies, perhaps some event characters here and there to play them with more of a narrative focus but it would depend on what's happening. Server would mainly be about the UNSC, probably the most familiar of the factions.

Covenant would speak their own lingo. Maybe in future events, if there's more of this, Sangheili could speak English.

Spartans would be utilized similarly to how they're portrayed in the novels following Onyx when a good majority of the Spartan III's were wiped out. They'll be small commando squads going deep into occupied territories with their own separate objectives. A team may also handle evacuations or just be somewhere in the fight. Compared to the Army, they would be seen as more of an event faction, as the regular players playing the characters in the Army should be the one's getting the spotlight and should be the main focus of the Fall of Reach event. Of course, there'll be moments when Spartans are needed, so they'll be utilized in a flexible manner.

To your last question, yes.

Monks

Proton
Nebulae
I think it'd be cool if we could do a server in like New Alexandria. Maybe have it be normal for a month or so and then boom Fall of Reach event, we could even have a thing where a bunch of civvies observe Nobel Six during "Lone Wolf", or they could be evacuated during that one mission with the AA-guns. Hell if they get on the wrong ship they could crash lmfao.

MaelRadecs

Best Damn ODST
Nebulae
I think it'd be cool if we could do a server in like New Alexandria. Maybe have it be normal for a month or so and then boom Fall of Reach event, we could even have a thing where a bunch of civvies observe Nobel Six during "Lone Wolf", or they could be evacuated during that one mission with the AA-guns. Hell if they get on the wrong ship they could crash lmfao.
Ultimately what I think would work best is to focus less on Spartans and more on the soldiers, the bulwark of the UNSC fighting for the survival of one of their largest colony worlds.

Spartans would have a presence although they'd mostly be seen as a supplement to the main focus, that being the UNSC Army during the events.

Civilians could also be an option but when I really think this through, I'm gonna go as far as to say that instead of a dedicated server to Halo it'd be better off as a one-off kind of thing similar to how Dallas and Powley among the rest of their selected team are running Alplands.

Run it for a week or two, open up each day with a new idea in mind and let people experience those challenges as they come. Although the fall of Reach is inevitable, the choices and decisions of the characters partaking wouldn't be set in stone, and I think allowing these characters to make what they will of the event itself would be something phenomenal if done for a week or so before moving on to other genres or perhaps another point in the timeline a few months down the line (Halo is absolutely massive, there's a lot that can be done that a single server cannot cover if run on a 24/7 basis like HL2RP).

A dedicated server, as much as I'd appreciate it, just doesn't seem to be viable for the kind of vision I've presented with this.

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
i've played halo RP with character creation/character sheets that adjust skill rolls and it was pretty based.

brute jumped on my leg and crushed it.

good times.

should be done as a small campaign like dnd imo

Oxy[Morons]

ส็ส็็ส็็็็ส็็็็ส็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็ส็็็็ส็็็็ส็็ส็
Nebulae
i've played halo RP with character creation/character sheets that adjust skill rolls and it was pretty based.

brute jumped on my leg and crushed it.

good times.

should be done as a small campaign like dnd imo
yeah and then you never played again man what the heck?

halo rp is based
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
20200815203734_1.jpg

2F6EC7B65597C932F678545CCC41E1B26D7A553C
20200913040252_1.jpg
20200822164829_1.jpg
20200725184130_1.jpg

Last edited:

Dallas

event guy
Nebulae
played a brilliant temp server of Halo RP on Dingo-5

was fairly simple stuff, ODST blasting away alien npc jackals and grunts and elites then doing rolls and s2rp with the chieftans/hunters/zealot elites

it was fun, a bit of a shooting gallery at times but it didn't overstay its welcome, ended about a week, and i had a good time

Oxy[Morons]

ส็ส็็ส็็็็ส็็็็ส็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็ส็็็็ส็็็็ส็็ส็
Nebulae
played a brilliant temp server of Halo RP on Dingo-5

was fairly simple stuff, ODST blasting away alien npc jackals and grunts and elites then doing rolls and s2rp with the chieftans/hunters/zealot elites

it was fun, a bit of a shooting gallery at times but it didn't overstay its welcome, ended about a week, and i had a good time
i was shown a lot of screenshots of dingo-5 and it seemed really good
in fact i was so upset with having missed out i was convinced by the same person showing me the screenshots to open up a server for it briefly

was a good refresher from the typical gmod experience, tbh. a lot of fun can be had blasting split jaws and stout midgets

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
HaloRP works well when you put the gritty nature of the average marine to the fore. Even a Grunt can rip your arms off if they get close (they're fucking strong compared to a human), and an Elite's shield can eat a good chunk of your mag before it goes.

Its good stuff.

not tiger

Proton
Nebulae
HaloRP works well when you put the gritty nature of the average marine to the fore. Even a Grunt can rip your arms off if they get close (they're fucking strong compared to a human), and an Elite's shield can eat a good chunk of your mag before it goes.

Its good stuff.

we had characters killed in the first two events of our campaign whilst i played on exothermal, which was @Oxy[Morons] halo server. getting tossed by brutes wasnt unusual. later into the campaign our commanding officer got fragged and my character lost their arm, only surviving due to high rolls. it got pretty chaotic

we also used willpower checks which resulted in some characters having mental breaks

6D3C1A2CDC5A99FB6C04AE4DF408E4007BFD4603

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
we had characters killed in the first two events of our campaign whilst i played on exothermal, which was @Oxy[Morons] halo server. getting tossed by brutes wasnt unusual. later into the campaign our commanding officer got fragged and my character lost their arm, only surviving due to high rolls. it got pretty chaotic

we also used willpower checks which resulted in some characters having mental breaks

6D3C1A2CDC5A99FB6C04AE4DF408E4007BFD4603
So I'm not saying we need a Neb HaloRP event but like

@Oxy[Morons] do it

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
I admined the TnB Halo RP and allow me to forewarn you that this setting is not a good idea unless you intentionally want to focus it as a temporary setting with a defined start and finish

Halo has the unfortunate predicament of being too leaned on its main story for the bulk of its cool content. If you focus on all the things that make Halo's setting really damn cool, you'll be almost entirely UNSC-focused with very little opportunities for different kinds of characters. On the other hand, if you choose a setting/dynamic that allows you to explore more character options beyond UNSC milsim, you'll be restricting yourself at large from the juicier parts of Halo's setting. That trade-off became very apparent during the course of TnB's Halo RP, to which was barely salvaged by the end. I've had to kill many of my babies and this was one of them.

I'm a huge Halo fan but this is kind of a Sisphyean task as far as trying to make Halo a long-term, functioning setting.