• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rictalspace

Manager of Fist Industries
Nebulae
I said I was thinking about it....

1024px-The_Walking_Dead_2010_logo.svg.png

Disclaimer
This is not an announcement, nor is it a confirmation of anything. This is a discussion based on my own thoughts and is not confirmed to be the next server etc.

The Premise

The world has fallen to a zombie apocalypse. A virus of unknown origin, that causes extreme fever and death brings the victims back to a state of frenzied animal-like behaviour, has wiped out 95% of humanity.

The survivors of this apocalypse now struggle to survive against hordes of the undead, dwindling supplies, and each other. Those brave enough group up together for protection, whilst others go it alone.

The undead show no remorse, no hesitancy, no respite. They tear through living flesh like paper until they move on. Little is known about their behaviours, but the only way to keep them down is to destroy the brain.

The Server

Slots
The idea of this is to keep it limited, i.e. not a 128 slot server. One server should only reach around 40-50 slots maximum. When you add NPC’s to the mix, going over 50 will only slow everything down and ruin the experience.

In-Game Features
Hunger/Thirst
Therefore, hunger and thirst should kill - meaning you’re required to put in risk to survive.

PK rules should be strict, there would be a disclaimer that you shouldn’t expect to survive long - so make the most of the life you have.

NPC’s
Zombies will be incredibly difficult to kill, with headshots being the only way to kill them. Making even a single zombie a danger. But to not have them be overpowered, they should be limited to start with. Sometimes running is better than fighting.

To also increase the risk, shots/loud noises should attract more zombies.

The attack speed of zombies should be tested, to allow people to use melee weapons effectively without the worry of being instantly hit. Perhaps a low chance to be hit by a zombie?

Player Zombies
Given to select players - some zombies should be roleplayed with to give 1 to 1 engagements much more fun and exploration. Scuffles and what not rather than just running to and from an NPC.

If successful, perhaps the chance to play as a zombie becomes second nature where dying isn’t necessarily the end.

Damage
As with TWD, a single scratch/bite can infect a person. This will tie in with the ‘do not expect to live long’.

To give some ability to survive, a zombie hit should have a % chance to actually hit, with a small % chance of being infected. Being infected obviously is the end of the road.

Maps
Maps should be on a continuous monthly or bi-weekly cycle. Being holed up in the same area doesn’t make sense for this kind of setting. Perhaps in the future where towns start to be created it may be prudent to stay on one map. But ideally you would want to keep the map size small to direct server resources at NPC activity.

Weapons
Fairly common to find melee weapons to defend yourself with, with guns being uncommon and ammo being rare.

Vehicles
One of the main things in TWD is cars and fuel. Whether this is integrated or not would have to be for discussion.

Mindsets
This is an important section, as I would hope the mindsets here are different to HL2RP. What do I mean by mindsets? The structure of thoughts you have whilst playing the game, how you act and how you react to things.

This would be a bit more hardcore in terms of living spans. You shouldn’t expect to see people living months at a time. Therefore, for:
  • Players
    • Fear, but necessity of risk to survive. You should expect to be killed and shouldn’t be hiding away just to keep your character alive.
    • Should be pushing for RP over life expectancy or weapons to look good.
  • Staff
    • Leniency in terms of authorisation requests/item scavenging. Always try to say yes unless a request doesn’t make sense/is too much.

Story Continuation

Ideally the story would start off with scavenging is the name of the game to survive.

A few months on would see people banding together to create groups/towns with the plant growing options taken from HL2RP.

Bandit groups would form as player vs. player activity ramps up with the zombies being a side note - even used as weapons as seen in the series.

Coding Requirements
  • Chance system on being hit/infected
  • Infection system
  • Zombie/NPC spawn system
  • Loot system, more integrated than the current HL2RP one
  • Base gamemode of survivors etc
    • Starting gear, perhaps giving everyone one custom item of their choosing when spawning
  • Prop damage, allowing zombies to enter through doors/props when attacking

Staff Requirements
  • The idea would be to try and limit the staff required, so that inactivity of staff doesn’t kill the server.
  • A limited staff team to keep the rules, and perhaps an event/zombie spawning team
  • A server director who’s passionate about the setting that isn’t me.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-13_11-58-35.png
    upload_2021-1-13_11-58-35.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 41

mert

Atom
Nebulae
walking dead would just turn out to be frundtechRP except you will now slowly die from infectiom once a zombie scratches u

infact i think a left 4 dead rp would be cooler

Rictalspace

Nebulae
walking dead would just turn out to be frundtechRP except you will now slowly die from infecting once a zombie scratches u

I was thinking this too. I'd try and avoid any sort of special infected to avoid that, among a few other things Frundtech got wrong...

Reactions: List

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
walking dead would just turn out to be frundtechRP except you will now slowly die from infectiom once a zombie scratches u

Issue with L4D against TWD is that TWD from the start has a bigger focus on the development of a life in a zombie apocalypse, and L4D is a run and gun game

GenericPlayer

i like firetruck and moster truck
Nebulae
the big brand IP of the walking dead would bring new players, but I think the theme has already been explored a lot by other communities

what about 28 days later, less guns, faster zombies, new setting too

or you could make it a new IP entirely and take inspirations from several sources, would allow for a bit more creativity

mert

Atom
Nebulae
Issue with L4D against TWD is that TWD from the start has a bigger focus on the development of a life in a zombie apocalypse, and L4D is a run and gun game

HL2 is a literal tech demo made to showcase some epic physics

for some reason there's a roleplay community that has been going strong for five years around said tech demo

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
HL2 is a literal tech demo made to showcase some epic physics

for some reason there's a roleplay community that has been going strong for five years around said tech demo

Yes but said "tech demo" has multiple games, and a good amount of background lore/information/concepts given by the very writers, and the community itself has developed another buttload for the past 20 years.

I have yet to see actual lore behind L4D other than old man dies and fanfics in tumblr.
[doublepost=1610540599][/doublepost]
the big brand IP of the walking dead would bring new players, but I think the theme has already been explored a lot by other communities

what about 28 days later, less guns, faster zombies, new setting too

or you could make it a new IP entirely and take inspirations from several sources, would allow for a bit more creativity

On this point, what @cns just said is godly based

No More Room in Hell is a great gameplay style base for a server of this kind

mert

Atom
Nebulae
Yes but said "tech demo" has multiple games, and a good amount of background lore/information/concepts given by the very writers, and the community itself has developed another buttload for the past 20 years.

I have yet to see actual lore behind L4D other than old man dies and fanfics in tumblr.

Not enough to create what we have on neb. We have taken a lot of creative liberty to make the lore centered around the gamemode we have. I don't understand why the same logic can't be applied to L4D.

Rictalspace

Nebulae
Not enough to create what we have on neb. We have taken a lot of creative liberty to make the lore centered around the gamemode we have. I don't understand why the same logic can't be applied to L4D.
That same logic could also be used on TWD to be fair

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae

Not enough? Do you really think neb just made up stuff from under a rock? Server has developed over several years. Stop comparing a community that began with cops being edgy and civilians eating pale tasteless goo and is now one big complex developed mode to a concept that hasn't even been properly explored or put in practice yet lol.

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
half life 2 is quite fun actually it’s just really old now