DNA test results

von Preußen

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I know not many people on nebulous or really anywhere actually take these tests, but if you've taken an ancestry test with Ancestry or 23andMe, feel free to post your results here. Lots of people from Europe probably already know what they are without having to take a test, but us amerimutts need something to do.

For the record, I don't expect this thread to get very many if any replies, but I have nothing better to do, so whatever.

I'll start with my results:

e62a03ba4f5afc2880ab810b39dfa86c.png

9f62664ce32326d79755eecdfa1025ab.png

I'm fairly surprised at the most likely match being London. Then again, that could be because London is probably one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the UK, even though it is minority British at the moment.

My British ancestry is all likely Old Stock/Pioneer Stock, from the initial British settlers who colonized North America in the 17th and 18th centuries. More recent estimates put the American free population on the eve of revolution as roughly 60% English, 85% British, and 98% Protestant.

From 1776 to about 1920 people of British descent made up over 50% of the American population, dropping below that around the time of the great depression. Today, they still comprise a plurality of the white American population.

0e1dd57f1dae70d8c7ec408b26f46835.png

The Italian ancestry is self explanatory. North-east Metropolitan areas of the US were hot spots for Southern and Eastern European immigration. Sicily is relatively interesting to me, however. I'd assume thats where the North African came from as well.

y'know what my favorite result is, though?

Oh, and, according to the website:
To determine your ancestral breakdown, we use an algorithm that individually looks at short pieces of DNA across your genome. We compare each piece to DNA from reference populations from around the world (i.e. thousands of individuals with known ancestry). When a piece of your DNA resembles the DNA from a specific reference population with a high degree of confidence, it is assigned to that population. Sometimes a piece of DNA resembles reference DNA from several populations, in which case it is assigned to a "broad" ancestry (e.g. Northwestern European). If a piece of DNA does not closely resemble reference DNA from any populations, then that piece of DNA shows up in your results as Unassigned ancestry. These assignments are tallied across your genome to determine your final results. By default, your results are calculated at a 50% confidence level; you can see how your results change with different confidence levels in the Chromosome Painting section.
Recent ancestor locations (found in your Ancestry Detail reports) are intended to complement your ancestral breakdown and provide a more recent and granular view of your ancestry. To determine these results, we look for identical pieces of DNA that you have in common with individuals of known ancestry from around the world. Reference populations for recent ancestor locations are comprised of over 400,000 customers, and this number will continue to grow as our customer database expands. Each recent ancestor location has its own unique demographic history, so we've calibrated our algorithm to better reflect these differences. For a given recent ancestor location, we indicate our confidence in the result, reported as "possible match," "likely match," or "highly likely match." If we are not able to detect recent ancestry from a location with confidence, we report this to you as "not detected."

466b207d8357f282e4398de61b509c17.png

im sure you all know what this means

i can finally say it

see you in the next post my :heyzeus:

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
83a442e026.png

Somehow you managed to have ancestry in the absolutely worst parts of Europe lmao

Fucking hell, London, Ireland and G*rmany

von Preußen

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
83a442e026.png

Somehow you managed to have ancestry in the absolutely worst parts of Europe lmao

Fucking hell, London, Ireland and G*rmany
i thought someone from denmark would have made fun of the southern european ancestry more then anything.

proud roman

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
My big sis considered giving an ancestry test thing as a cool bday/anniversary gift for our parents, but it turns out the services here sell all that info for third parties. That's kinda cringe, so she didn't end up getting one.

D

Deleted member 3818

my mum is obsessed with these lol, always tryna tell me about how we're related to some scottish clan or something.

im there like bruh, you just posted cringe

von Preußen

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
my mum is obsessed with these lol, always tryna tell me about how we're related to some scottish clan or something.

im there like bruh, you just posted cringe
celts are the most ethnocentric people on earth and i unironically love it.

i debated a scotsman about whether or not the english even exist, he was adamant that the english are celts in denial.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
i dont have 100 quid to throw away to learn who my grand grandparents were

von Preußen

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
i dont have 100 quid to throw away to learn who my grand grandparents were
well yeah for Europeans it makes sense, considering you guys have been living amongst yourselves for thousands of years. It's highly likely your parents, great grandparents, and great great grandparents are all of the same ethnic group. America, while it used to be relatively ethnically homogeneous, has had a great deal of ethnic mixing among different European groups since the 19th and 20th centuries, so we actually need these tests to figure out what our ancestry is. Most Americans don't even have an ethnic group that makes up a majority of their ancestry, such as myself. It's mainly just a shitload of different European ethnic groups crammed into one identity called "American".

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
well yeah for Europeans it makes sense, considering you guys have been living amongst yourselves for thousands of years. It's highly likely your parents, great grandparents, and great great grandparents are all of the same ethnic group. America, while it used to be relatively ethnically homogeneous, has had a great deal of ethnic mixing among different European groups since the 19th and 20th centuries, so we actually need these tests to figure out what our ancestry is. Most Americans don't even have an ethnic group that makes up a majority of their ancestry, such as myself. It's mainly just a shitload of different European ethnic groups crammed into one identity called "American".
you don't really need these tests lmao

D

Deleted member 3818

celts are the most ethnocentric people on earth and i unironically love it.

i debated a scotsman about whether or not the english even exist, he was adamant that the english are celts in denial.
yeah some people take that shit way too far lol, thinking they're the embodiment of a celtic warrior or something

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
Fuck these tests. Don't want the american government to get my DNA into their banks and I certainly don't want third parties to come in and buy my DNA off.

Don't need a test to tell me that 90% of my ancestors are scandinavian forest oogas either

bubblegum

you should see me in a crown
Nebulae
I have proud Welsh, Irish, German, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Mexican, and Native American roots.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Nexus is 79% genuine mongoloid

I'm British, Irish and Scottish (in order of 'actually have their blood in me'). My parents are British and my dad's grandparents came from southern Ireland.