Serious Faith/Religion Thread

How do you identify in terms of religion?

• Christian (Catholic/Orthodox)

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Christian (Protestant/Baptist/Methodist/Non-Denominational)

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Muslim

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Hindu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sikh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buddhist

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Jewish

• Other Religion (Norse, Pagan, Etc.)

• Spiritual/Agnostic

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Irreligious/Atheist

Votes: 15 31.3%

• Total voters

Warwick

Mum Looks Like Tracy Beaker
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Hi all. To many of you this might seem out of place, particularly from myself - however, I've been religious for around six months now, and am interested in hearing other people's perspectives on faith and religion. I know that there's a lot of us in this community that are indeed religious or consider themselves to have faith in some form, and it'd be nice for us to have a place to talk and converse charitably and in good faith.

I personally am attending a beautiful Catholic Church devoted to St. Francis de Sales, pictured below:
irOdM54.jpeg

I'll be beginning my RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) from next month, and am keen to hear other peoples' perspective on religion, RCIA, or just how their faith has impacted or impacts their life on a daily basis. Thanks, all.

Disclaimer: Arguments are fine on this thread, so long as they're charitable and in good faith.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
im atheist but I hold a lot of respect for people’s faiths and beliefs, so long as they don’t impose their doctrine on those that aren’t part of the same creed

personally I follow Marcus Aurelius’ ideal which is to just live a good and virtuous life, and any just god would see that, regardless of my devotion, I’d lived a life in their virtues, and any god that damns me regardless wasn’t worth devoting myself to, and if there is no god, I’d have lived a life that’ll leave my legacy on the world and let people remember me fondly, which is the best earthly legacy one can impart to their children, family, and friends

Reactions: List

Warwick

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
im atheist but I hold a lot of respect for people’s faiths and beliefs, so long as they don’t impose their doctrine on those that aren’t part of the same creed

personally I follow Marcus Aurelius’ ideal which is to just live a good and virtuous life, and any just god would see that, regardless of my devotion, I’d lived a life in their virtues, and any god that damns me regardless wasn’t worth devoting myself to, and if there is no god, I’d have lived a life that’ll leave my legacy on the world and let people remember me fondly, which is the best earthly legacy one can impart to their children, family, and friends
That's something that i've always respected about you from the moment I told you about my faith, from the get-go you were open about how you disagreed, but how you respected my opinion and always were open to hearing about my experiences.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
That's something that i've always respected about you from the moment I told you about my faith, from the get-go you were open about how you disagreed, but how you respected my opinion and always were open to hearing about my experiences.

I honestly wish I could find god, hearing you bounce back from a near-suicidal depression in real time was genuinely like watching someone put a springboard beneath you and bringing you to a higher height than you were at the start

truly have to be in the dark to see the light, and while I never want to be in a place as dark as you were, I envy your faith

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
There are many religions, therefore many potential Gods. Imagine the true God was the one worshipped by some small sub-Sarahan African tribe between 5298 B.C. to 5113 B.C. and he will damn us all for not believing in him

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
There are many religions, therefore many potential Gods. Imagine the true God was the one worshipped by some small sub-Sarahan African tribe between 5298 B.C. to 5113 B.C. and he will damn us all for not believing in him

many religions in the modern day have agreed that their deities are either the same being, or aspects of the same being

the many gods problem is solved by just hedging your bet and picking the one you resonate with the most

in terms of pure statistics you're always going to be wrong (one god out of untold millions), but the whole point of faith is believing in something

Warwick

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
many religions in the modern day have agreed that their deities are either the same being, or aspects of the same being

the many gods problem is solved by just hedging your bet and picking the one you resonate with the most

in terms of pure statistics you're always going to be wrong (one god out of untold millions), but the whole point of faith is believing in something
No God worthy of worship will condemn someone to hell for failure to be exposed to His light.

Nebulae
im agnostic as shit but used to be very serious about islam as a kid (to the point id run around the house turning down all tv/music for every call to prayer (that's 4-5 times a day))

grew estranged from it in puberty (and considered myself an atheist for a while) but that 'core' never went away and i have come to realize i have a great need to be 'religious' about things in general. i have noted for years that i like to play fanatical/religious characters in my roleplay, so while i don't literally believe in the religions themselves i still enjoy 'acting' religious

i think faith is inescapable and natural, and if you dont fill that gap in your soul with religion you're inevitably going to fill it with something material (and hopefully not too shallow)

Warwick

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
i think faith is inescapable and natural, and if you dont fill that gap in your soul with religion you're inevitably going to fill it with something material (and hopefully not too shallow)
100% agree. What I've found over the recent months is that I filled that spiritual void with alcohol and indulgence, and selfishness - something I'm hoping that I can fix. I'd say I've made strides, but there's a way to go. Everyone can be better with faith, in my opinion.

Zarail

Atom
Nebulae
I've mentioned it a couple of times before, but I used to call myself Christian when I was young. It was less because of a sincere belief in god and more because the uncertainty of what comes after death terrified me so much that i just really wanted to believe in a heaven. I think i stopped calling myself christian around age 13 or 14, and I've been calling myself agnostic since then.
I've voiced my skepticism towards organized religion several times on this forum, but I don't think religion is a completely bad thing, and can even be interesting to study.
The Swedish Church's charity organization has a slogan that goes something like "We all live under the same heavens" and I think that's the part of religion I've admired most - the humanitarian aspect, making life better for your fellow man.
We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
Personally I'm atheist with a lot of agnostic beliefs

I don't particularly subscribe to any of the established religious faiths but I'm still of the belief that it is entirely plausible for there to be higher beings than us, possibly on another plane of existence or beyond our comprehension. Spirituality is something I see a lot of good in, the human mind is incredible and capable of so much when it's focused on the right things.

rob

Nebulae
Personally I'm atheist with a lot of agnostic beliefs

I don't particularly subscribe to any of the established religious faiths but I'm still of the belief that it is entirely plausible for there to be higher beings than us, possibly on another plane of existence or beyond our comprehension. Spirituality is something I see a lot of good in, the human mind is incredible and capable of so much when it's focused on the right things.
Pretty much the same here, I studied religion for a couple of years and I'm interested in the different practices but I don't think I'll ever come to firm terms with my beliefs, at the end of the day - who knows?

Warwick

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Pretty much the same here, I studied religion for a couple of years and I'm interested in the different practices but I don't think I'll ever come to firm terms with my beliefs, at the end of the day - who knows?
Sometimes it comes out of nowhere and surprises you - nice to hear about your studies of theology though.

It’s nice to see that we’re all able to just talk so openly and respectfully about our faith or even lack there of.

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
Growing up around both Christianity and its' traditions and Judaism and its' traditions and with that baggage I'm genuinely often a little conflicted and tend to mostly sway between the agnostic belief of there being some sort of spiritual divinity, and just straight up subscribing to Jewish tradition and philosophy.

I do have a sincere respect for people who are religious, and sometimes wish I was more involved with it since I like the sense of community and belonging it gives.

Mostly I just say I'm Jewish for ease, besides most of the holidays I celebrate are Jewish (except Christmas).

Warwick

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Growing up around both Christianity and its' traditions and Judaism and its' traditions and with that baggage I'm genuinely often a little conflicted and tend to mostly sway between the agnostic belief of there being some sort of spiritual divinity, and just straight up subscribing to Jewish tradition and philosophy.

I do have a sincere respect for people who are religious, and sometimes wish I was more involved with it since I like the sense of community and belonging it gives.

Mostly I just say I'm Jewish for ease, besides most of the holidays I celebrate are Jewish (except Christmas).
Maybe one day it'll call you back, brother. Thanks for the reply. Glad to see another person with knowledge of and reverence for faith, even if theirs isn't entirely steadfast at this time.

Beanz0nGh0st

Proton
Nebulae
I'm brought up in a Protestant (Anglican) household, I followed it until I found Wicca which resonated as I have a lot of ancestors whom were "witches", but they were more wise men/women, cunning folk which practiced various white and green magics along side herbalism and alchemy. Some were killed during the witch trials, wrongly so, but I do understand the fears. After practicing Wicca for a period of time, I found some similarities with Paganism and Christianity thus beginning to incorporate a lot of rituals and systems from both new age and old age paganism with various beliefs and tenets with Protestant Christianity. I can go on more with my religious ideology and belief but that can fill a manifesto or a novella sized script.

Warwick

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I'm brought up in a Protestant (Anglican) household, I followed it until I found Wicca which resonated as I have a lot of ancestors whom were "witches", but they were more wise men/women, cunning folk which practiced various white and green magics along side herbalism and alchemy. Some were killed during the witch trials, wrongly so, but I do understand the fears. After practicing Wicca for a period of time, I found some similarities with Paganism and Christianity thus beginning to incorporate a lot of rituals and systems from both new age and old age paganism with various beliefs and tenets with Protestant Christianity. I can go on more with my religious ideology and belief but that can fill a manifesto or a novella sized script.
I have my own opinions as a Catholic (or prospective Catholic) on Witchcraft and the like, but whatever draws you closer to the light and makes you a better person is the main thing from a universal perspective. If you wish to talk faith in a deeper concept, let me know.

Beanz0nGh0st

Proton
Nebulae
I have my own opinions as a Catholic (or prospective Catholic) on Witchcraft and the like, but whatever draws you closer to the light and makes you a better person is the main thing from a universal perspective. If you wish to talk faith in a deeper concept, let me know.
I understand your views, Catholicism is traditional and the rules came from a time when they were truly needed and resonate with the needs and survival of the people at the time. Though the rules are there and set in stone for good, for example never to waste semen due to the dwindling population because of the harsh climate and rules of survival at the time, thus children were valuable at the time (this later turned into contraception and abortion as prohibited); Marriage was there to mostly protect the children, so that the children can have both a mother and father figure (while protecting the status of the children, otherwise they would be bastards), also to help prevent various afflictions to be under control and reign in adultery.

While I feel religion and to an extent mythology is a good guide to live a somewhat clean life and give purpose to people's lives, it needs to be changed in such a way that it needs to accommodate the changing climate of the modern world; I.E. overpopulation, allow abortion for cases of rape, incest, underage parents and health difficulties for either the child or mother (or both) - While now marriage is expensive, especially when divorce comes into the question with one side, mostly the men having to lose a lot when it should be you leave the marriage with what you came in with. What's your property or finance is your own.

The skewed views on witchcraft is muddied in the past because it had links with the traditions of pre-Christian religions, ergo appraising and revering the old Gods (false idols in the eyes the Abrahamic religions) which has been twisted in worshipping the Devil... But also a lot of it stems in from genuine misunderstanding of the world around them, anything new or out of the ordinary - be it good or bad was often faced with suspicion, if not, outright hostility. I say this while often magic was viewed as a genuine science and often wise men/women, cunning folk, witches were allowed to provide services but then later attacked if a disaster of disease, famine or weather struck the lands. Non-magic folk like licenced practitioners, doctors, surgeons, herbalists, alchemists and later scientists weren't even safe from being labelled as a witch and later tried before death.

Warwick

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I understand your views, Catholicism is traditional and the rules came from a time when they were truly needed and resonate with the needs and survival of the people at the time.
It's the Apostolic and first Church, so it's always going to relate most closely to Jesus' will.
for example never to waste semen due to the dwindling population because of the harsh climate and rules of survival at the time, thus children were valuable at the time (this later turned into contraception and abortion as prohibited);
That's 100% not why you should avoid masturbation or promiscuity. We can talk about that privately if you wish, but it's a touchy subject. Contraception and abortion being prohibited are to do with the sanctity of life, but if we're going to have a discussion about that, I want to make sure we both do it in good faith.
Marriage was there to mostly protect the children, so that the children can have both a mother and father figure (while protecting the status of the children, otherwise they would be bastards), also to help prevent various afflictions to be under control and reign in adultery.
This is still the case today. People need both a mother and father where possible to avoid the evident negatives that come without one.
While I feel religion and to an extent mythology is a good guide to live a somewhat clean life and give purpose to people's lives, it needs to be changed in such a way that it needs to accommodate the changing climate of the modern world; I.E. overpopulation, allow abortion for cases of rape, incest and health difficulties for either the child or mother (or both)
Comparing religion and mythology is a bit of a stretch. Also, the idea that religion must be changed is heretical to most religions. Our rules have been given to us by our religious leaders, and aren't subject to change. Overpopulation isn't a real issue, despite what the modern media would say - and as for my opinions on rape and incest, unless the mother's health is at risk from a pregnancy, she should not be terminating a baby. It's my opinion that regardless of whatever SA might have taken place, a child is still a child, and killing that child won't un-assault that woman, as terrible as a situation as that is.
While now marriage is expensive, especially when divorce comes into the question with one side, mostly the men having to lose a lot when it should be you leave the marriage with what you came in with. What's your property or finance is your own.
I mean, there's a reason that true, Apostolic churches are anti-divorce, and only support annulment.
The skewed views on witchcraft is muddied in the past because it had links with the traditions of pre-Christian religions, ergo appraising and revering the old Gods (false idols in the eyes the Abrahamic religions) which has been twisted in worshipping the Devil...
I think calling them "skewed" is inherently biased. Witchcraft has been associated with degeneracy and foul acts for millennia. While this may not necessarily be the case for some people today; it's certainly not something I'd recommend to anyone. Neither is calling something the "old gods".
But also a lot of it stems in from genuine misunderstanding of the world around them, anything new or out of the ordinary - be it good or bad was often faced with suspicion, if not, outright hostility.
Please do enlighten me on your Holy Book and what it teaches about the world around us, or at least, what our world should be observed as. This isn't meant to sound facetious, but I'm genuinely curious.
I say this while often magic was viewed as a genuine science and often wise men/women, cunning folk, witches were allowed to provide services but then later attacked if a disaster of disease, famine or weather struck the lands. Non-magic folk like licenced practitioners, doctors, surgeons, herbalists, alchemists and later scientists weren't even safe from being labelled as a witch and later tried before death.
Many terrible things have been performed in the name of religion across the board. We disavow them all. That being said, the Enlightenment, Industrial Revolution and most great achievements in human history would not be around without Christianity, Islam or other great religions.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
i think the church has a place and does good for people who need purpose and belonging

i think that a lot of the time religion turns to fanaticism because it becomes peoples only form of purpose and belonging especially if they're alienated from strong community and people around them but outside of that its good to believe in something. i dont really care what people believe in as long as it makes them a better person and doesnt reinforce any beliefs to alienate others

all around i've read a lot of the bible aswell as old testament and i think that it has its place in the world but all i really agree with is that kindness prepetuates kindness, love thy neighbour (and he shall love you) Insha'Allah
and
matthews 7:3
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

aswell as
do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

religion used as persecution, particularly in xenophobic or racist fashion continues to amaze me since no one who does this has read the bible. i think the same applies for when peoples entirely personality becomes their political party or political views

find purpose in whatever religion you aspire to, help it reinforce your morals and good choices, but dont let it become you and never use it against other people