headcanon thread - share ur headcanon

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
most major animal species are not totally extinct, either being looked after in captivity for the entertainment of cab higher ups or contained in remote farms/islands. remaining species in the wild are beginning to adapt to presence of xenian wildlife

large lone predators and pack predators are actually thriving in areas which they were historically pushed out of, due to the combination of humans being pushed into combine cities and new xenian prey, controlling areas of territory which they contest with bullsquids/houndeye packs (eg grizzly bears and grey wolves)
It was actually canon in the early-mid HL2 Beta that the Xenian species were mostly (with the exception of headcrabs and antlions really) fairly dogshit at thriving on earth.

The Houndeyes and Bullsquids you were going to meet were meant to be malnourished and starved because they just couldn't easily catch and kill our animals.

Reactions: List

Toriwarior30055

I am Santa Claus
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
Nebulae
One thing I like to ponder about a lot is that: even if someone, who lives under the combine, gained some level of authority over others. They are still living under an Orwellian dystopia of their own. Their every move, action and thought are predetermined by an Artificial Intelligence or powers beyond themselves. And anything that deviates from that path would appear as an Error. An error they let happen. There are multiple voice lines to suggest that soldiers, officers and so on have to ask for permission for almost everything they do. Nothing is done by free will, but because a machine tells them otherwise. Which is then further reenfoced by the idea that sometimes, during certain 'situations', these external powers can grant local autonomy to Ground Leaders until the situation returns to normal.
But stuck in a cake this isn’t headcanon, this is actual canon

Flop

Secret dingus man
Nebulae
It was actually canon in the early-mid HL2 Beta that the Xenian species were mostly (with the exception of headcrabs and antlions really) fairly dogshit at thriving on earth.

The Houndeyes and Bullsquids you were going to meet were meant to be malnourished and starved because they just couldn't easily catch and kill our animals.
Makes sense, living in a weird Ailen hub dimension with its own ecosystem ≠ would survive just fine on earth

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
My favourite way of thinking about what the Combine actually is, is that they're a "body." The Combine really is just one massive bio-mechanical organism.

Think about what a single-celled organism does, it's sole purpose is to divide and make more of itself. It doesn't think, or feel or want for anything, it simply does. This is what the Combine is but scaled up to unimaginable proportions. There's no sane reason for it to exist, it simply does and it will expand and consume until its killed or there is nothing left but itself.

This would explain one of the reasons Overwatch uses medical terminology a lot, it may well be the best way for it to translate its existence into words humans can understand, describing criminals as "social infections" that need to be "amputated", etc.

In HL2 we see that the Combine is way more oppressive than anything seen on Neb. The average citizen to the Combine is what freeloading bacteria is to us, yeah if it stays low and doesn't get noticed it might survive inside us, but make one wrong move and the immune system will crush it.

There might even be very little "intelligence" behind the "leadership" of the Combine, the smaller parts like the Advisors might have individual intelligence but the whole could be dumb as fuck in the sense that it doesn't think as an individual, again like a basic cell. Hell, even the "leadership" could be so far removed from anything we'd consider to be life that its utterly unrecognisable.

I think the over-evolved bio-mechanical body also would account for why they couldn't figure out local teleportation. It's like it's just such a huge unknowable cosmic thing that it couldn't take a step back to look at the simple "dark energy equations" that Eli's team factored in. Everything they build is big because it's all they understand.

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae
My favourite way of thinking about what the Combine actually is, is that they're a "body." The Combine really is just one massive bio-mechanical organism.

Think about what a single-celled organism does, it's sole purpose is to divide and make more of itself. It doesn't think, or feel or want for anything, it simply does. This is what the Combine is but scaled up to unimaginable proportions. There's no sane reason for it to exist, it simply does and it will expand and consume until its killed or there is nothing left but itself.

This would explain one of the reasons Overwatch uses medical terminology a lot, it may well be the best way for it to translate its existence into words humans can understand, describing criminals as "social infections" that need to be "amputated", etc.

In HL2 we see that the Combine is way more oppressive than anything seen on Neb. The average citizen to the Combine is what freeloading bacteria is to us, yeah if it stays low and doesn't get noticed it might survive inside us, but make one wrong move and the immune system will crush it.

There might even be very little "intelligence" behind the "leadership" of the Combine, the smaller parts like the Advisors might have individual intelligence but the whole could be dumb as fuck in the sense that it doesn't think as an individual, again like a basic cell. Hell, even the "leadership" could be so far removed from anything we'd consider to be life that its utterly unrecognisable.

I think the over-evolved bio-mechanical body also would account for why they couldn't figure out local teleportation. It's like it's just such a huge unknowable cosmic thing that it couldn't take a step back to look at the simple "dark energy equations" that Eli's team factored in. Everything they build is big because it's all they understand.
I've seen Leadhead's video on this and it makes superb sense tbh

Nebulae
After a brutal assassination attempt and a series of relocation failures the Kebab brothers managed to carve a small empire for themselves opening their first original shop in newly occupied city 24 and later branching to many cities far and wide, The pair went on to form what in circles of restaurateurs is known and referred to as the "New Renaissance" of Cooking and cuisine despite a long and bloody path the two managed to build an empire from the ashes serving a delectable varied cuisine of headcrab kebabs...bullsquid shawarma and other eastern delights often renowned in their areas for their sense of originality, One of the brothers would go on to write a small series of short books and biographies on both their experiences in the uprising having been targeted by hardliner rebels and being curtailed by OSC's taxation in the waning days of the combine regime in the city to this day the story of the kebab house serves as a monument to human reliance and perseverance inspiring generations of like-minded entrepreneurs and restaurant owners, It's believed a few years after the war the group even obtained an incredible honour of being sampled by the famous gordon ramsay who had fallen in love with the xenian cuisine so much he opted to open his own variation with the brothers blessing of course! in his homeland in former scotland now known as the "New Scottish Republic" Where the cuisine is known to be a hit and a new favored take-away meal for lower-income families and workers alike.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I've always viewed The Combine (as we see them in HL2) as realities version of a cancer. It grows and spreads to grow and spread - there is no real 'goal' beyond this.

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

Last edited:

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

Last edited:

OneClassyBanana

kilroy was here
Nebulae
i think corporations are still likely to exist in certain parts of the world that work in cooperation with the greater combine apparatus but are semi-autonomous political entities, such as Heckler and Koch. speaking of, my headcanon for the requirement to use the standard CP weapons (USP, MP5, MP7) is that H&K put pressure on the wider European sectors to only provide their guns
TL;DR is that this is actually practically canon as per HL:A.

We see numerous products, many old but some recent, put forth by named private/consumer entities. Most pertinently that includes perishables, hazard equipment used by Infestation Control, and even small arms manufacturers working with the CEC.

The not-TL;DR addendum, below, to that statement contains a lot of boring musings over how the empty, laughable shell of personal industry might work in the midst of a utilitarian machine like the CMB. If that's your vibe, keep reading. If not, the first three sentences of this post are about all you really need to know.

Now, based on the environmental storytelling provided in the first third or so of HL:A (up to the Golden Lion levels, give or take?), I feel like it's safe to say the "consumer goods"/private industry beneath the Combine is akin to what we see in - gasp, gun me down - 1984. Where yeah, it technically exists, but it's threadbare and exists, effectively, in three primary tiers.

You've got the ones that produce directly for/under INGSOC. The equivalent here is H&K, the hazard gear manufacturers, resource management or production areas, etc. Assets that provide a direct logistical and industrial benefit to the functions of the Combine organism. There's no sense in saying they 'dominate' the industry because the very notion of a competitive industry is an inherently farcical notion under this particular occupying force, but they're the closest (relatively) to normal function on a day-to-day basis.

After that, you've got those staples of urban life that are probably recognized, albeit barely, and provided the bare necessities by the state to function, places like restaurants/cafes. In this iteration, that'd be places like hospitals and the sort, where the Combine may offer the sparsest minimum of supply to keep them in business, but it's mostly just a formality.

And then you've got the 85% that's just ... 'If you can make it work, great'. Repair shops, brothels, etc. Largely trades and smaller business.

The Combine have so thoroughly fucked the world that mass production of anything that isn't for/by them just isn't worth the trouble of regulating or supporting, so the only sustainable kinds of personal venture - which they sure as shit don't care about recognizing - are gonna be things like electronics, furniture, et cetera. And even then, sure, you can try to run that kind of enterprise for yourself, but good luck getting help from any official source outside of probably paying out the ass for material from contracted-but-still-a-little-autonomous shipping/logging/etc. companies.

It's the barest bones of consumer production. A mockery of commerce, a corpse not-really-trying-but-"trying" to disguise itself as economy. So based on that, based on the simple fact that it's all one big stageplay that barely manages to present itself as an industrial process, we can safely assume that the degree to which citizens or business owners are actually affecting/influencing the 'global market' - or even sector-wide market - on an intrinsic level is minimal to nonexistent.

Because even if you're John Bluesuit or Ricky Gunrunner or the closest thing to a 'proprietor' as can exist in this world, there is no global market to begin with.

It's a sham, albeit one that happens to not step on the otherwise crushingly apathetic toes of the Combine itself, because their view of humanity's benefit to their unending expansion is strictly binary. There's only two options that don't include the designation of 'kill it'.

1. Their use and their output is either vital/useful to the state.
2. It's simply ... there, assuming it doesn't threaten to undermine or cut out the actual 'core' regime of the Combine itself.

So would any impressions of one company being more influential - intrinsically - actually be anything more than just that? Impressions? Varying shades of what's ultimately a muddled, dysfunctional, and highly imbalanced array of sectors and consumers with which to interact?

That's the kind of question HL:A ultimately leaves unanswered, but does confirm to be a question worth asking, and a question with some ground in what we are presented with at the comparative peak of the Combine's regime. We know that there is some echo of the days of independent manufacture and some ghost of private - or "private" but ultimately connected to the state if it wants to rise above crippling logistical drought - industry.

Which may not seem like much at first glance, but it offers a fundamentally huge amount of material for further speculation. So that's cool, I think.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
based on the environmental storytelling provided in the first third or so of HL:A (up to the Golden Lion levels, give or take?),
Daily Reminder that almost an Hour worth of City Environment World-building was cut from HL:A because the play testers had the attention span of a 3 year old and just wanted to shoot the bad guys

A travesty to potential lore and shit-to-rip

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Daily Reminder that almost an Hour worth of City Environment World-building was cut from HL:A because the play testers had the attention span of a 3 year old and just wanted to shoot the bad guys

I've heard this couple of times, but what's the source on it? Not that I doubt the veracity, knowing Valve's past playtesting highlights, but it would be nice to have something to properly cite when and if I want to bring this up myself elsewhere.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
I've heard this couple of times, but what's the source on it? Not that I doubt the veracity, knowing Valve's past playtesting highlights, but it would be nice to have something to properly cite when and if I want to bring this up myself elsewhere.
Mentioned in one of the Development Commentaries for HL:A, If memory serves me right.

Flop

Secret dingus man
Nebulae

Literal IQ Drop

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
This is what Claw Scanners looked like pre-Synth.

Is it aquatic or was it's flight natural? If so how did a blob like that just float?

Low gravity thick atmosphere maybe?

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
This is what humans looked like pre-stalker
npmmbb.png