Help Waste Their Time! (Scammers)

Xergie

Quark
Nebulae
A quick introduction, my friend was over at my house and we were just hanging out. I decided to show him this awesome forum website called warez-bb.org where you can find links to download pretty much everything. As I was demonstrating a download (to show him how fast most of the links are), a peculiar window popped up...

(taken from my phone, didn't screenshot it as I didn't think I was going to upload it here, but hey..)

eBxrYiO.jpg

Its not clear to read, however it stated that my computer has the ZEUS virus (OH NO!) and that if I exit this page, my HARDRIVE WILL BE DELETED!?!?!? :OOOOOOOOOOOOO

We laughed it off, until my friend suggested we do something. Something that will be a hobby of mine for a very long time.

We dialed the number from a private number (yes, they still picked up). Let me tell you now, the conversation was pure bliss, until at the end we did tell them we knew what they were doing and sort of ended it on a rough note.

It's not rocket science, however, to know that many people worldwide do fall for scams such as this and if you call them to have a bit of fun, they'll also have their time wasted. A win-win (for us at least). So I urge you, to start with this number, and perhaps you may make a hobby out of this too!

P.S. The number is situated in "London" but it's just a redirection. If you live in England, it will charge you the normal costs, or if you have minutes on your phone, it will use those instead. 02038088361. HAVE FUN!

bubblegum

you should see me in a crown
Nebulae
The number is situated in "London" but it's just a redirection. If you live in England, it will charge you the normal costs, or if you have minutes on your phone, it will use those instead.

That's genius.

bubblegum

you should see me in a crown
Nebulae
Haha! They're really just sitting in a call centre in India for 8 hours a day, attempting to scam anyone they can, with a success rate of about 3 to 4 in 10 people, making (if they're lucky) about $200 maximum per victim.

Those guys probably don't have air conditioning or proper plumbing. Maybe they need it 200 bucks.

Reactions: List

Xergie

Quark
Nebulae
Hello everyone! Since @RetroPirate1 requested, I will try to write the entire conversation (as much as I can remember) right here.
Here goes! (It's a bit lengthy)

Scammer: Hello sir, this is microsoft support team how may I help you today?

Me: Hello, yes, I was browsing a certain web page and I must have clicked the wrong button, a blue screen has popped up telling me that I have some sort of virus, and there was this number on the screen which I was instructed to call.

Scammer: Ok, sir. When did this happen?

Me: Literally, just about 3 minutes ago, I've been trying to close the web page but it has made it explicitly clear, that my hard drive will be deleted. I really don't want that to happen so can you h- (I was cut mid sentence)

Scammer: And what does the web page say currently?

Me: It says, Hot singles near you.

Scammer: Ok, what windows are you using, is it xp, vista or 7?

Me: I'm not too sure, I don't spend too much time on my computer.

Scammer: What does your desktop look like?

Me: It's dark blue and has rectangles everywhere.

Scammer: Can you see an icon on the bottom left of your screen?

Me: Yes, it's says start.

Scammer: Ok, click that and go to Computer, right click on a blank portion of the screen and press properties.

Me: Oh, I think I have found out what windows it is, I have the CD right here.

Scammer: So is it a vista then?

Me: It says windows 98...

Scammer: Windows 98?... Ok. sir. Do you see your keyboard?

Me: Yes, I do!

Scammer: On the bottom left corner of your screen, is there a control button, C T R L?

Me: Yes, there is.

Scammer: And right beside it is the windows icon?

Me: Yes, I see the flag!

Scammer: Ok sir, please go ahead and hold that key and press, without letting go, the r button. R for Roger.

Me: Unfortunately, the R key is not on my keyboard, it's a very old keyboard and a few of the keys are missing.

Scammer: Ok sir, I'm gonna go ahead and ask you to hold the windows key, the one with the flag, and press R.

Me: I'm afraid I can't do that, the R key is not on my keyboard, it broke a few years ago.

Scammer: I'm sorry sir I don't understand, please hold the windows key and press the R button, next to E and T.

Me: My R key... Is.... Broken.... It IS NOT ON MY KEYBOARD.

Scammer: Ok I'm going to transfer you to my colleague, please hold sir.

Scammer 2 : Hello sir, this is microsoft tech support, how may I help you?

(I explain the problem to him)

Scammer 2 : Ok, what operating system are you using?

(Now time to switch it up)

Me: A macintosh.

Scammer 2: A mountain Lion?

Me: I'm not sure, it's not the newest computer.

Scammer 2: Ok, is it a desktop or a laptop?

Me: It's a macintosh... desktop I think. It's definitely not a laptop.

Scammer 2: Ok, do you know the exact model of your computer?

(Trying to hold in my laughter as best I could)

Me: A macintosh 128k...

128k.jpg

Scammer 2: Ok, I am gonna go ahead and ask you to press the search button and press T for terry, E for echo, R for roger, M for mango, I for Ignos, N for november, A for apple, L for Lenny.

Me: I don't see a search button.

Scammer 2: It is on the top of your screen, it looks like a magnifying glass

Me: Urmm... not here.

Scammer 2: Are you sure? Is your system up to date?

Me: I don't think so.

Scammer 2: Which version of the mountain lion are you using?

Me: I'm not too sure?

Scammer 2: When did you last update it?

Me: My grandfather updated it I think, about 15 years ago or something. I'd ask him but he's kind of dead.

Scammer 2: I'm sorry? Exactly what system are you using?

Me: The Macintosh 128K- (try not to laugh with the thought of the mac 128k in my head) I'm sorry, how many people fall for this shit?

Scammer 2: I'm sorry (tries to ignore the question), What browser does it use?

Me: The Chromosome.

Scammer 2: Google Chrome?

Me: Yes, google chromosome, I downloaded it myself.

Scammer 2: Ok sir, can you go ahead and open it up?

Me: Put the chromosome in the bag

Scammer 2: Excuse me sir? I did not understand

Me: Jesus christ, kill yourself. (I got bored and hung up)

It wasn't too funny, however it was my first time so I was quite excited. I quite a few youtube videos where people use Virtual Machines to mess with these people. Might give that a go. Hope you all enjoyed!