Serious High FPS Setup

Votra

Retired
Nebulae
Which means your advice of getting an over expensive Intel i7 is bad and thus you'd be better off getting more for your money because GMod isn't multi-core anyway.

Intel has significantly faster single-core performance than AMD. That is why you go Intel.

If you run a benchmark while playing Garry's Mod, multiple cores will see an increase in usage. I'd define that as multi-core. But that's a mute point, because whether you buy AMD or Intel processors you will surely have more than one core.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Intel has significantly faster single-core performance than AMD. That is why you go Intel.

Higher clocks with overheating issues*
Also the IPC difference is 3% performance difference and nobody is buying Intel for 3% performance in gaming.

Reactions: List
D

Deleted member 332

Was gonna get an I5 8400 until I heard about Intels habit of switching support every year (with how kaby Lake users got fucked by coffee lake's panic release to rival Ryzen 2) and AMD swearing Zen support until 2020 at least. Didn't want to get something I'd be unable to upgrade past the i7 8700k.

This is my list nonetheless so far (it's still mini itx for portability when I move to Uni)-

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xnBz6s

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI WF OC (From older build, waiting for 11 series release and fucking cryptocunts to stop fucking the market)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000Mhz (fucking ridiculous price fixing on RAM is ridiculous)

M-Board: Asus Strix X470 ITX

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 250gb, WD Blue 1TB

Cooling: Noctua nf-a12x25, Stock AMD Heatsink

PSU: Seasonic 650w 80+ Gold Fully Modular ATX

Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13 (case not on pc part picker, listed as a case of the same price)

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Was gonna get an I5 8400 until I heard about Intels habit of switching support every year (with how kaby Lake users got fucked by coffee lake's panic release to rival Ryzen 2) and AMD swearing Zen support until 2020 at least. Didn't want to get something I'd be unable to upgrade past the i7 8700k.

This is my list nonetheless so far (it's still mini itx for portability when I move to Uni)-

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI WF OC (From older build, waiting for 11 series release and fucking cryptocunts to stop fucking the market)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000Mhz (fucking ridiculous price fixing on RAM is ridiculous)

Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13 (case not on pc part picker, listed as a case of the same price)

Looks fine to me, if you can find them (and afford it) you may want to consider 3200Mhz memory as Ryzen utilises faster memory very well but 3000Mhz should be fine otherwise.

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae

If you're going mini itx choose your case very carefully, the case dimensions can fuck up matx builds and cheap matx cases can have awful heating issues, I'd say go for a noctua low profile cooler instead of a stock amd heatsink with a noctua fan ziptied to it or similar because it'll be more efficient - low profile is designed specifically for matx. Also make sure to get some extra fans (if the case has any extra slots) to increase airflow around the system.
If you're going mini itx choose your case very carefully, the case dimensions can fuck up matx builds and cheap matx cases can have awful heating issues, I'd say go for a noctua low profile cooler instead of a stock amd heatsink with a noctua fan ziptied to it or similar because it'll be more efficient - low profile is designed specifically for matx. Also make sure to get some extra fans (if the case has any extra slots) to increase airflow around the system.

Just as a point of reference, I don't know what my PC is made of since a friend picked out all the parts for me and I just bought them and put it together but I can run GTA V at a constant 60 FPS at near max settings fine but get below 20 when playing Garry's Mod. Something to consider lads
understanding pc components is the easy part lmao

DoubleD

String
B A N N E D
Nebulae
GMod is quite CPU intensive. I used to have an i5 and got minimum of 15 FPS. I upgraded to an i7 4790k and now I have an average of 50 fps.

D

Deleted member 332

understanding pc components is the easy part lmao

Read my mind, was gonna pick up the exact heatsink you're on about until recently. From looking up the temps, the Noctua (the only noctua that will fit) doesn't do any better than the stock AMD Wraith cooler. I'm not gonna be overclocking anyhow.

And yeah, this case has room for one 120/140mm fan on the front and that's it lmao. Figured I'd get the latest and best noctua for it. it's small enough to fit in a backpack.

For the case fan I was stuck between their latest tech fan and an older one that's rated as 'industrial' because it's a 140mm fan that spins to 3000 rpm.

Jet engine for real