Serious High FPS Setup

D

Deleted member 332

Right lads, I've scoured all over Google for 'good fps in GMod' but none of them account for possibly the most demanding server in the game, that being this one. I have no idea if 60 frames is an attainable goal here, so I've got a couple of questions.

If you do get 60 FPS then what are your specs?

What would you recommend specs-wise for this? Even down to SSDs and such?

Due to them being possibly the most informed in this regard, I'm gonna tag @alex to this. Do you get sixty or is this unattainable?

Cheers

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
no one gets 60 fps iirc

i have a 1070 and i doubt i'd get 60 fps

it doesnt matter how good your pc is, gmod itself can barely handle the server

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
evil uses this and so do i

r_queued_decals 1
r_queued_post_processing 1
r_queued_ropes 1

r_threaded_client_shadow_manager 1
r_threaded_particles 1
r_threaded_renderables 1

r_fastzreject -1

cl_threaded_bone_setup 1
cl_threaded_client_leaf_system 1

snd_mix_async 1
snd_async_fullyasync 1

in_usekeyboardsampletime 0

Reactions: List

Khiel

Molecule
Nebulae
Let us know when we're on Helix.
not really the framework fucking me over personally

stupid amounts of props + playercount that this game is not designed for seems to be more of an issue for me

tho im running a ryzen 1600, and that needs good multicore, yet gmod shits itself when u try to use more than 2 cores

D

Deleted member 332

not really the framework fucking me over personally

stupid amounts of props + playercount that this game is not designed for seems to be more of an issue for me

tho im running a ryzen 1600, and that needs good multicore, yet gmod shits itself when u try to use more than 2 cores

Been thinking about the Ryzen 2600x, what's your FPS count btw?

Votra

Retired
Nebulae
To keep it simple we'll use one keyword: Processor.

Your CPU is the most important spec when looking for FPS "gains" on Garry's Mod. Ideally you'll want an Intel i7, 4 core / 8 thread, at a base clock of at least 4.0 Ghz. Overclocking the frequency will help, in theory so will using this autoexec I made some time ago.

Installing GMod on an SSD will see an increase in loading times. Faster memory and GPU won't do much for you whatsoever after you cross a certain point.

High player and add-on counts will always keep our frames low. As will the server. Such is the beast of the game and a small gaming community. High performance is seen on servers with low player counts running for a reason.

I have stayed away from AMD after being fed up with an 8350 for awhile. Yes, I know Ryzen is new but its still a high-core / high-thread setup.

What's your budget I'll make you a PCPartPicker list for as a guide?

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Ideally you'll want an Intel i7, 4 core / 8 thread, at a base clock of at least 4.0 Ghz

Or you could make the right choice and get way more value for your money and go AMD. 2700X easily hits 4.0Ghz at 8c 16t.

Votra

Retired
Nebulae
Or you could make the right choice and get way more value for your money and go AMD. 2700X easily hits 4.0Ghz at 8c 16t.

All those cores and threads aren't utilized. I overclocked my old 8350, and yes I know the FX series isn't Ryzen, but at 4.8 Ghz I was still lacking in games that utilized four or less cores - such as Garry's Mod & ArmA 2 and 3.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
All those cores and threads aren't utilized. I overclocked my old 8350, and yes I know the FX series isn't Ryzen, but at 4.8 Ghz I was still lacking in games that utilized four or less cores - such as Garry's Mod & ArmA 2 and 3.

Not sure even you know what you're saying at this point.

Stalker

the very best rp man on planet earth
Nebulae
I still regret buying my 7600k before Ryzen 1 was announced :(

Votra

Retired
Nebulae
Not sure even you know what you're saying at this point.

I know perfectly well what I'm saying. Garry's Mod doesn't heavily utilize more than 2 or 3 cores at a time, four at most. AMD processors are usually 8 cores standard, where-as Intel is 4 cores. Unless you can specifically target cores for over-clocking on Ryzen unlocked processors and have the hardware to do that (which in that case, why not just go Intel? You'd clearly have the budget).

Deadpool

A turtle made it to the water
Nebulae
tbh amd has always been best at bang for your buck, got a rx 480 400 bucks cheaper than a 1060 :ok:

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I know perfectly well what I'm saying. Garry's Mod doesn't heavily utilize more than 2 or 3 cores at a time, four at most. AMD processors are usually 8 cores standard, where-as Intel is 4 cores.

Which means your advice of getting an over expensive Intel i7 is bad and thus you'd be better off getting more for your money because GMod isn't multi-core anyway.

Stalker

the very best rp man on planet earth
Nebulae
where-as Intel is 4 cores.
Intels new mid range cpu's are 6 cores or more soooo....

Also, gmod isn't going to see any major performance increase from your intel cpu because it's gmod and clockwork could tank nasas space program computer

Ryzen 2000's are great for pretty much everything while intel holds onto "hurr durr our cores are 10% better by themselves that's why we give you 1/4 the amount"

Deleted member 4609

Doomboy / Femguy
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Just as a point of reference, I don't know what my PC is made of since a friend picked out all the parts for me and I just bought them and put it together but I can run GTA V at a constant 60 FPS at near max settings fine but get below 20 when playing Garry's Mod. Something to consider lads

Deadpool

A turtle made it to the water
Nebulae
Just as a point of reference, I don't know what my PC is made of since a friend picked out all the parts for me and I just bought them and put it together but I can run GTA V at a constant 60 FPS at near max settings fine but get below 20 when playing Garry's Mod. Something to consider lads
this is a bad comparison with a 2004 mod on multiplayer with things now that it wasnt supported for and probably not supposed to do like 80 players on a server with a singleplayer modern game you're able to get 60 fps on and that is obviously more optimized