hl2rp² feedback thread 2.0²

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
i cannot, and will never, understand why this is the case.

there is so much development to be gained from losing. so much. so fucking much.

it's to the point now where if somebody refuses to lose on an ooc level i pretty much just automatically assume they aren't here for the RP, they're just here to fucking win and they dont give a fuck about their char's own dev

it's infuriating

fuck you if you don't like losing

i dont like losing if the end result is just "you die, the end"

if something actually comes from losing, i always take the L

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
the idea that there's stakes a player would OOCly be invested in is strictly a Gmod thing as far as im aware.
you can check DiscordRPs, ForumRPs, WoW's roleplay scene, and most anywhere else, and they usually come with the clause that you can opt out of whatever outcome could arrive
theres 7 years of expectation for players here. a very different type of player does mmorpg's. if i didnt want stakes i'd play something else

i still think a roll system would suit the server better, but i dont agree with u abt this argument

Reactions: List

Inaudible™

Karl-Police Approved
Nebulae

I've always been of the opinion that if you play your character well, enjoy rp and actually interact with people, your death will have an impact.
Chances are you will die during a rp scenario anyway. (If it's s2k R.I.P) Make the most of it and in that moment, choose to give other players some cool rp rather than choosing to just /me doesn't die because actually the wound wasn't /that bad/ and the doctor with no experience suddenly saved you from your legs being blown off.

Kinda treat killing my characters as giving to others, rather than taking away from myself.

Nebulae

Judging by the copious amounts of slop you've posted on this thread about how you 'refuse to RP' if you don't agree with the scenario, I certainly hope your feedback on the state of the server isn't being taken at all seriously by management- it's only bound to make for a worse experience for the majority who actually enjoy weight to their actions.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Judging by the copious amounts of slop you've posted on this thread about how you 'refuse to RP' if you don't agree with the scenario, I certainly hope your feedback on the state of the server isn't being taken at all seriously by management- it's only bound to make for a worse experience for the majority who actually enjoy weight to their actions.

would you like to talk it out in a vc

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
@MaXenzie when a situation involving several people doesn't play out exactly how he imagined it in his head

cat

Blitz0012

Proton
Nebulae
Why isn't small couple dude stuff regularly done for Combine? Like how one or two rebels can just call staff or have one randomly show up. Any GMs struggling with making stuff for Combine? I remember back on Agora they had a lot to do when their tasks were pretty well defined but nowadays things seem to have a lot less guidance.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Its important to remember that in most other contexts, the world you are RPing in is not fluid or dynamic - its structured, moving along as the DM/small group of players work within it.

In an RP setting like Neb, where there's tens of people all roleplaying in a living 3D sspace, lacking any sort of permanant consequence (in some variations anyway) leads to a weird sort of stagnation where neither side can inflict change. Its a lot different in THIS sort of setting, mind you, but in stuff like CityRP it really is a neccesity.

Provingmedusa

Scourge of Antlions
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
if i make an event where cops and rebels have to work together to fight a more prevalent evil, will those cops be executed the moment the event is over?
VERY late to this, but this has been done to a pretty good standard multiple times on this iteration. My most recent memory being in Ineu Apoc where 2 OTA went on a 'contract' with a few rebels to secure a heap of supplies for the rest of the garrison which they desperately needed.

It's not impossible, but it's hard to reliably get Combine characters into an event with rebels without some sort of foundation as to how and why.

Nebulae
Its important to remember that in most other contexts, the world you are RPing in is not fluid or dynamic - its structured, moving along as the DM/small group of players work within it.

In an RP setting like Neb, where there's tens of people all roleplaying in a living 3D sspace, lacking any sort of permanant consequence (in some variations anyway) leads to a weird sort of stagnation where neither side can inflict change. Its a lot different in THIS sort of setting, mind you, but in stuff like CityRP it really is a neccesity.
ye, city rp i remember
gave u goals to outgrow even as a simpleton citizen

i remember this being quite good keeping entertained the simple rp'er that just plays as a normal default darrel human, rather than a someone who is in on how to bend reality using bricks only, and has his backround motives.

majority of players are in the default darrel category in the beginning, and that is the entire playerbase p much, until something changes in their lives. (whatever sides n goals they choose)
so many ppl just focused on doing many things that somehow gave them permanent progress, maybe a social credit status for privileges, or apartments,
the little things were quite big tbh

this to me is much greater aspect of gameplay than pvp ill be frank sinatra
thats why city rp was special

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Also, don't rag on @MaXenzie - he really isn't wrong. Gmod's way of doing things really ISN'T normal for the wider RP scene, whether text based or those in other games.

Conflict that ends in death isn't the norm because the game systems don't often support it and the setting isn't as hostile/dangerous as HL2's is.

Nebulae
really ISN'T normal for the wider RP scene
and the setting isn't as hostile/dangerous as HL2's is.

I agree. That's what makes HL2RP so special and why it has survived for so many years- nothing grows stale because characters come and go so you have new stories constantly beginning. Unfortunately Nebulous took the route of giving people a blanket safety to get away with practically everything so now it's turned into a SMP and as a result mindsets birth like the above. Shame!

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I agree. That's what makes HL2RP so special and why it has survived for so many years- nothing grows stale because characters come and go so you have new stories constantly beginning. Unfortunately Nebulous took the route of giving people a blanket safety to get away with practically everything so now it's turned into a SMP and as a result mindsets birth like the above. Shame!
7E0AEBF21C93406FA1245A778E921F6024B329D6

Maytree

Black Hole
Nebulae
I thought we went over with the toxicity crap in Ark’s abuse report? Why are you trashing eachother like lunatics?

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
my feedback is I will miss @Ron very much and I appreciate the work he did, I hope he comes back

rob

Nebulae
I thought we went over with the toxicity crap in Ark’s abuse report? Why are you trashing eachother like lunatics?
there were a MILLION things wrong with that thread and I WISH I could speak about them but- I'd rather not

my feedback is I will miss @Ron very much and I appreciate the work he did, I hope he comes back
i will miss him too

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
there were a MILLION things wrong with that thread and I WISH I could speak about them but- I'd rather not
as much as something like it needed to happen, I can't help but admit how terrible of a birthday present that thread must have been

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
as much as something like it needed to happen, I can't help but admit how terrible of a birthday present that thread must have been

you gotta admit though it was funny as fuck for people to hit him with "Happy Birthday!" messages while the report was ongoing, WHILE THEY DOGPILING HIM IN THE THREAD