Serious HL2RP∞ Screenshot Thread

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I always wondered what caused this sort of thing to dissipate and introduce an over-reliance on events for storytelling, and if there is even a way to mitigate/fix it.

The main reason? Rebels realized that if they waited for events they had a higher chance of really cool and impactful things happening to their characters with a lower chance of death that wasn't meaningful. That's always going to be more desirable than dying to someone S2King you or whatever. They also got the majority of the best events made specifically for them.

So then people realized they could just not play until they got into an event or whatever and the cycle became "make events to get people back".

Reactions: List

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
man got hit so hard he T-posed

KAa5GoB.png
nerve gas

Pyromancer

doNT YOU KNOW how HARD DEVVING IS????
Nebulae
I always wondered what caused this sort of thing to dissipate and introduce an over-reliance on events for storytelling, and if there is even a way to mitigate/fix it.
People became less creative and the medium of fuck all happening for months making even the most minute of drama or conflict really fucking cool got extremely grating after a few years of play. It wasn't the server that made the experiences at the time, it was people.

Char, Powley, Harry etc all got the ball rolling on things and led the limelight and therefore the narrative into something meaningful, even if "nothing really happened". It felt like certain characters had an aura around them and that you were watching a show or something sometimes, characters built up over literal months/years compared to the otherworldly zane and 'out there characters/character experiments' a lot of us tried when we moved over to the fresh iteration.

While it was much more interesting at the time than starting out plain-jane from square one again, it feels like something was lost about the mundane of blank-slate characters you made on day one of a random map change event back in 2017 becoming extraordinary through time and trauma rather than a character archetype that you had planned in your head in advance to be interesting and stand out.
The main reason? Rebels realized that if they waited for events they had a higher chance of really cool and impactful things happening to their characters with a lower chance of death that wasn't meaningful. That's always going to be more desirable than dying to someone S2King you or whatever. They also got the majority of the best events made specifically for them.

So then people realized they could just not play until they got into an event or whatever and the cycle became "make events to get people back".
This too. Helix was a grind without the thought of a traditional BMD system and even the thought of losing all your progress and grinding to some random thoughtless interpersonal drama or city operation was unbearable to most people, me included.

I know I'd rather lose my characters to something with love and attention put into it than some wrong-place-wrong-time sweep or shitty meaningless drama, and a lot of others did too. People started acting strictly in-pocket to avoid this and as such fuck-all happened. Zero conflict, zero drama. Events were the only interesting development you could hope to be in outside of extremely rare situations.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
People became less creative and the medium of fuck all happening for months making even the most minute of drama or conflict really fucking cool got extremely grating after a few years of play. It wasn't the server that made the experiences at the time, it was people.

Char, Powley, Harry etc all got the ball rolling on things and led the limelight and therefore the narrative into something meaningful, even if "nothing really happened". It felt like certain characters had an aura around them and that you were watching a show or something sometimes, characters built up over literal months/years compared to the otherworldly zane and 'out there characters/character experiments' a lot of us tried when we moved over to the fresh iteration.

While it was much more interesting at the time than starting out plain-jane from square one again, it feels like something was lost about the mundane of blank-slate characters you made on day one of a random map change event back in 2017 becoming extraordinary through time and trauma rather than a character archetype that you had planned in your head in advance to be interesting and stand out.

This too. Helix was a grind without the thought of a traditional BMD system and even the thought of losing all your progress and grinding to some random thoughtless interpersonal drama or city operation was unbearable to most people, me included.

I know I'd rather lose my characters to something with love and attention put into it than some wrong-place-wrong-time sweep or shitty meaningless drama, and a lot of others did too. People started acting strictly in-pocket to avoid this and as such fuck-all happened. Zero conflict, zero drama. Events were the only interesting development you could hope to be in outside of extremely rare situations.

It also didn't help that the Nebulous.cloud rumor mill kicked in whenever anything even mildly negative happened, either.

When people had no other option than to engage, they engaged. When they realized if they just held out and didn't play that they'd force events to get them back, that was the start of a downward spiral. The bar was set far too high with no reasonable way of keeping the momentum going and eventually it genuinely did just feel like people forgot how to make roleplay themselves, for the most.

But honestly my biggest frustration was how much based on player feedback regarding Helix was just forgotten the second it became inconvenient for the people who'd wanted those things removed or changed to begin with.

For example, putting aside the period of time the Railway was hated for valid reasons a lot of the loudest detractors would have said absolutely nothing if they'd been the ones controlling the flow of weapons, ala CW, despite the fact monopolies had always been self-serving shit and hated in times gone.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Wasn't whatever that happened here like 4 years ago

Are you traumatized by a roleplay appeal
still irritated
key word there

no pk appeal manager who's implicitly involved and at an advantage with a situation's outcome should be in charge of deciding what's final, that's basic sense 101

(see that one PK appeal where the person who died complained the person they tried to PK managed to kill them instead even when they were sent to talk, not start a firefight).
you can tag me you know, this sort of thing is beneath you

he was to be placed under arrest, we knew he would never submit to it given his greviences with pretty much everyone but the junkie roleplayer crowd and his past threats against people in his little needle store so we did pretty much what people did back then, you included, we went and shot first

my problem was the information that lead to the whole thing was 100% bullshit, was known as bullshit by the appeal manager because they helped spread it for their own antics, and it was the sole thing for why everything happened to begin with. idgaf about losing the fight with someone's tanky protection stat suit, we nailed him to 5% health

if he had been finished off by ruble post-fight anyway he would've had a guaranteed reversal of everything for being a victim of someone's fake molestation sob story, instead he got immunity from literally everything, including murdering some random dude who looked like us after the incident, despite the rule about NLRs put in by nicrobe

baker wanted him dead for some dodgy shit that was unrelated to it all but even he got blocked from doing anything

so yeah, I'm irritated, because one of the server's most deranged degenerates who gave people PTSD got a golden ticket to immunity from 2 years worth of crap, one person got kicked out of staff but kept their quirky insane lesbian character and then the appeal manager then went on to build a fuckshack on the skybox that people went to burn down and none of it mattered

on the plus side I made a better character after, had a few good years and he's best remembered for a discord emote of him forcing k4e to erp with him

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
you can tag me you know, this sort of thing is beneath you

I actually didn't remember who was involved or I would have tagged tbh.

But tbh if you'd have gone ahead and done as Harry said you'd have given everyone else a chance to off him under better circumstances, shady or no. Choosing to go and try to kill him against orders and appealing on the grounds that the info being false meant the choice to ignore what you were told didn't matter just looked like standard CW desperation to get out of the consequences.

On top of that you had people "suddenly" bringing to light reasons why they should still be able to kill him in the appeal itself which was equally as stupid because it looked like people were just trying to preemptively circumvent the decision and gave cause for it to be shut down.

I was no fan of them as a person either but even now I don't think there's another PK manager who wouldn't have come to more-or-less the same conclusion, give or take.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
But tbh if you'd have gone ahead and done as Harry said you'd have given everyone else a chance to off him under better circumstances, shady or no.
At the time I was just under the impression we'd be shooting it out anyway, he had a SPAS-12 and who knows what, we were two guys with standard reinforced blacksuits and AK's. If we directly went to talk he'd refute us then it'd likely go violent and without any backup

if it happened during the day he'd just flag off and it would be a cat-and-mouse thing until someone pinned him down

end of the day the only real mistake I made in that situation besides laughing off the sob story was not bringing more people after his shack exploded, when we started firing he was in an anim state and shrugged off most of the initial shots

I was no fan of them as a person either but even now I don't think there's another PK manager who wouldn't have come to more-or-less the same conclusion, give or take.
regardless of whether that's true or not, when the verdict comes from someone who directly propagated the initial story then benefited from him being on the run for months while they sheltered the person who cried rape, it's hard not to shake the idea that it was a foregone conclusion by then

especially since some folks, like baker, wanted him gone for other reasons and to have that cast aside was a bit shite - fair go to disallow it if it involved what happened with me but guy never deserved a blank check

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
key word there

no pk appeal manager who's implicitly involved and at an advantage with a situation's outcome should be in charge of deciding what's final, that's basic sense 101

Oh yeah no I 100% agree I've stepped down from judging appeals where I was very minimally involved even if it was passively, let alone actively

I'm just going by your vibe dude, when someone brings up something like this then rants about it it's cause they want to talk about it, you sound like you need to get it out of your chest you get me?

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
yeah it was crazy that the guy was given blanket immunity

Seemed like the appeal handlers were completely out of touch with who the character was - anyone who was remotely involved in rebelRP knew he was bad news and that it was only a matter of time lol

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
rtx remix in gmod once more, now with subsurface scattering, the future is now:

image.png

image.png

de_inferno0001.jpg

image.png

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
does it run in multiplayer?
does it run in multiplayer?
people smarter than me can run it in multiplayer but i’m too spazzy to make it work, but those smart people are also developing a tool to auto-install rtx-remix and the other files you need to make it work, so when that’s done it should be peachy

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
people smarter than me can run it in multiplayer but i’m too spazzy to make it work, but those smart people are also developing a tool to auto-install rtx-remix and the other files you need to make it work, so when that’s done it should be peachy

reinstalling gmod just to see how shiny can a loyalist ration package get with raytracing