How do I be better at rp? Grrrrr

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae
roleplay is a story at its core. it might not always be an exciting story with a satisfying conclusion and desirable plot threads, but it is still a story. keep that in mind when you create your characters. don't do self-inserts. keep them interesting, or realistic and believable at the very least.

Saggy

Electron
Nebulae
The thing about /me length is not that it has to be long or short to be good, it just has to be filled with things that aren't superfluous. "/me sits" is no better or worse than "/me walks over to the bench and sits down.", give your /me's character and depth. "/me saunters over to the bench and collapses down to sit." gives a more interesting description of your character's movements and tells people things about your character in general and their current situation. why collapse? Maybe they're tired, maybe they rush maybe they're laid back and just fall without a care. This is also kind of links in with my second point which is imply instead of state, show don't tell. If your character is feeling or acts in a certain way, don't bluntly shove it in everyone's face all the time - include in your /me's certain little descriptor's which say what's going on. Develop mannerisms and habits for you character, it gives them some depth and uniqueness that all humans have but isn't overly bold and frustrating special snowflake shit. If you develop mannerisms dependent on mood it allows people who know the charcter well to read their mood without having to say "I'm feeling sad." or being overly blunt and obvious with "/me looks upset." or something.

Most of communication in real life comes down to body language and it can be difficult to incorperate into roleplay without properly thinking it through, but if you do it it can add a world of character and depth to your roleplay.

In real life I don't need my friends to tell me when they're upset or angry, I know how they act and know how to act in response.

Reactions: List

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
What really helped me was to surround myself with people who already knew how to provide interesting roleplay and to learn from them along the way, taking inspiration and forming my own way of roleplaying with help from theirs.

Also helps to expand your vocabulary; try to look up alternate words and meanings for things you already type and to switch things up every once in a while.

Zanderk

String
Nebulae
I'd say just take time with your roleplay it's not a rush, just think for a minute how you want to react to a situation and you can expand what you can do because you tkae time. That's the beauty of roleplaying games, they put you into a universe in which you can make whatever choices you want. So give yourself time to think what you want to do. Another tip I have is to think of what would you do, be rational in a situation. Like I stated earlier many roleplay games but you into fake worlds however asking yourself in a real world scenario what would happen is a great way of having a better outcome. However if you're bored I recommend creating a character so you can explore other outcomes like Fallout.

Reactions: List

Provingmedusa

Scourge of Antlions
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Easy way to do it: Just RP it.

Just joking. If you would want to improve at your RP, most of it has to come from you, but some of it from other players. You can't improve by RPing with yourself, if you are given a situation with others, you can improve on your RP just by seeing how you deal with it and how the others do too. You can learn by playing or from others.