How to lua? The perfect guide?

TheRobsterDJ

Nucleus
Nebulae
Hello, I am not sure if a thread has or has not been posted about this particular topic. I wish to learn more about LUA. To be precise, I want to know where I could find the PERFECT guide!

I prefer auditory tutorials.

Last edited:
Reactions: List

holiday adi

黑色土人
Nebulae
Do you know any other language? Its always easier to learn a new language when he has some similarities with the first one.

surra

Molecule
Nebulae
Garry's mod wiki, we can learn me and you bud.

Expax

Nucleus
Nebulae
'computerholic'
giphy.gif

Hayden

Quark
Nebulae
Lua, especially with Gmod, can be a difficult language to learn considering it's already been built; you'll have to learn the syntax and Variables that Gmod uses. If you're gonna be coding stuff like DarkRP, it's easy as fuck. But if you're gonna be trying to make a new item or even a plugin for Clockwork, it's gonna be hard as metaphorical steel balls.

If you wanna learn Lua just to fuck around and code something, let me direct you to Java programming using Eclipse. You're free to send me a PM and I'll show you how to set it all up and teach you the basics and everything, if you're really adamant on learning Lua, tell me what you wanna try to code and I'll see what I can do.

TheDeadlyHaze

Monkey
Nebulae
Don't start with Lua, honestly.

Most people who try to start with Lua always have goals that are way too high and end up getting discouraged. Try something a bit more simple like Visual Basic, Python, JavaScript, etc.. Lua isn't a good starting language, there's some people that have gotten past the reasons why it is so hard as a starter, but it's really not ever the case.

Hayden

Quark
Nebulae
Don't start with Lua, honestly.

Most people who try to start with Lua always have goals that are way too high and end up getting discouraged. Try something a bit more simple like Visual Basic, Python, JavaScript, etc.. Lua isn't a good starting language, there's some people that have gotten past the reasons why it is so hard as a starter, but it's really not ever the case.
I learned that the hard way, when I had a professionalish Lua coder try to teach me how to code Lua as my first language and I was stumped at trying to figure out what a Variable was. Now I can code a Console based Java game from scratch and have a qual in coding. Wooooo.