I Don't Like City 24.

Kawa

Special K
Nebulae
Yes, you've read the title correctly, I'm not a big fan of the City 24 map. I know it had a whole year and a half spent on it, but while it looks beautiful, it honestly doesn't do it for me. I feel like the map had more time spent on its looks than how nice it is role play wise, because for one, it's way too big, that even 100 players feels like a ghost town, and second-of-all, it doesn't feel like Half-Life 2 RP, which is basically the one key to making a HL2RP map.

There really wasn't a reason to make it as large as it is, it didn't really accomplish anything, all it did was make the map that much laggier. And it looks too fancy to fit the HL2RP style, I mean, at least add some run-down, worn-out buildings not being used, maybe in the background, showing a deserted city beyond City 24, which would make it feel more like a City. The rebel area doesn't look that great either, there's no outlands or anything, just the sewers and a small area with a pub, which is the same thing that I didn't like about the Rebel area in I17, but at least the sewer system was a bit more expansive.

There's a lot of technical bugs that have already been spotted too, and I know it's quite a new map, but it makes sense considering how large the map is, with the skybox and lighting problems too. Sometimes the skybox will flicker, same with the lighting, although I do know that the lighting did the same while in I17, not sure of anything before that.

Well, there's just a few things I feel like City 24 could improve on, bye

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Yes, you've read the title correctly, I'm not a big fan of the City 24 map. I know it had a whole year and a half spent on it, but while it looks beautiful, it honestly doesn't do it for me. I feel like the map had more time spent on its looks than how nice it is role play wise, because for one, it's way too big, that even 100 players feels like a ghost town, and second-of-all, it doesn't feel like Half-Life 2 RP, which is basically the one key to making a HL2RP map.

There really wasn't a reason to make it as large as it is, it didn't really accomplish anything, all it did was make the map that much laggier. And it looks too fancy to fit the HL2RP style, I mean, at least add some run-down, worn-out buildings not being used, maybe in the background, showing a deserted city beyond City 24, which would make it feel more like a City. The rebel area doesn't look that great either, there's no outlands or anything, just the sewers and a small area with a pub, which is the same thing that I didn't like about the Rebel area in I17, but at least the sewer system was a bit more expansive.

There's a lot of technical bugs that have already been spotted too, and I know it's quite a new map, but it makes sense considering how large the map is, with the skybox and lighting problems too. Sometimes the skybox will flicker, same with the lighting, although I do know that the lighting did the same while in I17, not sure of anything before that.

Well, there's just a few things I feel like City 24 could improve on, bye
Well, there's just a few things I feel like this thread could improve on, bye

venutianPunk

Leftist Cuck
Nebulae
And it looks too fancy to fit the HL2RP style, I mean, at least add some run-down, worn-out buildings not being used, maybe in the background, showing a deserted city beyond City 24, which would make it feel more like a City.

I mean- there's an entire section of the City that's entirely run down with buildings and walls alike crumbling to shit.

sambo

biased shitlord
Nebulae
The plan was for the underground areas in D1 to actually be utilized by rebels as a way to link up with citizens to sell them stuff like the basement on City 17, but rebels have since rejected it and decided to just sit in CZ2 and allow citizens to just come across the bridge, as there is nothing stopping them from doing so, so the only purpose of the gassed sewer is for rebels to get to UD1 if the bridge is blocked for whatever reason and they don't want to get caught by CPs trespassing under the bridge.

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
The plan was for the underground areas in D1 to actually be utilized by rebels as a way to link up with citizens to sell them stuff like the basement on City 17, but rebels have since rejected it and decided to just sit in CZ2 and allow citizens to just come across the bridge, as there is nothing stopping them from doing so, so the only purpose of the gassed sewer is for rebels to get to UD1 if the bridge is blocked for whatever reason and they don't want to get caught by CPs trespassing under the bridge.

Because cps are free to walk in it and it's extremely high risk. The rebels who would accept it probably would be dead.

In regards to OP, bye.

Powley

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
City Twenty four is pretty shit tier but it's still better then most the things we've got.

surra

Molecule
Nebulae
c24 is a loyalist city, its supposed to look nice because its where the propaganda is made

21ml

Gillette, the best a man can get
B A N N E D
Nebulae
City 45 was the first HL2RP map I ever played. I remember it being pretty decent, but the rebel areas were kind of small.

In fact the whole thing was kinda small, from what I remember. It was decently made and has probably had a number of updates since.

Reactions: List

.:BurningFox:.

Professional cynic
Nebulae
I don't understand the hatred for City 24 honestly. I never seem to have the ghost town problem? It's always got people going around, CPs, citizens, that stuff. Only times it may not have that is when people are inactive because of jobs or school. On an evening it's usually jam packed and very fun.

The map itself looks fantastic and it's generally just the embodiment of unique. Compared to other places I've RPed, it's just so much better. I understand the lag issues, but, that's just something that's going to become more and more of a problem as time goes by, I feel...

TheRobsterDJ

Nucleus
Nebulae
There are still hundreds if not thousands of ideas to be had for this vast map, why discuss changing it so soon when we haven't even fully settled in yet?

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
it doesn't feel like Half-Life 2 RP, which is basically the one key to making a HL2RP map
I disagree.
It doesn't feel like HL2, yes. But to me at least, it very much feels like HL2RP. Not every place in the world is Eastern Europe, like what HL2 was set in. This map perfectly displays how a completely different location with a rich culture, could look after the 7 Hour War.

There really wasn't a reason to make it as large as it is
There is, actually. We had a hard time fitting in everything we wanted and to a degree needed in for example i17, due to the map's limited space. Factions were constantly bickering about who gets what and staff members argued about how this and this area should be used.
With this map, the only time I have seen anything similar arise is the Complex offices, and that is more of a logistical problem than a map problem.

And it looks too fancy to fit the HL2RP style, I mean, at least add some run-down, worn-out buildings not being used, maybe in the background, showing a deserted city beyond City 24, which would make it feel more like a City.
Again
It doesn't feel like HL2, yes. But to me at least, it very much feels like HL2RP. Not every place in the world is Eastern Europe, like what HL2 was set in. This map perfectly displays how a completely different location with a rich culture, could look after the 7 Hour War.
And also this
I mean- there's an entire section of the City that's entirely run down with buildings and walls alike crumbling to shit.

there's no outlands
Trust me, you don't want a built-in Outlands. Last time that happened, people were happy for like two weeks before going "Uuhhh just give us real Outlands :mad:"

Think that may be dependent on your rig and etc, I don't experience those problems.

The only thing I really see is an actual reason to switch away from/edit the map is the performance problems.

Shockwave

Neutrino
Nebulae
I like big maps, I like city 24 because its pretty spaced out compared to some other maps which can be tiny.