Imperator: Rome

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
RomeLobby.jpg

Veni vidi vici, ave caesar and please spare my wallet

Out the 25th of April, paradox grand strategy set around prime time classical era. A lot of interesting mechanics and looks a lot more visually pleasing that previous 4x paradox titles which is always a plus. Seems to take on a bit of the ck2 styled character focus but not to the same extent, all with a whole bunch of seemingly new mechanics that I've not seen in a paradox game so far. The dev clashes are a good place to see how it all works and how it's going to look.

What do you boys think? Any chance for an in-house neb game once it comes out?​

Reactions: List

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
I've only played one of these paradox games so I do have a question.
What's the difference between them all? They all look the same.

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
I've only played one of these paradox games so I do have a question.
What's the difference between them all? They all look the same.
Biggest face-value differences are time periods, current timeline being:
Imperator Rome - CK2 - EU4 - Victoria 2 - HOI4 - (((Stellaris)))

They all function very differently and have different focuses when it comes to strategy, all of them working very differently and requiring seperate skills. CK2 is very character and lineage focused while EU4 is more about state wars, colonialism and trade, HOI4 is centered around WW2 so it's very tied to a short time period and more in-depth military strategy in a modern setting.

Mic15000

The Underdog
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Alright, now we need a paradox game in grug times so I can make devolution real.

Also one in modern cities would be cool.

not tiger

Proton
Nebulae

Kerim

Proton
Nebulae
looked like an amazing mix between eu4 and ck2 from what i remember seeing from the little footage that they let out so ye gonna be a good one hopefully without TOO MANY dlc's

liew

Don't Shoot I'm Too Short
Nebulae

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
this just released a minute or two ago let's go boys it's out let's go

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
might just be me but imo the ui looks horribly ugly and unrefined in this compared to their other games

still gonna try it tho :^)

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
might just be me but imo the ui looks horribly ugly and unrefined in this compared to their other games

still gonna try it tho :^)
the marble aesthetic works surprisingly well and fits in with the rest of the visuals of the game really. That being said, the UI itself is very very dense this time around and finding what you need takes longer than in other games because of it

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
Do you recommend then, lads?
I've played about 5 hours of Rome so far and I can say that the combat systems are pretty on point this time around with stances, unit types, military ideas and cultural traditions. Much more similar to the Stellaris system of analyzing what you're up against to tailor armies and strategies instead of just doomstacking the enemy to death. There's a lot of emphasis on terrain-play as well, which means it's easily possible to outsmart, outmaneuver and win over a numerically larger enemy.

The character system is nice but no where near the RPG-esque stuff of CK2 (and not designed to be either, from what I can tell), it just adds more depth to the political systems that are very well designed and implemented. Economy systems have some proper depth and the pop system of cities and colonization works pretty well. All things combined makes the game really daunting at first since there's such an extreme amount of things to keep track of and to build your strategy around, with a UI that's packed to the brim with stuff to boot.

pic related is an example of how dense the UI is. This is what you get when you left click on the city of Roma
9fa32b1407a7e2ea820454cef285308d.jpg

I should also add that the game looks great. It looks fucking fantastic, actually. Easily the best looking Paradox game and grand strategy game I've seen in a long long time.

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
ngl lads the ui is scuffed
a lot of important info as far as i know is hidden away in really obscure places, the game is awful with the tooltips informing what things do what
its just generally confusing and could have been designed a lot better with for example different tabs for province info, country info, etc ala EU4 or CK2

saying "oh it just takes some getting used to" or "its that by design to make it more difficult and indepth" or whatever else doesnt really excuse it, a good ui design isnt one that takes hours to wrap your head around

otherwise idk its pretty good i guess playing tribal politics is fun

Angel

she/her/they nonbinary transfem
Nebulae
I've only seen bad shit about the game...
seems like I'll stick to EU4

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
I've only seen bad shit about the game...
seems like I'll stick to EU4
out of all other paradox games imperator rome probably has the most eu4-esque combat

i've played 14 hours so far and there's a bunch of shit i don't understand but once you start getting into the character-play and the real combat it gets really good. Haven't played tribes so far so I can't speak for that aspect

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
out of all other paradox games imperator rome probably has the most eu4-esque combat

i've played 14 hours so far and there's a bunch of shit i don't understand but once you start getting into the character-play and the real combat it gets really good. Haven't played tribes so far so I can't speak for that aspect
settled tribes is the only thing ive played so far which is why i havent really complained about gameplay much since idk the rest

tribes are fun though, at least the family/clan politics are
though it is a severe pain in the ass (aka very difficult) to keep the clans loyal

i regret playing tribe first

the last man

corn lord
Nebulae
settled tribes is the only thing ive played so far which is why i havent really complained about gameplay much since idk the rest

tribes are fun though, at least the family/clan politics are
though it is a severe pain in the ass (aka very difficult) to keep the clans loyal

i regret playing tribe first
i thought that i wanted a good grip of basic mechanics before playing tribes (which i'm guessing is way harder), so i've only played Rome and Egypt so far