Completed Implement a weight-based storage system

Status
Not open for further replies.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Suggestion:
Alter the storage system to use weight instead of a shoddy grid system.

Why it would be worth adding:
No more being unable to fit items because they are too big for things (looking at you, 5x1 rifles) since the grid system does not allow for item rotation. Also, items could be altered under a weight system without horribly breaking things or deleting storage (like the grid system does).

Just with the following caveats:

Uniforms do NOT alter capacity size.

Storage slots are limited to the following (belt, backpack, pouch, holster, sling) & each has a slot capacity of 10 points.
An example of this would be a pouch taking up 2 slots, meaning you have a maximum of 5 pouches that can be used.
The following are an example of potential items and their size.
BACKPACK SLOT:
Traveling backpack - 10 points (maximum of 1)
Sports backpack - 5 points (maximum of 2)
Improvised backpack - 5 points (maximum of 2)
Suitcase - 10 points (maximum of 1)

POUCH:
Bag - 4 points (maximum of 2)
Pouch - 2 points (maximum of 5)

SLING
Rifle Sling - 5 points (maximum of 2)
Improvised Rope Sling - 10 points (maximum of 1)

BELT
Toolbelt - 5 points (maximum of 2 slots)
Hip belt - 5 points (maximum of 2)

HOLSTER
Shoulder Holster - 5 points (maximum of 2)
Leg Holster - 5 points (maximum of 2)

Max personal weight 10 - 15 kg (and cannot be increased without items, meaning no ridiculous stat buffs upping inventory size).

Necessary content:
Code alterations.

RedMan

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
In my opinion, I think it would be far better to introduce equipment slots for a single backpack and two pouches. Allow the kevlar and the uniform to provide you some additional grid storage space, and that should solve the problem of having to carry four backpacks that otherwise crowd roughly 3/4 of your base inventory system.

No more being unable to fit items because they are too big for things (looking at you, 5x1 rifles) since the grid system does not allow for item rotation.

By introducing alternative sources of inventory space, it should declutter the need to carry the 4-5 backpacks that otherwise prevent you from carrying your ambigiously large weapons.

A rotation system for the crate storage would be ideal. It would make playing Tetris with my scripts much more entertaining.

We should be distancing ourselves from the idea that we are Sam Porter Bridges, that we somehow need to carry five backpacks, ten pouches, and God knows what else in order to finally be satisfied with the quantity that we are carrying.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
A rotation system for the crate storage would be ideal. It would make playing Tetris with my scripts much more entertaining.
Per alex, it's never going to happen.

We need to distance ourselves from this idea that we can 'fix' the grid system - if the developer himself says it's too much work (literally rewriting the entire thing), it won't occur.

Without rotation, we are chaining ourselves to a system that cannot properly work by it's own merits.

Reactions: List

OneClassyBanana

kilroy was here
Nebulae
Just make every 'resistance' uniform give you the same middling amount of carry if there's a serious consideration being given to the weight system. They're all basically identical models with different textures, blacksuits included, and having arbitrarily jacked stats on the blacksuit because they're blacksuits is dumb. Make it a trade-off for the increased armor. Give the larger carry buffs to things like hazmat suits. Less armor, more utility.
As per the screenie thread.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
As per the screenie thread.
Uniforms shouldn't factor into carry weight at all, simply because then everything has to be balanced around what people may or may not be wearing instead of the storage items themselves.

At most, uniforms should be weightless when equipped.

OneClassyBanana

kilroy was here
Nebulae
Uniforms shouldn't factor into carry weight at all, simply because then everything has to be balanced around what people may or may not be wearing instead of the storage items themselves.

At most, uniforms should be weightless when equipped.
My concern is buffs from certain suit types granting greater carry capacity than others.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
My concern is buffs from certain suit types granting greater carry capacity than others.
Just with the following caveats:

Uniforms do NOT alter capacity size.

Instead of spending eons on balancing, they shouldn't give any buffs.

It's easier to adjust a few storage items that work on a slot basis, than dozens of suits which would each need their own reworking.

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
I'll need to gather actual feedback if this is actually wanted before spending time looking into it, it's quite a large change, and the plugin mentioned in a past thread is not public - so will need to do it all by hand, so I'd rather gather more info and have it discussed more before jumping onto it.

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I'll need to gather actual feedback if this is actually wanted before spending time looking into it, it's quite a large change, and the plugin mentioned in a past thread is not public - so will need to do it all by hand, so I'd rather gather more info and have it discussed more before jumping onto it.
personally I'm not a big fan of the weight suggestion. seems more cumbersome than anything, there is little gain and I think most players would prefer to sticking to what they know.

I think it would be cool to have designated spaces for backpacks, bags and pouches (could be a good time to add the PAC3 backpacks you and jaydawg made last year?)

I like inventory tetris. I don't like doing inventory tetris AND weight. I hate most/all weight inventory systems, it makes my head hurt and they are always more annoying than they are fun.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
I think it would be cool to have designated spaces for backpacks, bags and pouches (could be a good time to add the PAC3 backpacks you and jaydawg made last year?)
If we don't go to a Weight based system, I'd rather see a system where you have designated slots for pouches/bags and you equip them to your body. Because I dislike how currently people need to run around and get 4 Travel Backpacks to have a satisfied inventory system.

Instead just have designated slots: 1 Backpack, 1 Small Utility bag, Bunch of Pouch Slots.

Each slot equipped just straight up Expands your inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.