Denied Just add PAC already

Status
Not open for further replies.

WstStranger

Proton
Nebulae
I would like to opinion my view...
I do like PAC3, to what I tried so far, obviously, there are quite some exploits that I see already with a decent idea adressing them...

However, only 20% of the great ideas actually do something good, and one percent of the twenty, are revolutionary.
So, even if it is most probably not going too troublesome, I ask myself: Do we deserve to have in our hands such tools?

And, is it worth risking putting an unfundamental addon access on such a large scale server, uncertain there could be a loophole that would send everything to hell?

I would suggest revising this when performance issues and minges calm down, but for now, I, with a hard pill swallowed, have to say not to do anything for now.
But, we could take some tests into it, make it small scale, small details, but not now.

I hope you understand what I view, not an infinite goodness, not a black sheep, but a tool of uncertain approaches and results.

Chiptune

Quark
Nebulae
I would like to opinion my view...
I do like PAC3, to what I tried so far, obviously, there are quite some exploits that I see already with a decent idea adressing them...

However, only 20% of the great ideas actually do something good, and one percent of the twenty, are revolutionary.
So, even if it is most probably not going too troublesome, I ask myself: Do we deserve to have in our hands such tools?

And, is it worth risking putting an unfundamental addon access on such a large scale server, uncertain there could be a loophole that would send everything to hell?

I would suggest revising this when performance issues and minges calm down, but for now, I, with a hard pill swallowed, have to say not to do anything for now.
But, we could take some tests into it, make it small scale, small details, but not now.

I hope you understand what I view, not an infinite goodness, not a black sheep, but a tool of uncertain approaches and results.
In that case, I suggest an application-based test of sorts. I do not mind if it happens later, when the server "calms down" as you put it, I think the way you put it is very wise. I personally don't plan to use it for anything grand or to use it at all, I'm primarily just giving information regarding PAC because I hate the spreading of misinformation on the internet unless I'm the one doing it!!!

Nebulae
I don't understand how people are complaining about getting crashes on servers with PAC3, I have a 400 dollar piece of shit pre built computer and I have never had these issues with pac either. I've never seen someone "mass crash a server" with PAC, I don't think ever. I know its easy to just say things, and you know, source: Just believe me, but I think that PAC would be far less of your worries. I also don't understand the argument that this is somehow going to "Kill roleplay", this is an S2K server is it not? I would feel like me trying to MedRP with my friend and then getting mag dumped is way more roleplay killing than having a cool pair of sunglasses.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I don't understand how people are complaining about getting crashes on servers with PAC3, I have a 400 dollar piece of shit pre built computer and I have never had these issues with pac either. I've never seen someone "mass crash a server" with PAC, I don't think ever. I know its easy to just say things, and you know, source: Just believe me, but I think that PAC would be far less of your worries. I also don't understand the argument that this is somehow going to "Kill roleplay", this is an S2K server is it not? I would feel like me trying to MedRP with my friend and then getting mag dumped is way more roleplay killing than having a cool pair of sunglasses.
is this the bargaining stage of grief

Reactions: List

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
z2GPBWB.png

Now you have seen it.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
do you even play the server

Chiptune

Quark
Nebulae
Alright alright, enough clowning on OP... I'm sure they understand now lol
I believe my suggested compromise is fair, I'm not sure if it'll ever be seriously considered but if it is, I believe it can only be a positive. In the meantime, it most certainly won't be a massive loss not to have PAC usable for a few weeks or so, especially for CPs lol. But you know, since it's already mounted, it'd really be one guideline away from being usable in a very controlled environment, and like someone suggested earlier it wouldn't hurt to give it a trial of sorts, a testing phase. That's my take on it!

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
intricate visual customization is superfluous in a text-driven game such as this. the effort you put into making your avatar look pretty should be funneled into your roleplay instead.

if you're here just for the pretty pictures i can't imagine you're enjoying the medium to its fullest extent.
while i dont want pac on the server i dont really agree with this sentiment
a large part of roleplay is the ability to customize and portray your character, hence the big emphasis on cool armors and character creation in big rpg titles. you want to feel that your character is personalized to what you're trying to portray and in doing that can relate the visuals with what you're actually portraying. its different in an entirely text based medium, but this isn't that. you dont have to imagine what people look like because they're right there, or we might all well be default barney, but there's still a sore lack of unique identity

I think it goes hand in hand, it doesn't overlap and cancel out like you suggest

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
What you guys fail to realise is in the options tab of the spawn menu on the server already is PAC3 so this is a moot thread. As I've stated earlier we already use Pac for the modular clothing and it's the best of both worlds, it stops those outside of devs from using it and allows devs to make additional modular clothing.

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
PAC3 is on the server but inaccessible to most players; making it available to a majority of players would seriously impact the server's general nature, as it isn't just a spot for people to try and be completely unique individuals. Individuality is good, but that individuality is born from the text those people write through speech, actions, and descriptions.

Giving everyone access to PAC3 so that they can create unique appearances, even if guidelines and rules are written for it, is one that will inevitably be abused, exploited, or mistreated in such a way that takes away from the roleplay experience and instead poorly replicates what one may be able to find on Moviestar Planet in a Half Life 2 setting. It also destroys a large portion of the progression that one can achieve on the server.

People like to show their progression through their appearance, because you actually have to work for it. There's a reason why even now there is a clear distinction between a Bluesuit and a Blacksuit, and how much progression it represents even now when there are better suits. With PAC3, you sidestep that important progression for the sake of individuality, which may work fine on a much smaller scale a la D&D-Inspired Gmod Events, but end up crippling the server as wearing a blacksuit is as simple as switching your model in PAC3.

When everyone's super, no one is.

Reactions: List
Status
Not open for further replies.