Denied Just add PAC already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nebulae
Suggestion: Add Pac3 to the server, behind an application or a trust based system
Why it would be worth adding: Pac3 adds a level of customizability to your character that I believe adds personalization, and I believe that it could help advance roleplay in that regard. Rebels can have distinct uniforms, the MPF can have more distinct outfits as well. "BUT WAIT" I hear you talking to yourself, "WHAT ABOUT THE FRAME DROPS THAT PAC CAUSES?" This is only caused by large PAC's that cause a strain on your framerate, this can easily be avoided by adding a size limiter to PAC, for example, no pac's over 10 MB's, the addon will filter it and not load an outfit that is over that size limit. There is no downside to adding PAC, as a matter of fact, as long as we keep it under application and have a size limit, I can only think of upsides.
Necessary content:https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=104691717

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae
intricate visual customization is superfluous in a text-driven game such as this. the effort you put into making your avatar look pretty should be funneled into your roleplay instead.

if you're here just for the pretty pictures i can't imagine you're enjoying the medium to its fullest extent.

Nebulae
intricate visual customization is superfluous in a text-driven game such as this. the effort you put into making your avatar look pretty should be funneled into your roleplay instead.
"Because roleplay is text based, you shouldn't add any kind of visual to make your character look more like how you want them to" -Nebulous cloud man
Also, have you ever thought that like, maybe, you can do both? There's been servers that have lasted years with PAC3 enabled with genuine roleplay in it

Chiptune

Quark
Nebulae
Only fossils don't include PAC these days. I'm surprised there are still people that aren't able to use it. But hey, always time to learn, it's not that hard.

There is no downside to it and it doesn't limit your RP. You can funnel effort into both looking good, and roleplaying well. One does not limit the other at all. Having character customization is great and there is no good argument you could make against it since you can limit the size and disable seeing other people's PACs if you're that bothered by it and for some reason have lag caused by it.

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
I started playing New York Nights, a Vampire: The Masquerade server, and having to learn how to use PAC3 was miserable
I just copypaste whatever bdb gives me for a model and go from there, yet have to reload it each time i connect
people randomly crash all the time mid-rp
people crash on connect
and it's all for what?
so that i can use a basic model and there's people out there looking like Blade with their leather outfits
Why spend 8+ hours building your character in PAC3 when you can just describe yourself in your detailed description? When it can just help the server run excellently instead of having everything be a struggle? When you have to forsake being able to just rp to having to wait some time every so often just so people can reconnect?
It's a mess, and it only works for small communities, and even then it barely works whatsoever

am i an angry old man? yes. do i care? no. will i continue shaking my fist at the PAC3 cloud? yes

Reactions: List
Nebulae
I started playing New York Nights, a Vampire: The Masquerade server, and having to learn how to use PAC3 was miserable
I just copypaste whatever bdb gives me for a model and go from there, yet have to reload it each time i connect
people randomly crash all the time mid-rp
people crash on connect
and it's all for what?
so that i can use a basic model and there's people out there looking like Blade with their leather outfits
Why spend 8+ hours building your character in PAC3 when you can just describe yourself in your detailed description? When it can just help the server run excellently instead of having everything be a struggle? When you have to forsake being able to just rp to having to wait some time every so often just so people can reconnect?
It's a mess, and it only works for small communities, and even then it barely works whatsoever

am i an angry old man? yes. do i care? no. will i continue shaking my fist at the PAC3 cloud? yes
Have you been roleplaying at all since 2017? Server crashes seriously aren't what you claim they are, and again, if PAC seriously causes you this much trouble (it's definitely on your end with your PC, not on the servers) you can disable it. NYN Has a higher download limit because it's a more extravagant universe where people have more flashy characters as compared to HL2RP, where the size limit should be much lower

Chiptune

Quark
Nebulae
I've been roleplaying on New York Nights since its first iteration, many months ago. The crashes are very rare and do not happen more often than on any other server. Most importantly, these are practically never caused by PAC. I have seen only a few cases of PACs crashing people in 13 years and every single time it was solved with a simple fix: click the "enable PAC" button, unticking it. Voilà.

You can disable PAC and leave it to the rest of us who enjoy having an appearance that is our own and doesn't require reading a 10 line description, which should be limited strictly to basic physical information anyway.

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
but we already have pac... its just not available to users...

Chiptune

Quark
Nebulae
I think the thread was originally asking for it to be behind an application. It's a pretty basic right in 2023, shouldn't be a staff-only tool. Making it application only would probably make it a lot easier to manage and ensure that no abuse can be done. You'd need to post a screenshot of the PAC to ensure no immersion breaking on the application, like they did it on .net.

Uranio

Atom
Nebulae
Server crashes seriously aren't what you claim they are
Explain it to the cheater that was using PAC3 right now to crash half of the server.

wt1a1zt.png

Nebulae
Explain it to the cheater that was using PAC3 right now to crash half of the server.

wt1a1zt.png
Yeah I can explain it easily actually, since there's no pac size limit (Due to it being admin use only), someone put a big one in and it crashed people. If you guys actually knew how PAC worked instead of claiming you do you'd know that you can easily prevent this by adding a size limit, but nobody bothered to read the thread or consider my idea, instead they went straight to lying about PAC

Chiptune

Quark
Nebulae

wt1a1zt.png
No PAC limit. If there was, the cheater would've used one of the many easier ways to crash a server

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Yeah I can explain it easily actually, since there's no pac size limit (Due to it being admin use only), someone put a big one in and it crashed people. If you guys actually knew how PAC worked instead of claiming you do you'd know that you can easily prevent this by adding a size limit, but nobody bothered to read the thread or consider my idea, instead they went straight to lying about PAC
That's not what happened.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
people that say 'yeah, I know this, you dont' then proceed to spread misinformation will never not be funny to me

Status
Not open for further replies.