• Asexual

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 5.8%

• Total voters

bubblegum

you should see me in a crown
Nebulae
Businesses should be able to discriminate on any grounds. I'm gay and I'd be fine with that. It's important to remember that the thing that kept Jim Crow in the South economically viable was the fact that it was legally mandated. In a world where segregation isn't the law, you don't need anti-discrimination statutes, because people who recognize that there is a lot of money to be made if you serve everyone will out-compete racists, homophobes, etc.

As for conservative hand wringing over Facebook banning them or whatever, they may have a somewhat legitimate legal argument because of Section 230 of Title 47, a result of the Communications Decency Act of 1996 which protects Facebook and other platforms from liability for things posted on their platform (for instance, if someone posts something defamatory on Facebook, Facebook can't be sued for defamation). Conservatives argue, though, that if Facebook edits, removes, blocks, etc. content and then receives coverage for liability by federal law (which it does), this technically means that the government is aiding in the "censorship" of that content, and this would violate the First Amendment. I actually find this to be a compelling argument, but as far as I am aware, the case law in the United States is not in favor of this argument, though I may be wrong. Of course, the Supreme Court is conservative now, so if a case got that far, they may very well rule in favor of just this argument. If such, Facebook would have a choice: don't remove any content or face potential liability for anything anyone posts on the platform.

All of that being said, conservatives could just make their own platform and compete.

Discriminate how, and what type of business? A business cannot and should not refuse you because you’re lgbt.

hi im gosu

irrelevant union bias
Nebulae
businesses cannot discriminate on basis of sexual orientation, however they can on basis of religion. religious companies are allowed to reject people of other religions or non-believers, however, non-believing companies arent allowed to do the same. which is wrong.

Reactions: List

bubblegum

Nebulae
businesses cannot discriminate on basis of sexual orientation, however they can on basis of religion. religious companies are allowed to reject people of other religions or non-believers, however, non-believing companies arent allowed to do the same. which is wrong.

"i dont like you because you like men and my book says thats wrong"

Sucks we live in a world where their feelings are more important than yours.

Zombine

DevelopersDevelopersDevelop
Nebulae
"i dont like you because you like men and my book says thats wrong"

Sucks we live in a world where their feelings are more important than yours.

I think hiring-wise if the company holds very religious values, they could technically be allowed to not hire you. Shit thing to do, but if their company is religious enough to care then they probably aren't worth working at.

But I agree, refusing to serve a paying customer based on traits which have zero effect on commerce should be prevented. My purchase of a product should not be denied simply because of my sexual orientation. It's not like the customers you serve affect your product or your lifestyle.

Mancom37

Atom
Nebulae
I think hiring-wise if the company holds very religious values, they could technically be allowed to not hire you. Shit thing to do, but if their company is religious enough to care then they probably aren't worth working at.

But I agree, refusing to serve a paying customer based on traits which have zero effect on commerce should be prevented. My purchase of a product should not be denied simply because of my sexual orientation. It's not like the customers you serve affect your product or your lifestyle.

There was this problem surrounding the whole cake ordeal back in the US, where the product in itself had to also be made by the worker (which I think was also the owner of the business ) which still held strong religious views. So now you have the problem of a small business ( something that really isn't a monopoly) having to also produce it.

bubblegum

Nebulae
There was this problem surrounding the whole cake ordeal back in the US, where the product in itself had to also be made by the worker (which I think was also the owner of the business ) which still held strong religious views. So now you have the problem of a small business ( something that really isn't a monopoly) having to also produce it.

I don't think that's really an issue. I feel anyone should be able to deny anyone the option of making something. I don't like the idea of compelling people to produce a product they don't want to make. I understand if you're in a small town and you're shit out of luck if you want a cake, or you literally can't find any cake makers who would do what you want. I don't think people are going to deny a gay wedding though if there's money involved.

Tics

Neutrino
Nebulae
Discriminate how, and what type of business? A business cannot and should not refuse you because you’re lgbt.
It is not against the law in the US (except in some states) to deny service to someone for being LGBT or to not hire them for being LGBT or to fire them for being LGBT.

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae
It is not against the law in the US (except in some states) to deny service to someone for being LGBT or to not hire them for being LGBT or to fire them for being LGBT.
it's a dick move though

don't really care about which holy book you think has the answers. it ain't about that. it's basic decency.

Husky

Nebulae
My books better than your book.
[doublepost=1558207975][/doublepost]My book is the hungry hungry caterpillar.

bubblegum

Nebulae

Yeah, you're right actually. Gender identity / expression and sexuality aren't protected classes. :\

Nebulae
Hey I wanted to ask this in the least toxic way I can.
With this being the internet and all, I am called a faggot quite a few times daily. What I am asking is if you really are gay, does it effect you in any way or do you call them a faggot back.
I myself do the latter.

PilotBland

community antagonizer
Nebulae
With this being the internet and all, I am called a faggot quite a few times daily. What I am asking is if you really are gay, does it effect you in any way or do you call them a faggot back.
I myself do the latter.

That question varies to the fuckton of LGBT people.

Me? I don’t care, a lot of people don’t take it to heart even though they’re gay. You really shouldn’t take anything on the internet that seriously.

Some do, though

aperson

Molecule
Nebulae
I myself do the latter.
call them a faggot back or ignore it, theyre only salty

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
I myself do the latter.
who the fuck cares

i call myself a faggot all the time (aswell as long-nose and every other thing that can be seen as offensive to me)

literally untouchable then so you can banter back calling them a dwarf or cockroach or waffle or whatever

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I myself do the latter.

faggot is one of the least offensive insults i've heard

if any person, gay, straight, or whatever gets offended by it, they need to widen their vocabulary

Postal

Molecule
Nebulae
I myself do the latter.

pretty sure faggots are food m8