Suggestion Limit the amount of time an assault can last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
Suggestion:
Limit the amount of time an attacking side can continue their assault to 30-45 minutes unless otherwise specified by @Numbers

Why it would be worth adding:
Because we're seeing engagements that last well over an hour, the one today came close to lasting two. It's ridiculous. People aren't on here to stay stuck in S2K for over an hour, they're here to RP.

These assaults should be quick and brutal, not things that last an absurd amount of time (so long that some people are actually having to disconnect and get off).

Necessary content:

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
agree
you have your chance, if you lose it you lose it
shock and awe or slip and slide your way around to a flank, don't sit around for ten years

the flipside can have their 'but htere's rp to be had in hiding' etc. etc. yeah there is but c'mon

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
was fun though not gonna lie.
there's definitely a place for a prolonged slugging match.

Perhaps something to introduce the attrition of a extended battle, make it harder to keep refreshing each side back to full.

Reactions: List
Nebulae
The_Front_Line_%282867541502%29.jpg

pictured: rebel side of the conflict going into day 3 of s2k engagement #42 awaiting the twenty-fixth NLR reinforcement regiment

Last edited:

Simman102

the Scourge of Roleplay
Nebulae
were you guys sitting at the gates waiting for the go-ahead at some point
I wasn't there personally today but basically yes. If I'm not mistaken it took ~40 minutes to get any response on auths

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
I wasn't there personally today but basically yes. If I'm not mistaken it took ~40 minutes to get any response on auths
oh sorry didn't know you weren't there
kinda needs a referendum because that's really not good on the players to be sitting there just waiting to start something, you guys stalled the entranceway and locked a good few people out of going there for a pretty big period of time
thankfully it seems everyone else realizes it and this'll probably never happen again

TheInnkeeper

Fear the Old Blood
Premium Member
Nebulae
Sweeps should have a time limit of 30 minutes. I've mentioned this to @Numbers before but I really agree with this.

Anti-tankspy

Nucleus
Nebulae
what is the point of playing rebel knowing that if I kill a cop/Ota they simply come back after every 15 mins

makes the combine unstoppable from an ooc pov lol

Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
what is the point of playing rebel knowing that if I kill a cop/Ota they simply come back after every 15 mins

As I said in the SC thread last night, the idea is to give people (rebels) incentive to calm their titties for a bit and just let things ease off because of the feedback surrounding constant S2K on the last map or two - especially when this is a city that is still mostly under Combine control still for now.

Of course actually discouraging conflict for a bit without going OTT is a tricky thing to do and people don't always get it right.

TheInnkeeper

Fear the Old Blood
Premium Member
Nebulae
As I said in the SC thread last night, the idea is to give people (rebels) incentive to calm their titties for a bit and just let things ease off because of the feedback surrounding constant S2K on the last map or two - especially when this is a city that is still mostly under Combine control still for now.

Of course actually discouraging conflict for a bit without going OTT is a tricky thing to do and people don't always get it right.
The thing is that I've seen, no prominent rebel characters have caused these sweeps. With the one today especially, it was literally someone who made the character a couple days ago, got a gun, solo shotcopped and then logged off. They were banned, ofc, but still.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
The thing is that I've seen, no prominent rebel characters have caused these sweeps. With the one today especially, it was literally someone who made the character a couple days ago, got a gun, solo shotcopped and then logged off. They were banned, ofc, but still.

Yeah, like I've said people don't always get it right sadly, and don't think I don't agree w/Subeh's suggestion btw because I totally do.

Its just difficult in situations like these where you may not initially know 'who' caused it, only that you have a few dead cops to deal with, and if you don't respond (because others players have no real context either) you may end up emboldening other rebels to go out and cause more shootouts from the lack of a response when you'd rather people just pump the breaks a bit.

Its a difficult thing to handle and always has been, especially because traditionally that's exactly what people will do if you just trust they'll keep in the loop and not push things too far.

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
the combine arent meant to be responding to the canal block (sd auth rebel zone) section every shotcop under the sun, every Man With Gun! they see, etc

significant ones, sure, ones where they plan accordingly yes but it isnt meant to happen over & over for every shitter shotcopper. and u sure as hell arent supposed to implement the same tactic of sending cops/ota every time to kill one singular shitter

get good at defending the city, because that's gonna be the map mainstay soon, if it wasn't obvious enough

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae

i mean that's for both sides tbh.

you can come back as well after 15 minutes

and CPs pay for their supplies as well it's not like they're infinite so

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
the combine arent meant to be responding to the canal block (sd auth rebel zone) section every shotcop under the sun, every Man With Gun! they see, etc

significant ones, sure, ones where they plan accordingly yes but it isnt meant to happen over & over for every shitter shotcopper. and u sure as hell arent supposed to implement the same tactic of sending cops/ota every time to kill one singular shitter

get good at defending the city, because that's gonna be the map mainstay soon, if it wasn't obvious enough
The response yesterday (From my perspective as OTA) was as follows.

-Shotcop(s) occured
- OTA deploy to perform sewer/underground sweep, no intent to breach canals surface.
- Cops deploy (idk if we knew) surface RB7 I believe it is.
- Cops start taking hits, some maybe died? I cant remember.
- OTA wrap up the underground, push top-side to reinforce cops against the suspected ambush.
- Took a minute or two until we got there, at which point cops were stuck in a stalemate. We reinforce them to hold the line while auths are now being asked due to the suspected ambush.
- Everyone that could auth was unavailable or non-responsive for ~40 minutes.
- Finally go ahead is given, we perform a pincer with a reinforcement wave that failed and the main force assaulted.
- Units captured, we deploy a second time to attempt to rescue them (we did with 1 surviving OTA and 2 escaped units)

We stood down after, then the OOC debackle happened.

While the core start was due to the shotcop, the further assault on the response warranted the attempt to get auths.

I might have a skewed perspective due to fog of war however, these are the (general) events as I remember them.

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae
The response yesterday (From my perspective as OTA) was as follows.

-Shotcop(s) occured
- OTA deploy to perform sewer/underground sweep, no intent to breach canals surface.
- Cops deploy (idk if we knew) surface RB7 I believe it is.
- Cops start taking hits, some maybe died? I cant remember.
- OTA wrap up the underground, push top-side to reinforce cops against the suspected ambush.
- Took a minute or two until we got there, at which point cops were stuck in a stalemate. We reinforce them to hold the line while auths are now being asked due to the suspected ambush.
- Everyone that could auth was unavailable or non-responsive for ~40 minutes.
- Finally go ahead is given, we perform a pincer with a reinforcement wave that failed and the main force assaulted.
- Units captured, we deploy a second time to attempt to rescue them (we did with 1 surviving OTA and 2 escaped units)

We stood down after, then the OOC debackle happened.

While the core start was due to the shotcop, the further assault on the response warranted the attempt to get auths.

I might have a skewed perspective due to fog of war however, these are the (general) events as I remember them.
We pushed up and held for auths because we believed the person that shotcopped retreated into the OOC zone

Status
Not open for further replies.