Serious Lootboxes/MTs - what do you think?

Deadpool

A turtle made it to the water
Nebulae
So, a recent response from Ubisoft in response to microtransactions being confirmed in the upcoming title: 'Trial's Rising' has me curious on what everyone's opinions here are about this kind of shit. It'd be safe to assume the majority here dislikes them or are merely content with ignoring them and not spending money which is a totally understandable stance as well.

Here is the response from Ubisoft on the previously mentioned:
VDIPBvA.png

As you can see, the guy makes an argument that these business practices have been a 'boon' for the gaming industry and have only made games more popular and that they aren't a bad thing 'if done right'. Of course you can guess what kind of scathing responses he's gotten in return, link to the full discussion is here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/641080/discussions/0/1739968490558835150/

My personal opinion: I think they are 100% understandable in free to play games like Fornite or even the one's that really started it like TF2. Difference is with Fortnite they are obviously cosmetic and TF2 lets you unlock shit as you play. They need to make money from their product somehow, right?

However I dislike this practice in primarly singleplayer games, as not only do I believe they are extremely out of place, it can upset a game's balance and flow (Look at Dead Space 3, Assassins Creeds, among others). I'm not entirely sure I agree with the idea that these practices have made games better in general, if anything it's only made myself reflect on games from the past in a better light. Back when shit like cheat codes or unlockable costumes would be accessible via in game challenges or whatever, not cordoned off and sold seperately

A game I played recently had a whole chunk seemingly ripped out of it as DLC (Mankind Divided) which is insulting for a game that seems unfinished to begin with.

What do you think?
Like another ubisoft dev said before, “they wouldnt exist if people wouldnt buy them”. Also whales influence this a ton, sadly.