Serious Lootboxes/MTs - what do you think?

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
So, a recent response from Ubisoft in response to microtransactions being confirmed in the upcoming title: 'Trial's Rising' has me curious on what everyone's opinions here are about this kind of shit. It'd be safe to assume the majority here dislikes them or are merely content with ignoring them and not spending money which is a totally understandable stance as well.

Here is the response from Ubisoft on the previously mentioned:
VDIPBvA.png

As you can see, the guy makes an argument that these business practices have been a 'boon' for the gaming industry and have only made games more popular and that they aren't a bad thing 'if done right'. Of course you can guess what kind of scathing responses he's gotten in return, link to the full discussion is here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/641080/discussions/0/1739968490558835150/

My personal opinion: I think they are 100% understandable in free to play games like Fornite or even the one's that really started it like TF2. Difference is with Fortnite they are obviously cosmetic and TF2 lets you unlock shit as you play. They need to make money from their product somehow, right?

However I dislike this practice in primarly singleplayer games, as not only do I believe they are extremely out of place, it can upset a game's balance and flow (Look at Dead Space 3, Assassins Creeds, among others). I'm not entirely sure I agree with the idea that these practices have made games better in general, if anything it's only made myself reflect on games from the past in a better light. Back when shit like cheat codes or unlockable costumes would be accessible via in game challenges or whatever, not cordoned off and sold seperately

A game I played recently had a whole chunk seemingly ripped out of it as DLC (Mankind Divided) which is insulting for a game that seems unfinished to begin with.

What do you think?

Reactions: List

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
Man fuck I loved Trials Evolution and Fusion, making maps and shit was so fun

Honestly lootboxes wouldn’t be a thing if people didn’t buy them, I don’t but so long as they are purely cosmetic and not game changing I don’t care

Powley

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I have a gambling problem on csgo

Any game with any kind of loot is system sucks a good few pennies out of me

Twar

The truth is out there
Nebulae
I have a gambling problem on csgo

Any game with any kind of loot is system sucks a good few pennies out of me
How much did you spend on those SWTOR boxes for those cool cosmetics and mounts again?

Josh

Nucleus
Nebulae
as long as they are purely cosmetic, sure, put as many as you want in your game. i have bought some in the past, but usually it's after i've played a game enough for me to justify in my head spending even more money on it - given that it's not a free game.

it's when devs offer shit like currency and things that can boost your progress past another player's, shit like in mobile games is when it becomes a problem to me, whether it's a free game or not.

Gabe

Molecule
Nebulae
I think lootboxes should be like in overwatch, you just get cosmetics, no real effect on the game itself. If you buy them you do it on your own accord, but you should still be able to get loot boxes for free by doing stuff in game

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
have bought some in the past, but usually it's after i've played a game enough for me to justify in my head spending even more money on it
Oh yeah I'm sure we've all bought something at one point or another. I bought the dab emote on fortnite and tf2 keys a bunch

Difference is if the base game gives you enough content to justify a purchase and can stand up on its own without it and if it's noninstrusive shit that doesn't ruin the base game.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Cosmetic stuff is fine but being able to skip progression via lootboxes and encouraging people to spend more and more money to unlock "the thing" is a no for me.

cns - he/him/his

The Winner
Nebulae
I think lootboxes should be like in overwatch, you just get cosmetics, no real effect on the game itself. If you buy them you do it on your own accord, but you should still be able to get loot boxes for free by doing stuff in game
The Overwatch skins have an effect on my penis, at least some of them

Roosebud

Molecule
Nebulae
I always buy cosmetics and shit like research boosts in games like war thunder because I don't have time to grind on a daily basis

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Cosmetic micro transactions are ok for F2P games and I'd even say games you pay for they're alright to be in (I myself have probably spent way too much money on cosmetics in DbD and APB for example)

But lootboxes are extremely gay and always have been gay, cosmetic only or not

It's a shitty business predatory business practice and makes it so you end up with complete dog shit skins you don't want

Just let me buy them separately with my own money instead of making me grind boxes/buy boxes for that 1/100 chance of an actually good skin

aperson

Molecule
Nebulae
I'm fine with them as long as their cosmetics or you can reasonably get the items without grinding much (see Warthunder as a bad example), though I have a problem with it if it targets children/teens

All Adm*ns are Bastards

Atom
B A N N E D
Nebulae
My TF2 gambling days got nipped in the bud when I received 4 Coldsnap Caps in a row. 4 Coldsnap Caps and now I'm coming up to 4 years clean. Let's get some laws in place to make lootboxes the same colour as fag packets across all games. When you go to open that TF2 crate there will no longer be a fancy animation but a simple countdown on a solid screen of Pantone 448 C with a few statistics detailing the correlation between lootbox addiction and a life of utter destitution