Suggestion Lose RL rank on death

vinny the rat

Proton
Nebulae
Like RedMan said, there are gameplay and lore implications for PKing RLs upon death, and you could grind the entire faction to a halt by killing these few cops. This is great for rebels, because they can paralyze their main opposing faction, but I think it would have a negative impact on the CP faction OOCly.

The fair middle ground, I think, is to make RL deaths in certain situations be PKs. They are after all high value targets because there are only 7 of them assigned to the garrison, and they are the ones who train, equip, and manage the garrison. Because they're so important to the faction, they shouldn't be going out on raids and patrols as often as they are, and this could also create an interesting dynamic where RLs act like Officers in the military who plan and manage, but rely on NCOs (or 75% RP cops in this case) to execute the mission.

But yeah, IMO this would also help cure some of the elitism surrounding RLs. The desire to become an RL should come from a desire to help manage the faction ICly, and not because they're an exclusive club of top tier S2Kers with their own containers and scripts.

Reactions: List

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
Like RedMan said, there are gameplay and lore implications for PKing RLs upon death, and you could grind the entire faction to a halt by killing these few cops. This is great for rebels, because they can paralyze their main opposing faction, but I think it would have a negative impact on the CP faction OOCly.

The fair middle ground, I think, is to make RL deaths in certain situations be PKs. They are after all high value targets because there are only 7 of them assigned to the garrison, and they are the ones who train, equip, and manage the garrison. Because they're so important to the faction, they shouldn't be going out on raids and patrols as often as they are, and this could also create an interesting dynamic where RLs act like Officers in the military who plan and manage, but rely on NCOs (or 75% RP cops in this case) to execute the mission.

But yeah, IMO this would also help cure some of the elitism surrounding RLs. The desire to become an RL should come from a desire to help manage the faction ICly, and not because they're an exclusive club of top tier S2Kers with their own containers and scripts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not still really quite difficult for rebels to score PK auths on cops due to their anonymous nature?

I'm not advocating for any new PK rules on RLs, it's just the same as for every other cop meaning rebels aren't going to be dropping them constantly and permanently, they have to meet the standard criteria for PK's.

Flippy

stoner rp
Nebulae
Why not just make it so RLs have three lives again?

You die under valid PK situations three times (which has been pointed out to already be hard) and you lose the RL and have to wait a month to reapply.

While I agree RLs are important to the flow of the cop system, doesn't mean they should get away scott free if they cock up three times, even more so if the same isn't shown to other cops.

PK in this iteration is much more a punishment for reckless actions than it was before, as shown in our rules (Mines, Hunters, Lone wolf etc etc).

Flop

Secret dingus man
Nebulae
Why not just make it so RLs have three lives again?

You die under valid PK situations three times (which has been pointed out to already be hard) and you lose the RL and have to wait a month to reapply.

While I agree RLs are important to the flow of the cop system, doesn't mean they should get away scott free if they cock up three times, even more so if the same isn't shown to other cops.

PK in this iteration is much more a punishment for reckless actions than it was before, as shown in our rules (Mines, Hunters, Lone wolf etc etc).
From your wording I'm making a guess this is how things used to be? In previous iterations? (correct me if wrong)

Flippy

stoner rp
Nebulae
From your wording I'm making a guess this is how things used to be? In previous iterations? (correct me if wrong)
Yessir.

Was a harsher rule back then too, as, if you died 3 times you'd lose your RL and that included during sweeps. It was the only rank you could lose via dying (outside of incompetence) while just doing your job.

The only people this didn't count, was headcops for obvious reasons. But having it tied to the PK system we have, I think it's more than fair given how rare they are in the first place.

Flop

Secret dingus man
Nebulae
Yessir.

Was a harsher rule back then too, as, if you died 3 times you'd lose your RL and that included during sweeps. It was the only rank you could lose via dying (outside of incompetence) while just doing your job.

The only people this didn't count, was headcops for obvious reasons. But having it tied to the PK system we have, I think it's more than fair given how rare they are in the first place.
I think I can get behind this tbh, die 3 times under valid PK circumstances and you get the boot.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
I think I can get behind this tbh, die 3 times under valid PK circumstances and you get the boot.
I think it's more than fair given how rare they are in the first place.
We had someone actively go out of their way to attempt a coup, bit much if the response to that is "oh ok just don't die twice after or we might have to give you a one month suspension...".

They had to wait two months, that's already what the existing status quo is. Why should they get two more chances and half the penalty for what we're already enforcing? Considering right now you need to jump through sixteen hoops and fill out a ton of regs to even get permission to shoot one to begin with.

There's plenty of rogues, know how many of them have permission to even try something like that?
And then you want people - or environmental factors - to kill people again and again for this thing to take effect?

they're an exclusive club of top tier S2Kers with their own containers and scripts.
And here we are, the mentality for why there's been so many complaints.

RL's exist to lead. You heard me, lead. People shouldn't be getting in and then running their own exclusive PT teams for kicks while others are shouting for direction/instruction and getting fobbed off, it's bad enough that the belief of "roleplay is hijacking the faction" is already spread around because some want to kill and kill and kill and that's all they bloody do, itching for endless s2k.

I can count on three fingers the RL's who have gone out of their way to do anything more than throw orders during combat, take charge of other PT's during downtime for graveyard entertainment or tried to encourage people to enjoy alternatives to constant s2k.

None of them sit in locked VOIP channels endlessly.
Almost like there's a causation effect with that.

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
I know I'll sound pedantic, but a lot of 50s doesn't make the roster top-heavy. It's basically just proof you completed the trial period of 25 - certified not-glue-eater, in essence. From what I've experienced, the jump between 50 and 75 is a Grand Canyon levels of chasm compared to the footlong gap between 25 and 50.
I was a 25 since asheville and only got promoted to 50 in the alps after 4 deployments (many more not listed) and orange fist medal, after kindly recommending myself for a promotion

It's only footlong if you have friends in high places

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
I was a 25 since asheville and only got promoted to 50 in the alps after 4 deployments (many more not listed) and orange fist medal, after kindly recommending myself for a promotion

Honestly, that sounds rough. I went from 25 in Apocalypse to 50 early into Asheville without doing anything particularly noteworthy in the former map. Afterwards, however, I was stuck at 50 until I killed off my character and resigned from the whitelist at the end of C24.
I can only assume there's no checklist that RLs run through to check whether someone's played long enough or been otherwise meritous to warrant a promotion.

RedMan

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I can only assume there's no checklist that RLs run through to check whether someone's played long enough or been otherwise meritous to warrant a promotion.
There is no official checklist. All promotions and demotions are at the discression of the Rank Leaders themselves, and they have their own interpretations and expectations for each set of rank points.

Personally, I expect a player to demonstrate reliability and competency in order to make a jump from 25% to 50%. As for making a jump from 50% to 75%, I observe the protrayal of the character; leadership, interaction with the garrison, and generally being a good role model for the faction. There are the obvious unmentioned excemptions depending how I decide to protray my character's mood, but the cheat card has been laid out in front of you - at least when it comes to seeking a promotion from me.

I have also been approachable when it comes to promotions and demotions in-character and out-of-character. It is not an easy process, and I do not plan to make it difficult for other people either. This does not mean you will receive a promotion upon demand, but it introduces discussion.

Nebulae

While partially true, this also depends on the type of cop you play (and a bunch of other factors, like luck and which RL is on): I have played five cops, 3 of which have got to 50 pretty quickly and 1 of which got to 75 after some time. The one who got to 75 was a medic. Taking that path as a cop will get you to 75 pretty quickly. I haven't been too active on my current cop but I've been on several deployments and a raid with little to no mistakes and he's still a 25.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Ironically enough this sort of setup is a good microcosm for why systems like High Command are often so frustrating.

With no access to guaranteed rank-ups via shit like SC and instead relying entirely on your superiors to notice you, progress can be painfully slow.

Nebulae
Ironically enough this sort of setup is a good microcosm for why systems like High Command are often so frustrating.

With no access to guaranteed rank-ups via shit like SC and instead relying entirely on your superiors to notice you, progress can be painfully slow.
Yeah, it would be cool if we had some sort of credit system with updated rewards and requirements to fit the setting, i.e. earning 1 credit for not dying in a patrol.

Because as of right now, it's hard to gauge how good a unit is doing unless you've been with them personally. Most unit's data files are barren & show no record of their achievements.

EDIT: This is probably more appropriate to bring up in the Civil Protection CCC thread, my apologies.