• Leopard 2A7 (German)

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Leopard 2A5 (German)

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Aziatsky

Proton
Nebulae
Any guys who like tanks out there? I know I do. And good news all you tank lovers! The new M1A2SEPV3 came out. It stands for M1A2 Abrams with Systems Enhancement Package version 3. It basically upgrades the systems on board and even gives the armor a big boost.

Here's a pic.

S1z5Zge.jpg

and another:

00yIVTy.jpg

It's yet to see combat but I'm sure it'll be great with its upgraded systems that allow better situational awareness for the crew as well as better protection. But a problem with the M1 platform is arising, it weighs nearly 70 tons, that's really heavy even for a tank. This is because of how much crew protection it has. Since the M1 is undoubtedly the most protected tank there is, it's heavy as balls because depleted uranium weighs a lot due to density. How do you think they'll tackle this problem? Less armor? More advanced armor of some kind? Pls discuss

What is your favorite MBT today? Mine, I think, is pretty obvious.

Reactions: List

Aziatsky

Proton
Nebulae
Only good part about the Tiger series were the guns

Notorious for their over-engineering and mechanical unreliability. The Panther was a better choice.
Actually, they were very very reliable. The only problem were the crew. The driver often would over-rev the engine which caused it to break down.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Actually, they were very very reliable. The only problem were the crew. The driver often would over-rev the engine which caused it to break down.
  • Armor resulted in the Tiger becoming bogged down in swamps etc. Which meant the crew couldn't recover it due to the weight of the vehicle itself, resulting in the tank being scuttled.
  • Bad transmission
  • Extensive time required to replace parts if the tank broke down, this goes for the tracks as well due to a over-complicated suspension design
  • Due to the over-engineered nature it was extremely expensive to produce and replace in contrast to the Soviet and American counterparts

Aziatsky

Proton
Nebulae
  • Armor resulted in the Tiger becoming bogged down in swamps etc. Which meant the crew couldn't recover it due to the weight of the vehicle itself, resulting in the tank being scuttled.
  • Bad transmission
  • Extensive time required to replace parts if the tank broke down, this goes for the tracks as well due to a over-complicated suspension design
  • Due to the over-engineered nature it was extremely expensive to produce and replace in contrast to the Soviet and American counterparts
That was just about every vehicle during that time.

LatvianViking

Proton
Nebulae
In regards of the Tiger, yes it was a great tank for its time. They even wanted to fit heat sensors and stabilizators in later versions, which would have really made it compete against post war NATO tanks.
The downside of it was the cost of production. Germany was already losing the war and to make tanks like these, the economy almost broke down. Maybe if they had started the production earlier, it would have changed the course of the war.
Also, I don't remember where I read it, but can someone confirm that Tiger used electric motors which turned the wheels and the energy for them was generated by the main internal combustion engine.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
That was just about every vehicle during that time.
Not really

T-34 was cheap and cost effective due to the sloping of the armor, which meant that it wasn't required for much metal to be used during the production. It was also fitted with the bare minimum. It was also easy to repair or just outright replace entire parts due to the cheap nature of the vehicles. (Which can be said for pretty much most Russian vehicles during WW2) Example of strong Russian design in work

M4 Sherman was also a good vehicle, though it wasn't meant for the war it took part in.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
The downside of it was the cost of production. Germany was already losing the war and to make tanks like these, the economy almost broke down. Maybe if they had started the production earlier, it would have changed the course of the war.
Also, I don't remember where I read it, but can someone confirm that Tiger used electric motors which turned the wheels and the energy for them was generated by the main internal combustion engine.
You fail to realize that Germany wouldn't have produced the Tiger series along with the Jagdpanthers etc. If they hadn't found a need for developing bigger and better vehicles after fighting the Soviet Union.

Saying "well if they did it before they would've won" is redundant as it would never have happened without conflict, thus making it impossible.

And I have never heard of the whole internal combustion engine thing.
[doublepost=1474748305][/doublepost]
Don't know about the tanks, but soviet vehicles were infamous for breaking down.
[Citation needed]

LatvianViking

Proton
Nebulae
And I have never heard of the whole internal combustion engine thing.
Nevermind, I checked and they had fitted that system on some tanks. There's basically diesel engine that generates power for electric motor to turn wheels. I guess it failed.

D

Deleted member 150

Don't know about the tanks, but soviet vehicles were infamous for breaking down.
filthy capitalist scum
its all propaganda
heres an example of amazing soviet design, extremely effective in battle
SBX23b.jpg

was very useful and had amazing design

LatvianViking

Proton
Nebulae
I am an owner of soviet motorcycle which has a lot of technical faults, aka keeps breaking down daily.
My dad has driven many soviet cars, once his niva's wheel broke off and caused him to crash. Another time his zaporozets gearbox bearings fucked up and blocked the wheels up, causing him to crash.
However, one thing I like about those soviet cars and motorcycles is their edgy looking design and the sheer fun of riding a soviet vehicle.

Last edited:

Aziatsky

Proton
Nebulae
Soviet anything breaks down. Look at the Soviet Union, they even broke down. The entire country broke up! Capitalism will reign supreme!!!