Making a map, working windows worth it?

World Prop

Quark
Nebulae
Made a window seal, made it a func_detail because- Well look at it.
The window sliding part is a simple func_door.
I was thinking of making different types of openable windows for the map but I was thinking if people would even care. Like how I plan to give every apartment operable lightswitches to give interactivity.

Video sound is out of sync, sorry.
Tell me if this is worth putting into the map and if you have any other ideas.

dvn

Atom
Nebulae
The switches sound like an absolutely great idea. About the windows though, if they're downstairs on ground level you shouldn't give them a func_door, but make them breakable. Windows into roofs and other areas such as train tracks on i17 or maybe a river for an escape route should be kept as doors.
By the way, what kind of map are you aiming for?

Reactions: List

World Prop

Quark
Nebulae
The switches sound like an absolutely great idea. About the windows though, if they're downstairs on ground level you shouldn't give them a func_door, but make them breakable. Windows into roofs and other areas such as train tracks on i17 or maybe a river for an escape route should be kept as doors.
By the way, what kind of map are you aiming for?
I'm going for a kowloon walled city style

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
I've used this a few times in some cases on Refuge and RiverCrossing (to allow breaching in WW3RP houses and in HL2RP)
It's good to use in limited spaces.

dvn

Atom
Nebulae
I'm going for a kowloon walled city style
Cool, your idea sounds promising for a WW3RP-style CQB area. Would give shotguns more of a purpose as back in the day of the coals and globs all that was used was M4s and AK12s for CQB and longrange. I'd love to see people using shotties again.
bring back the ks-23 it was my favourite

I've used this a few times in some cases on Refuge and RiverCrossing (to allow breaching in WW3RP houses and in HL2RP)
It's good to use in limited spaces.
All I can imagine now is waiting for a whole squad to run past my window, open it and jump out, then spray them all from behind.
That would be so good.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Problem is that giving every room manuverable windows and lights will result in you running into the hammer limits quickly, it can support only so many func_buttons/doors.

Kowloon would have ceiling gaps, vents and other maintinece stuff instead of exterior windows, which you don’t want as if you gain access outside the walled city (implying you (poorly) decide to make a non-skybox environment beyond the city) you’re effectively forced into a cube beyond a cube for no real reason - also meaning Cops have a harder time reaching you.

dvn

Atom
Nebulae
Problem is that giving every room manuverable windows and lights will result in you running into the hammer limits quickly, it can support only so many func_buttons/doors.

Kowloon would have ceiling gaps, vents and other maintinece stuff instead of exterior windows, which you don’t want as if you gain access outside the walled city (implying you (poorly) decide to make a non-skybox environment beyond the city) you’re effectively forced into a cube beyond a cube for no real reason - also meaning Cops have a harder time reaching you.
Adding to this, maybe add some abandoned rooms to create some low level Criminal/Rebel RP, no working lights, broken windows leading to vents or pipes, add some sneaky ways to get to vantage points, etc. If it's Kowloon then it's going to be unbelievely unmanaged with unlimited secret areas and abandoned areas such as sewers and vents. If I hadn't given up mapping back in the day I probably would've tried this.

Dr.Towers

Nucleus
Nebulae
Processing-wise it's fine as long as you put a fading areaportal, however I'd be worried about the entity limit on source maps. If the map is big I'd remove them if I were you.

Nick

OK DOING
Nebulae
I don't think working windows are worth the effort in most places, if they don't have a clear and good use for them and are there just for show I'd say don't bother, if you end up using it though FOR GODS SAKE MAKE A FADING AREA PORTAL!