Musicals

ButtonLip

I really was wilbur whateley the whole time
Nebulae
This seems like the most appropriate section for this thread. I'm curious if there are any other musical fans here. I just went and saw Hamilton for this first time today, and I was absolutely blown away. Anyone have any favorite musicals?

My Favs:
Les Miserables
Rent
Miss Saigon
Wicked
Book of Mormon
Hamilton (as of today)
Company
Evita

Last edited:
Reactions: List

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Premium Member
Nebulae
This seems like the most appropriate section for this thread. I'm curious if there are any other musical fans here. I just went and saw Hamilton for this first time today, and I was absolutely blown away. Anyone have any favorite musicals?

My Favs:
Les Miserables
Rent
Miss Saigon
Wicked
Book of Mormon
Hamilton (as of today)
Company
Evita
i watched book of mormon and it was fucking joke

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
I've never liked musicals. Don't think I've ever understood them.
That's true of course, for almost all of them but one... Highschool Musical 2. Truly an achievement in the arts. Zac Efron's vocal delivery and acting, the tense gay romance scenes

the epic dance-offs. Amazing stuff, truly.

ButtonLip

Nebulae
I've never liked musicals. Don't think I've ever understood them.
That's true of course, for almost all of them but one... Highschool Musical 2. Truly an achievement in the arts. Zac Efron's vocal delivery and acting, the tense gay romance scenes

the epic dance-offs. Amazing stuff, truly.

Truly a virtuosic epic of unparalled achievement. A modern wonder for our times.

Satirical

Electron
Nebulae
I was in a few musicals during my time regularly doing acting.

Generally, I prefer the artsy nature of actual plays (as opposed to musicals), but without a doubt my favorite musical of all time is Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. It deals with some of the most powerful themes of the human experience in swells of drama and tension. My understanding of musicals though is that they tend to be more uplifting (at least, in the style of their music). But I prefer the artsier shows (like Sweeney Todd) that emulate some of that darker tone.

I remember when Hamilton first became a thing and my drama-mates were all over it; I tried listening to it and just think it's terribly overhyped.

EDIT: Here's a clip of the opening ballad:

ButtonLip

Nebulae
I was in a few musicals during my time regularly doing acting.

Generally, I prefer the artsy nature of actual plays (as opposed to musicals), but without a doubt my favorite musical of all time is Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. It deals with some of the most powerful themes of the human experience in swells of drama and tension. My understanding of musicals though is that they tend to be more uplifting (at least, in the style of their music). But I prefer the artsier shows (like Sweeney Todd) that emulate some of that darker tone.

I remember when Hamilton first became a thing and my drama-mates were all over it; I tried listening to it and just think it's terribly overhyped.

EDIT: Here's a clip of the opening ballad:

tbh, the hype around it is pretty extreme. I wouldn't have seen it if my mom hadn't bought me a ticket; I dismissed it originally because of that excessive hype. It was the first musical I went to that I didn't already know well. Concept and execution is original, funny, 2nd act is very emotional, etc... not my all time favorite but I still think it deserves to make the list

Satirical

Electron
Nebulae
tbh, the hype around it is pretty extreme. I wouldn't have seen it if my mom hadn't bought me a ticket; I dismissed it originally because of that excessive hype. It was the first musical I went to that I didn't already know well. Concept and execution is original, funny, 2nd act is very emotional, etc... not my all time favorite but I still think it deserves to make the list

Yeah, that's fair. I will say that they pull off Hamilton's death pretty well. I'm just not a big fan of the use of rap for the general music style, but I understand that in this day and age people prefer to modernize things.

What I will say is that Lin Manuel-Miranda and the other minds behind Hamilton are brilliant for popularizing an interest in U.S history. They've been doing shows where APUSH students get to go for free and also get to perform on the stage to warm for the cast; and then they get to meet the cast, too! They've also done shows for reduced/free admissions prices in places like Puerto Rico. So, that's pretty neat!

ButtonLip

Nebulae
Yeah, that's fair. I will say that they pull off Hamilton's death pretty well. I'm just not a big fan of the use of rap for the general music style, but I understand that in this day and age people prefer to modernize things.

I actually liked the rap style. It contrasted interestingly with the supposedly fuddy-duddy and dry era the musical is set in, and definately distinguished itself from other musicals. Managed to be unique without being gimmicky, at least, in my opinion. Also, the congress diss battles are just too fucking funny. But this is all my opinion.

Satirical

Electron
Nebulae
I actually liked the rap style. It contrasted interestingly with the supposedly fuddy-duddy and dry era the musical is set in, and definately distinguished itself from other musicals. Managed to be unique without being gimmicky, at least, in my opinion. Also, the congress diss battles are just too fucking funny. But this is all my opinion.

Maybe I should try to give the OST another listen with more cleaned ears. I dunno. Whether or not I like it, I can't deny its power.

mårten

Atom
Nebulae
I think I saw a movie in German class where a dude who's a bank-robber buries a bunch of money on a construction site before going into jail and then a school is built ontop of the money and the dude manages to fake his way into becoming a teacher at that school but he gets the stereotypical class of the cool kidz so for their obligatory theater they do Romeo and Juliet but a ghetto version of it and yeah

the concept of Hamilton reminds me of that, atleast from what i read

ButtonLip

Nebulae
Going to see Miss Saigon in April, birthday gift for my mom. I'm a sucker for Puccini adaptations I guess, and I gotta get my mom back for buying me Hamilton tickets.

Hopefully I'll actually have contact lenses for that performance. I technically only 'saw' half of Hamilton, I kept borrowing my mom's glasses through the whole thing.