New CPU or new monitor?

General Mario

Nucleus
Nebulae
So I'm gonna save up about 1000 dollars Canadian to buy myself some more upgrades.

At the moment I'm trying to decide between getting a i7 9700K with the ROG Maximus Hero XI, and a corsair H60 2018 edition cooler, alongside a EVGA SuperNOVA 850 watt gold power supply. Or, an asus monitor, either 1080p or 1440p, running anywhere between 144hz and 240hz.

Here's my current system specs (Or at least the ones that are relevant)

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 w/ Stock Cooler

MOBO: Gigabyte Gaming-3 B350

GPU: MSI 1070 Ti gaming

Power Supply: EVGA BQ 600W bronze power supply

Monitor: Asus VG245H @ 75hz

axido

whatttttttt
Nebulae
why don't you just replace the cpu for a ryzen 7 2700?

your motherboard and socket can easily support it, as well as your psu (?)

you'll save a buck and/or have a higher budget for a decent monitor

Reactions: List

Whilt

Woh
Nebulae
why don't you just replace the cpu for a ryzen 7 2700?

your motherboard and socket can easily support it, as well as your psu (?)

you'll save a buck and/or have a higher budget for a decent monitor
If you're not desperate you can wait for next gen Ryzen

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
i mean the question you're asking is literally the same as pc or ps4

Frostwind

userTitle
Nebulae
There isn't enough being answered here. What exactly are you using your computer for? Are you just playing games on it, or do you also stream sometimes? Are there other things you do like modeling and what-not?

If you intend on streaming and use creative programs, you should consider sticking with AMD.

If your only intent is to run games and nothing else in the background, Intel might be for you. Though, your motherboard does seem to have a lot of upgrade capability with current AMD CPUs like axid mentioned. If I were you, and was really intent on getting a CPU for whatever reason, I'd just stick with AMD because I don't have to worry about getting a whole new motherboard that racks up the cost a ton.

Save the money or get the monitor, in this case I don't think switching over to Intel will provide too much benefit. Plus, it would be absolutely pointless to get a 9700K, you might as well get a 8700K instead. They practically perform the same.

But that's just my two cents.

Reactions: List

spalius

Nucleus
Nebulae
I'd suggest getting the CPU first. Even if I don't know your parameters, it could be that you won't get all out of your monitor, so it's best to get a good setup before trying a 240hz monitor.