Serious New Scam on Steam

Josh

Nucleus
Nebulae
Hello nebbers, I have encountered this message THREE times in the past two weeks, showing that it is becoming an alarming problem:
"Hey buddy, can you please activate my promocode on [I removed the link]? You will get free 5$ so you can withdraw some skins. My promocode is PNu7I00147 thanks for activating dude"

Upon going to the website, of which I recommend you don't, even to test, it will ask you to login via steam like most of these stupid skin gambling websites. If you do it, then it will send a message to all of your friends (not instantly in some cases), the message is the one posted above, and attempt to hijack your account and steal your inventory by trading it to one of their 'bots'.

This website is ensnaring more users and thus scamming more people, so this is just a preemptive warning not to use this site despite the attractive bonuses it offers. Just stick to the 'safer' and more trustworthy websites, although I still don't trust them.

Moderator Edit: The link is xcases, not linking directly - Don't click it

Josh

Nucleus
Nebulae
uh remove the link dude

I've hid it in a spoiler for now, so you know what the URL is.
If anyone is REALLY stupid enough to sign into it after being warned, then there's no hope for them.
[doublepost=1528026918][/doublepost]
You call this alarming

I had this shit happen to me and bots adding me like, twice per day back when the stuff had no regulation at all.

Yeah, same, but it hasn't happened for a while now and it seems to be picking back up again, so I wanted to give a warning.

Reactions: List

Josh

Nucleus
Nebulae
@MaxTheGhost fell victim to it p sure since he msged it to me earlier

Watch yourselves folks

i'm pretty sure if you use mobile authentication then when they attempt to trade the items away it will be locked until you confirm it on your phone, so thats another good reason to have it set up.

D

Deleted member 5162

And that's the reason I don't trade stuff, honestly, just deserve the item, not just buy it off from people.
All these gambling sites, trading sites, and that kind is just bullshit, thats the reason I hate trading in Steam, people literally use it as an ability to scam people and Steam doesn't really care about the user that scammed someone until he receives more than 1000 reports.

Josh

Nucleus
Nebulae
sad, isn't that hard to avoid scams tbh.

except for the fact they come in plenty of different ways and methods, 5-6 years ago i fell victim to the classic 'hey check out my knife' screenshot that downloaded the picture and then robbed £150 because they bought a dota2 dragon claw hook and tf2 keys then traded it to their own account

Smiley

Navy is a colour
Nebulae
@MaxTheGhost fell victim to it p sure since he msged it to me earlier

Watch yourselves folks
Yeah, luckily I've changed all my emails and steam support is currently recovering all my stuff so I should be back soon but just be careful everyone. My friend who's always sending me links sent me one and I fell victim to it. Stay safe.
[doublepost=1528027690][/doublepost]I've just now sent in a ticket to change my stuff back but I don't know how long that'll take so I'll be LOA from everything for an extended period of time.

D

Deleted member 1381

You call this alarming

I had this shit happen to me and bots adding me like, twice per day back when the stuff had no regulation at all.
4CC95E4D00000578-5791573-image-a-33_1527779741181.jpg

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
most links are easy to see are scams, and if you talk to one of these "bots" they will just spam the link or stay quiet; easiest way to see its a scam

but people are too used to clicking links, especially from their friends, with 0 caution hence why this simple scam is so easy to do

Vortigangster

Proton
Nebulae
I remember getting DANGEROUSLY close to falling for it once a long time ago when @Pankek got phished (iirc), I went on the site (Which looked exactly like Steam's browser site does, which is what got me)
So naturally I type in my username and password, but immediately realized something was wrong when my phone authenticator DIDN'T go off.
Somehow I must've managed to change password and everything before anything happened, and I still cannot to this day believe my fucking luck (Either that or the fact that I had an authenticator blocked their attempts to gain access in which case yay)

Jesus Christ, never again.

Call me stupid if you want but my heart was racing faster than my dog whenever I open the fridge.