PC sound

Chris .P. Bacon

Proud Redcoat
Nebulae
Just to make things clear. I am using the same terms for each of the things (Headset=Headphones with mic. Earphones= Apple earphones. Headphones=Well...headphones.

For reference of what I am using

Headset-HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset
HyperX_Headset_Black_1_hr.jpg

Earphones- default apple headphones
357877-apple-earpods.jpg
(The ones without the sound adjuster)

Headphones- JVC Stereo Headphones HA-RX300
71pem2XwJaL._SY355_.jpg
(I think its that anyway)

So basically for a while my headset sound was cutting out every now and then, but a small little fiddle with the audio jack would restore sound. But yesterday this did not work. The computer was recognizing the sound but it made it REALLY quiet, I then started using some apple earphones, the audio was quite bad, but I could still hear things okay.

Now today when I was in the middle of playing a game the sound was playing up, I then re-plugged in the apple earphones and I had some static in the background. I then got some headphones and I was getting the same kind of static but every other second, and it was quieter. I also tested them in the microphone jack, same problem. I then tested all 3 headsets/earphones in the back microphone jack. The headset did not work, same problem. While on the other hand the headphones did work fine. I then tested the earphones in the back, and I had the same problem with static noise. I then go and test all 3 in a different computer. The earphones and headphones work fine but the headset does not. So I know the headset is definitely broken. The earphones also work fine on my phone.

So I have 2 questions.

Is the problem coming from the audio jacks?
Is the problem coming from within the computer, motherboard, sound card etc?

Sorry for long post

code_gs

String
Nebulae
If you have a headphone preamp or a digital -> analog converter, try testing with the TOSLINK port. It should be near the top of the back of your computer next to the PS2 port; looks like this:

KYRm2eB.jpg

Otherwise, the problem is probably with your sound card.