HL2RP (Poll) Cities VS Outskirts

Maytree

Black Hole
Nebulae
Heyo. I'm coming back with yet another thread. Since the finale of the City 24 chapter is around the corner, I'm curious to get and touch and as to what everyone's thoughts are on using pre-destructed CMB cities to do invade/defend in. For me personally, I loved the setting of playing as a rebel and invading other occupied cities to liberate it. But what are your personal thoughts? Do you think using Combine City maps are fun to fine in for this iteration of HL2rp, or do you prefer sticking to Outskirt maps, or perhaps both?

Cities: 1 Votes
Outskirts: 3 Votes
Both: 4 Votes

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
both are good, however, it really depends on the map.

C24 lacks an event box / is kinda too big in some places, too small in others

RedMan

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I believe the Outskirt maps (Ashville and Metro) probably were a bit more fun to engage in comparison to the City maps (City 24). The quality of roleplay dipped sincerely since we switched maps; the streets were mostly empty and the inactive businesses within the city gave a stale atmosphere that dissuaded you from patrolling. Admittingly, when someone did set something up on the streets, it attracted people like moths to a lamp.

I do not mind either themes, but there should be more to the plot line than just frequent large-scale S2K scenarios.

Laura

Nucleus
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
Nebulae
I think both are good.
The execution of the CityRP would've been better by just dumping scripts into businesses that stay open. Helping stores to stay open and providing places to interact and RP in. Even if its a siege, I would imagine the businesses inside the main Governmental District would've gotten priority.
Business getting no support was just a bad choice ( or a oversight ) that largely killed Citizen RP before it even got off the ground.
Even in Stasiland, I managed to receive shipments that kept the business running in middle of a warzone in Brodenstein. Which if you think about it, A Western German town in some valley that saw economic troubles. Beginning to get supplied ( By East Germany ) to have refugees from Frankfurt to start businesses is- kind of reaching far in how such of a insignificant town would be treated during a war in reality.

But regardless of the lack of oversight. I think I'd be personally happy to return to another City, somewhere in the future after we return to the Outlands. And then take the experiences and shortcomings of City 24 with us. And just generally provide a better experience and reasoning to be in the City.

Last edited:

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
I think both are good.
The execution of the CityRP could've done better by just dumping scripts into businesses that stay open. Helping stores to stay open and providing places to interact and RP in. Even if its a siege, I would imagine the businesses inside the main Governmental District would've gotten priority.
Business getting no support was just a bad choice ( or a oversight ) that largely killed Citizen RP before it even got off the ground.
Even in Stasiland, I managed to receive shipments that kept the business running in middle of a warzone in Brodenstein. Which if you think about it, A Western German town in some valley that saw economic troubles. Beginning to get supplied ( By East Germany ) to have refugees from Frankfurt to start businesses is- kind of reaching far in how such of a insignificant town would be treated during a war in reality.

But regardless of the lack of oversight. I think I'd be personally happy to return to another City, somewhere in the future after we return to the Outlands. And then take the experiences and shortcomings of City 24 with us. And just generally provide a better experience and reasoning to be in the City.
personally i'd say cityrp had a couple issues that ended up killing it

the primary one being, shops, the 'centres' of rp basically being either OUTSIDE of the city for some reason, or extremely inactive.

When Gal did a stall people flocked and rp'd near in it, also the cops being quite 'rude' can put people off at times. Obv not asking for them to be literal rebelcops but like, perhaps take into account rp a bit more sometimes or summat? Most cops were good on this front, just a couple of outliers left a bad taste in a lot of folks mouths.

Also, the refugee massacre (voided thankfully) burnt out a bunch of people at once, engineers, refugees, etc. Idk if the refugees will even come back at this point as we have no way to inform em they didn't get randomly gunned down

with CEC basically we did the 'we are kinda low on some supplies so u gotta get them somehow, but otherwise if u need summat, u got it' (eg, if make gun, u need get parts cos big expensive) which encourages doing shit/having more fun, etc.

Laura

Nucleus
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
Nebulae
personally i'd say cityrp had a couple issues that ended up killing it

the primary one being, shops, the 'centres' of rp basically being either OUTSIDE of the city for some reason, or extremely inactive.

When Gal did a stall people flocked and rp'd near in it, also the cops being quite 'rude' can put people off at times. Obv not asking for them to be literal rebelcops but like, perhaps take into account rp a bit more sometimes or summat? Most cops were good on this front, just a couple of outliers left a bad taste in a lot of folks mouths.

Also, the refugee massacre (voided thankfully) burnt out a bunch of people at once, engineers, refugees, etc. Idk if the refugees will even come back at this point as we have no way to inform em they didn't get randomly gunned down

with CEC basically we did the 'we are kinda low on some supplies so u gotta get them somehow, but otherwise if u need summat, u got it' (eg, if make gun, u need get parts cos big expensive) which encourages doing shit/having more fun, etc.

Agreed.
Inactivity of the stores was often because they had no scripts to sell.
How are you supposed to run a kebab store without any kebab?

And regarding Gal's stall, I have to give props out to him for just going out and making a stall regardless of Council approval, and just sourcing the scripts by fishing. It was quite absurd seeing some of the interactions cops had about it, and Citizens in general.

And yes, the refugee massacre. That was quite something to wake up to when I was sent a clip of it. What's worst, that you will burn out experienced players by literally RDMing them, but like.. I'd say over half of them were new players. You don't burn out new players, you make them quit the server.
Anyway, lets not get drawn away from the topic of discussion.

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
Agreed.

And regarding Gal's stall, I have to give props out to him for just going out and making a stall regardless of Council approval, and just sourcing the scripts by fishing. It was quite absurd seeing some of the interactions cops had about it, and Citizens in general.

And yes, the refugee massacre. That was quite something to wake up to when I was sent a clip of it. What's worst, that you will burn out experienced players by literally RDMing them, but like.. I'd say over half of them were new players. You don't burn out new players, you make them quit the server.
Anyway, lets not get drawn away from the topic of discussion.
Most of CEC are new players (I tried to recruit to get people doing stuff, keep city alive / keep people engaged etc)

Honestly, I'd say the store script problem could've been solved by giving CEC the script vendor and go back to the old 'tokens buy scripts, scripts can be sold to people for tokens or items which can be used to buy more scripts, with people getting tokens by workshifts etc.'

tho the token problem was kinda, worsened by how someone gave the CEC a budget but then didn't give us the budget, so nobody ever had any new tokens

Nebulae
CityRP needs an incentive, attention,
when it has none it dies, like it did.

it mostly depends on how you can shape CityRP for it to be a free scene for passive (behind the scenes, oocly, as a development team)
this time cityrp wasn't a focus, thus it didn't even get to live much

honestly, poll-wise, no point mentioning cityrp since it wasnt even cityrp, but something lite, a filler of the story,
a city map needed some cityrp filler

but it wasn't cityrp

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
side thing on vendors - a big issue with workshifts (not blaming staff cos i get they were very busy and such), but quite a few ended up getting delayed, cancelled, going on for far longer then they should've, etc, as we were either waiting to have tools/stuff for the shift to be given, or the rewards after the shift

Nebulae
Most of CEC are new players (I tried to recruit to get people doing stuff, keep city alive / keep people engaged etc)

Honestly, I'd say the store script problem could've been solved by giving CEC the script vendor and go back to the old 'tokens buy scripts, scripts can be sold to people for tokens or items which can be used to buy more scripts, with people getting tokens by workshifts etc.'

tho the token problem was kinda, worsened by how someone gave the CEC a budget but then didn't give us the budget, so nobody ever had any new tokens
speaking of CITYRP
big kudos to mister komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan @Komchan

he is the biggest new player educator, that IMMEDIATELY integrated PRISTINE FRESH NEW PLAYERS, so fresh you'd imagine it's you at 16 yo playing hl2rp,
into CEC, giving them dependable RP and progression that got them sold into the experience we all here for

rather than leaving them just strolling the map in loops, disconnecting eventually.
You can thank him for having all new players now actual permanent persistent players

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Premium Member
Nebulae
Agreed.
yea i dunno if i can say the same for others but i was mugged of most of my stores initial stock on day 2 and was never able to get an actual restock so i had to ration my shit out and eventually gave up

think it would been better if cec or a splinter faction could of facilitated that side of things instead of the council

Maytree

Black Hole
Nebulae

I honestly would've helped the CEC issue if I hadn't taken my short hiatus from HL2rp after leaving another server I've been on.

I was actually a minister of that particular branch of the CWU when I was on Cataclysm HL2rp. The server was flatfoot dead just before activity there crumbled on new years. I was about to give up on Cataclysm at the time until we moved to a different city map (City 3). Me and a few others gradually brought City RP back on its feet when they introduced IC applications. I grinded through all of them and managed to get the faction on its feat. I even got the recruits to repair an old warehouse that was previously lost to a terrorist event on a previous rotation. I also got CEC members to be more frequent with fulfilling stock requests for shops. We solely let admins spawn them items in exchange for the shopkeeper giving us tokens.

I wiped out all the inactive members and replaced all of them with new and returning players. I later introduced a workshift bounty-board system which CEC affiliates can host certain workshifts which will lend them greater rewards upon completion (extra LP boots, ration coupons, and visits to the City Administratior if they accept the request). Player Numbers on that server grew to about 30+ plus until things got stagnant yet again recently. Me and an Event Manager tried to host a CWU fair, but I ditched the server as of last month due to not enough attendants, and the CPs stomping it just when it started to grow abit.

I left the server due to poor decision making with how things were handled in a few situations, both IC and OOCly. Two SA's abused their Combine Lead privileges to rig a CA election for a friend of theirs (who plays a character who has a nasty history of being a rebel). The stunt was thankfully reverted but there were more reasons amounted my distaste of the server and left (Vortigaunt Sex being one of them).

I plan to focus more on Nebulous now. Hopefully I could get to assist the CEC problem when we do another City Map.

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
I honestly would've helped the CEC issue if I hadn't taken my short hiatus from HL2rp after leaving another server I've been on.

I was actually a minister of that particular branch of the CWU when I was on Cataclysm HL2rp. The server was flatfoot dead just before activity there crumbled on new years. I was about to give up on Cataclysm at the time until we moved to a different city map (City 3). Me and a few others gradually brought City RP back on its feet when they introduced IC applications. I grinded through all of them and managed to get the faction on its feat. I even got the recruits to repair an old warehouse that was previously lost to a terrorist event on a previous rotation. I also got CEC members to be more frequent with fulfilling stock requests for shops. We solely let admins spawn them items in exchange for the shopkeeper giving us tokens.

I wiped out all the inactive members and replaced all of them with new and returning players. I later introduced a workshift bounty-board system which CEC affiliates can host certain workshifts which will lend them greater rewards upon completion (extra LP boots, ration coupons, and visits to the City Administratior if they accept the request). Player Numbers on that server grew to about 30+ plus until things got stagnant yet again recently. Me and an Event Manager tried to host a CWU fair, but I ditched the server as of last month due to not enough attendants, and the CPs stomping it just when it started to grow abit.

I left the server due to poor decision making with how things were handled in a few situations, both IC and OOCly. Two SA's abused their Combine Lead privileges to rig a CA election for a friend of theirs (who plays a character who has a nasty history of being a rebel). The stunt was thankfully reverted but there were more reasons amounted my distaste of the server and left (Vortigaunt Sex being one of them).

I plan to focus more on Nebulous now. Hopefully I could get to assist the CEC problem when we do another City Map.
there’s ways to continue CEC outside of the cities

:)

bilack

Electron
Nebulae
Personally I've had much better playing experiences on outskirts maps like rp_apoc, asheville and metro, compared to C24. Being in a concrete jungle maze isn't a lot of fun

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Heyo. I'm coming back with yet another thread. Since the finale of the City 24 chapter is around the corner, I'm curious to get and touch and as to what everyone's thoughts are on using pre-destructed CMB cities to do invade/defend in. For me personally, I loved the setting of playing as a rebel and invading other occupied cities to liberate it. But what are your personal thoughts? Do you think using Combine City maps are fun to fine in for this iteration of HL2rp, or do you prefer sticking to Outskirt maps, or perhaps both?

Cities: 0 Votes
Outskirts: 1 Votes
Both: 3 Votes

Where da poll at tho? Coulda sworn you could make them when you make the thread

Maytree

Black Hole
Nebulae
Where da poll at tho? Coulda sworn you could make them when you make the thread
I would've used StrawPoll.me but the website got taken down not too long ago.

I was too scared to use other polling sites for them being too complicated to myself and other people, so I used the method that was in the best HL2rp map thread.