POST/boot loop

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
for the past month or two my PC has been dead, my previous motherboard's VRM (to my knowledge, i couldnt see exactly where it came from at the time) sparked in my face and that motherboard is now dead
now the good part from this is recently ive was given a old computer by a friend which i salvaged the CPU and motherboard from, an i7-4790k and a Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H, not new parts by any means but it should keep me going a year or two until I can get a new Ryzen or whatever
now the bad part is i thought it was gonna be a case of drop in my GPU, new Windows install, drivers and im done, but ive not even been able to install my GPU as theres a problem
after booting it presents the POST screen but itll never go past it as straight after it'll just restart, ive spammed the absolute fuck out the DEL and F9 key to try and get into the BIOS but the moment it goes past that screen it just reboots and even worse if i remove all drives from the computer it just gets stuck in a constant boot loop without even POSTing
ive reset the CMOS in case it was some sort of setting causing it but that hasnt changed anything and ive run out of ideas as not being able to even access BIOS leaves me without any ideas on what the fuck to do
i was gonna get a friend who is far better with computers than me to help me figure this out but hes been a no show and not being able to play Payday and Killing Floor is starting to get to me
help me Nebulous, youre my only hope

FIGHTSONG

Quark
Nebulae
Take out one of your RAM cards at a time and try booting your PC. If it still fails, put the card you took out back in and repeat the process with another. Bad RAM causes problems like this a lot.

Last edited:

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
Take out one of your RAM cards at a time and try booting your PC. If it still fails, put the card you took out back in and repeat the process with another. Bad RAM causes problems like this a lot.
just tried it as well as running 6 dimms on their own but it made no difference from any of them

FIGHTSONG

Quark
Nebulae
just tried it as well as running 6 dimms on their own but it made no difference from any of them
Can you give me a spec list? Include the motherboard youre using and specific CPU/GPU/storage device models if you can.

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
Can you give me a spec list? Include the motherboard youre using and specific CPU/GPU models if you can.
i7-4790k and a Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H
no GPU currently but i have an RX460 on hand once i get it working, i have a pair of Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz, pair of Team Group Elite (?) 1600 mhz and a pair of HyperX Fury with no clue of the mhz, all DDR3

FIGHTSONG

Quark
Nebulae
no GPU currently but i have an RX460 on hand once i get it working, i have a pair of Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz, pair of Team Group Elite (?) 1600 mhz and a pair of HyperX Fury with no clue of the mhz, all DDR3
You don't have a graphics card installed?

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
You don't have a graphics card installed?
yeah, trying to minimise compatibility issues by just using the HDMI on the IO and the integrated GPU until i can get everything booting properly

FIGHTSONG

Quark
Nebulae
yeah, trying to minimise compatibility issues by just using the HDMI on the IO and the integrated GPU until i can get everything booting properly

I looked at a compatibility list for your board, couldn't find Team Group Elites. I'd say try taking both of them out and testing each other individual RAM card.

When it gets to the POST screen, do you get any fan spin?

Last edited:

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
Are you getting any fan spin?
yeah, CPU and PSU (RMx1000), whenever the system reboots the PSU fan spins back up and down which more or less signals a full reboot of the system as my set up never goes past the 400 watt mark for the fan to begin spinning
im headin to bed for the night as its quarter past midnight, if youve got any other ideas or need any more information i'll get back to you in the morning

Reactions: List