Pyrrhic Victory | Season 2 finale September 16th - 30th

PepicWalrus

Electron
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

image.png

Purpose Actualized.

Since the fall of City Twenty-Four, and the displacement of its Citadel by the efforts of the resistance Garrison 314 has been separated from the body of the Universal Unions forces, or so they thought. After patiently waiting below the streets of Bucharest, acting in shadows as the dredges proved more and more why they were unworthy of self governance as they fought amongst themselves. The City Of Bucharest, Once City Forty Five has been judged, and its value has been deemed inconsequential.. The City Of Bucharest shall earn its worth with a greater purpose.. a stepping stone to Apotheosis..

The Coming Storm.
Vortal Kind have discerned dark portents in a vision of doom. A storm of neither sleet nor rain, but one of flesh. Brought upon by The Bringer Of The Storm. Ash, Smoke, and Blood raining down from up high but with this vision comes an opportunity to strike at the heart of the enemy..

a_storm_of_flesh_and_blood_by_annaapollonia_dfa0dvo-414w-2x.jpg

General Event Info.

Limited Run Event.

Welcome to the season 2 finale of HL2RP²! To close out the season we have been aiming to put together a week long event with the goal to have events taking place each day for the duration of this event, with high stakes and the ability to have a major impact on the future narrative. September 16th to September 30th. With the end of the season we will hope to bring changes and improves going into season 3. Details will be revealed after the event ends for what is to come.

Faction Hubs Return.
Faction Hubs shall be returning which are off limits to raiding without authorization from the Server Director, and are limited to once a day. These also must have a specific reason to do so. The opposition may not receive a heads up.

Use It If You Got It.
This is an official heads up that, as it currently stands are planning to do an economy wipe at the conclusion of this event. So we suggest if you've been holding onto those special weapons for awhile that now is your chance to use them or they will be gone come season 3. We are currently considering some kind of system to transfer over memento or trophy items but that will be discussed when we go into season 3 plans in the near future.

Adjustment to S2K.
During the duration of this event /MeL is once again required to open S2K, it is not required to do a /MeL when returning fire only for the initial engaging shot. If it is a sniping shot a /MeD is required to the target. The emote must be well written and two sentences long.

September 16th
11 AM EST / 4 PM BST.

Map
We will be returning to a variant of the Agora Valley map, Ineu Valley 2. Featuring a drastically different atmosphere than what was featured during our previous time in Agora.

Last edited:

PepicWalrus

Electron
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Hey everyone! just wanted to add we thank you for the patients from you all for the additional time we've taken for this map change event and season finale. We're aiming to go big with this one. We hope to see you all there, and I am excited for you all to see what we've done with the new map as we return to Agora.

This thread will double as the feedback thread for the event as well, you can also PM me here on the forums, or on Discord.

See you all then!

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Afraid I can't make for the first few days it due to a bit of a funky situation (birthday today/tomorrow + spending the week watching my sister's house & pets with my parents while she's away on a trip), but I hope y'all will be having fun!
Edit: Fingers crossed somebody can do a summary for what I'll miss out on when I'm back.

Last edited:

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
Use It If You Got It.
This is an official heads up that, as it currently stands are planning to do an economy wipe at the conclusion of this event. So we suggest if you've been holding onto those special weapons for awhile that now is your chance to use them or they will be gone come season 3. We are currently considering some kind of system to transfer over memento or trophy items but that will be discussed when we go into season 3 plans in the near future.

Adjustment to S2K.
During the duration of this event /MeL is once again required to open S2K, it is not required to do a /MeL when returning fire only for the initial engaging shot. If it is a sniping shot a /MeD is required to the target. The emote must be well written and two sentences long.​
B2H0sbJ.gif

me when im forced to give up the sentimental gun scripts i havent used in three maps

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
We'll be discussing the /meL feed back expressed so far in a staff meeting being held today.
big thing that comes with it is teaching a new generation to do it before engaging and dealing with fallout from people who end up not, as well as people too afraid to do it and losing out on combat/opportunity/not engaging at all
mite jus b easier to leave it out

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
who's forces?

we made it exactly one month w/o any hl-context union posts on the forums

resetting the clock...

I think Pepic was AFK when the great persecution of the Uni*nites was enacted

PepicWalrus

Electron
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I do not see when and why the UU would be a dislikes term? Especially when written from an Advisors perspective.
who's forces?

we made it exactly one month w/o any hl-context union posts on the forums

resetting the clock...

Reactions: List

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
I do not see when and why the UU would be a dislikes term? Especially when written from an Advisors perspective.

He (Breen) was talking about how cosmologically massive in concept the combine is in comparison to our limited understanding in multiple speeches. He didn't dislike the term "Combine", because he used it frequently in the game. Rather, he's referring to humans as having comparatively small minds compared to what's out there: the Combine/"Our Benefactors", meteorological intelligences, sentient fungi, things impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary.

However, some of these perceptions have spiraled out of their own initial microcosms and taken on a life of their own in the greater roleplay community, effectively becoming our own Berenstein Bears vs. Berenstain Bears conundrum where we assume that the lore is one thing because of how much certain perspectives of the lore have been reiterated over and over until players begin to outright perceive them as canon. The three most notorious instances of this being "universal union", "transhuman arm" and "reeducation", which have each been vastly miscontextualized to the extent that a significant portion of the Half-Life roleplaying community have come to accept these things as being just as much part of the setting as the terms anticitizen and malcompliant.

And given the prior assessments into how terminology and language are responsible for depicting the exact nature of a setting, the kind of setting that "the universal union" depicts is not the same as the one that the Combine depicts. The perception that the Combine are in-fact "the universal union" eventually gives way to the shorthand referral to the Combine as "the union" and therein begins to slowly diminish the nature of the Combine in the setting by mislabeling it.

"Universal union" was never a proper noun or pseudonym for the Combine but rather an attempt to elaborate what the Combine is in the context of the dogma Breen spews.

Further elaboration:

bSIaUPf.png

Not going to bring in the point of capitalization but rather draw emphasis on the fact that many if not most people in the realm of HL2RP communities took the part about "small minds" to imply that the resistance use the moniker "The Combine" as a derogatory term, but considering that the rest of the speech goes into detail about how cosmologically large the Combine are, I'd say that "small minds" refers to humans wholesale in that they couldn't possibly grasp the entire concept of what the Combine actually are with their comparatively "small minds".

Additional evidence: Breen directly calls them the Combine to Overwatch personnel at Nova Prospekt, and uses the term in other instances as well.
ubmWNNa.png

Additional additional evidence: Every "CMB" poster ever.
b26UusQ.png

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
i wouldnt mind AI art being used in roleplay docs if i didn't look like someone had spilled a particularly cheesy lasagna and bolognese

PepicWalrus

Electron
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
The /MeL, and /MeD changes will not be applied to the event after discussion among staff and taking in the feedback. However we also would like to re-remind people of a couple rules that have fallen a bit by the wayside we will be looking to enforce more as a team. People should keep these in mind when both looking to engage S2K, or are roleplaying and wish to avoid being S2K'd mid-roleplay.

```If unarmed characters are the target of a firefight, they should be allowed to appropriately roleplay their death where applicable.
and here```

```When engaging people in a situation where roleplay has been already initiated, you must properly roleplay initiating said engagement (readying your weapon, raising it, firing it). This is to prevent people abusing people mid-roleplay acting to quickly take them down.```

In regards to questions about the Economy reset custom suits, and personal mementos will be allowed to be kept. Items of "prestige" such as the Gravity Gun as an example and other similar items will become de-powered/non-functional and may find use for them again down the line.

We advise everyone to take screenshots, and catalogue their items. Specifically things like custom suits, personal mementos, trophy items, or prestige gear. When season 3 comes near and we are ready to begin reviewing items the char auth system will be used.

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
i slapped all ur images and bolognes together into one image best i could here u go media developer john
wDQTlFl.jpg

Last edited:

key

Nebulae
is this iteration hard canon or something and is that why there's such a stigma surrounding the term "universal union" or what