Questions about Outlands

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
Edit#
I've written about the subject now, but feel free to contribute still.

The original post:
I want to write about the HL2RP Outlands style of server, primarily about the differences between Outlands and the HL2RP city servers. It would also be great to add some cultural detail about Outlands gameplay itself. But I don't know much about it, so that's why I want to ask some questions about it here. I'd appreciate answers to the questions even if you only have an answer for one of them.

What's the map theme of the Outlands style of server, compared to the regular city server maps? Do you remember any specific Outlands map names?

What are the gameplay mechanics like on an Outlands server compared to a city server? Do they share the same items and factions? Would they share the same content pack?

How connected were Outlands servers to the regular city servers? Would they share the same character database? Could characters travel from one to the other?

What are the challenges of running an Outlands server? Do they demand a lot of staff attention, and risk splitting the playerbase if a city server is also running?

Have Outlands servers become less common? If so, why?

Do you have any outstanding memories or storylines from an Outlands server?

What was the oldest Outlands server you remember?

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
What's the map theme of the Outlands style of server, compared to the regular city server maps? Do you remember any specific Outlands map names?

Outlands was really any sort of wilderness - canals, forests, that sort of thing. The main map I remember (as do most) is ineu_valley.

What are the gameplay mechanics like on an Outlands server compared to a city server? Do they share the same items and factions? Would they share the same content pack?

Mostly the same items factions and content pack, with some exceptions. You wouldn't find most Combine factions out there, for example; it was mainly a rebel space where Cops, OTA, Synths or Conscripts would patrol to keep up the danger.

How connected were Outlands servers to the regular city servers? Would they share the same character database? Could characters travel from one to the other?

In LP's v1 they were different databases for the longest time and you had to apply to swap, iirc. In V2 in late 2015 they shared a database but you had to manually go there via an area portal to swap servers.

What are the challenges of running an Outlands server? Do they demand a lot of staff attention, and risk splitting the playerbase if a city server is also running?

Massively splitting the playerbase (especially rebels who have no reason to go to the city if its too safe but likewise will not use the OL if its too risky), having a lack of a stable 'circle' routine of factions like the city and just general upkeep from staff. Gurrazor wasn't too long off closing down LP's Outlands for these reasons, but the community went under.

This is also why Outlands servers are rare on their own and don't tend to last long without a lot of work and creativity (as Numbers is doing rn).

CityRP is still the easiest HL2RP setting to pick up and plug things into, which is why a lot of the bigger projects that people have in the works focus on it. By contrast, as I said above, OutlandsRP doesn't tend to last long.

Lots, but in the effort of being conciece I'll skip this for me.

For me it was LP's Outlands but I know TnB had Outlands servers years before that, maybe 2009 - 2010-ish.

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
they were boring to play because they were structured like city servers except running an entirely different concept. PK rules were harsh and it was hard to find anything meaningful to do. scripts were sparse and prices were high which lead to traders and buyers unable to reach agreements. most of the gameplay loop was running around scriptwhoring while trying to find combat just to die and get PK in a moment's notice. events were sparce and pretty much nothing to do.

when they had a lot of people playing, then maybe they were fun. most of the time they were barren, it was hard to find people and pretty much do anything that wasn't running around trying to find people or get armed.

catalyst-gaming outlands server

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
Thanks for the contributions, I've added a link to the piece I wrote in the original post. I'm under the impression that the LemonPunch Outlands server ran from July 2014 until the community closed in April 2016. I'm also under the impression that nebulous didn't run an Outlands server, but Outlands styled gameplay is referenced as being included in the city server due to the large map size being able to fit an area suitable for that kind of gameplay. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Thanks for the contributions, I've added a link to the piece I wrote in the original post. I'm under the impression that the LemonPunch Outlands server ran from July 2014 until the community closed in April 2016. I'm also under the impression that nebulous didn't run an Outlands server, but Outlands styled gameplay is referenced as being included in the city server due to the large map size being able to fit an area suitable for that kind of gameplay. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

LP ran two Outlands servers. One was ran July 2014 - sometime later in 2014, the 2nd iteration was in mid 2015 - LP closing.

Also yeah, Neb never ran one because we didn't wanna split the playerbase. Closest we had was the i17 map edit from 2019.