Questions from a newbie.

Fagoth Ur

String
Nebulae
Hello everyone,

I am not sure if the "general" section is the right place to create this thread but I couldn't find anywhere better. I wanted to create a questions thread for myself. I am new to the whole RP deal though I know the gist of it. I have read the both rules and the guides. I did not stay for long in the server since I am somewhat afraid to make mistakes and piss off the kind of people I shouldn't piss off. I lurked in the forums for a while and realised there is much to learn. For example, I have seen that there was a dispute of somekind relating to something called S2K or S2RP and some people got banned because they did something they shouldn't have. If I was in the server at the time I would have no idea what it meant so I would probably be banned too. I want to avoid these kind of things since the environment seems somewhat unforgiving even though I imagine most around here is friendly from the little I gathered. I understand the reasons behind it being unforgiving and I am not complaining about it. All I want is to avoid any mistakes that is avoidable. At any rate, I would like to write about the questions on my mind at this time.

1. What is S2K or S2RP? I heard it referenced as sweep too so I guess it's a raid like in the start of HL2.
2. Would it be okay to start trying to RP in the server before getting more knowledgeable about the whole ordeal? I would say I got the basics from reading the guide and rules.
3. Is it okay to ask questions in OOC chat? I thought it might be okay but when I saw there was a sort of cooldown before I can ask something again, I realised it's better if it's not used often.
4. Since I am new to this thing as a whole. I am not sure what to do aside from going around in town, walking and sitting. I would like to speak with people but since I am a citizen who don't want to attract any attention on himself and since the other citizens don't like to speak with you(As I recall from HL2) I thought it would be out of character to do so. I just wanted advice on this.

These are what I had in mind as of now. Thank you for paying attention to this!

Reactions: List

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
1. What is S2K or S2RP? I heard it referenced as sweep too so I guess it's a raid like in the start of HL2.
S2K = Shoot to kill. basically like in any fps where you just click and shoot.

Slightly diff - an rp based system which is controversial and not the norm, relies on roleplaying taking turns and reacting.

Would it be okay to start trying to RP in the server before getting more knowledgeable about the whole ordeal? I would say I got the basics from reading the guide and rules.
Basic guides help, although jumping right in with only the basics gives a mysterious experience usually

Is it okay to ask questions in OOC chat? I thought it might be okay but when I saw there was a sort of cooldown before I can ask something again, I realised it's better if it's not used often.
Yh, you can also use !help

4. Since I am new to this thing as a whole. I am not sure what to do aside from going around in town, walking and sitting. I would like to speak with people but since I am a citizen who don't want to attract any attention on himself and since the other citizens don't like to speak with you(As I recall from HL2) I thought it would be out of character to do so. I just wanted advice on this.
You kinda make your own fun, there's factions around to apply for and such.

Twar

The truth is out there
Nebulae
Hi

s2k stands for shoot to kill, s2rp stands for shoot to roleplay

S2RP is when everyone uses /me's and the gunfights are roleplayed out

s2k is when it's just gunplay and you're actually shooting eachother with the weapons

I'm sure no one will mind if you do such, we do have a large lore document to read up on if you want but you can learn most of what you need to know through the actual server, asking people questions and the such. Quite a lot of people did the same.

No one will mind if you ask questions in OOC, there is also @help to ask the actual staff on the server. The cooldown is to prevent spam

Roleplay as you wish, a lot of people won't mind if you just go up to them and strike up conversation, some people might shrug you off. It's part of the playerbase and you'll eventually find some people to hang about

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
hello my fren

First off, welcome to nebulous, I hope you'll enjoy your time here.

S2K is the default state of non-melee combat, which is basically your standard FPS gameplay: Point and click to shoot.

S2RP is a bit different, and is primarily used in events or on special occasions. It involves using /mes to detail the firefight from both parties rather than relying on the mechanics of the game.

2. Would it be okay to start trying to RP in the server before getting more knowledgeable about the whole ordeal? I would say I got the basics from reading the guide and rules.

Of course. The best way to learn is to play. Many experienced players, when they started out, had no idea what was going on, me included. As long as you got the basics and dont break any serious rules you should be fine and simply learn by playing and asking questions.

3. Is it okay to ask questions in OOC chat? I thought it might be okay but when I saw there was a sort of cooldown before I can ask something again, I realised it's better if it's not used often.

Yes. You can also use !help, which is used to contact the staff team, which is better considering !help has no cool down, while OOC has one to prevent people spamming the chat box.

I want to avoid these kind of things since the environment seems somewhat unforgiving even though I imagine most around here is friendly from the little I gathered. I understand the reasons behind it being unforgiving and I am not complaining about it

The in-character environment can indeed be unforgiving, but most people out of character are very friendly and will gladly answer any questions or bear over with you if you dont fully get something and commit some small mistakes.

Don't worry about it and just go with the flow.

Fagoth Ur

String
Nebulae
I read about the factions in the whilelist. I thought it would be best to apply to one of them at a later date, when I am more experienced in RP. Even though it would be nice to join one of them since they look like fun to join. I should first get used to being a citizen. I will take up the advice on experiencing in the server instead of trying to figure out what to do from here then. It's good to know I can ask questions in !help too. I thought that section of chat was for technical difficulties only.

Twar

The truth is out there
Nebulae
I read about the factions in the whilelist. I thought it would be best to apply to one of them at a later date, when I am more experienced in RP. Even though it would be nice to join one of them since they look like fun to join. I should first get used to being a citizen. I will take up the advice on experiencing in the server instead of trying to figure out what to do from here then. It's good to know I can ask questions in !help too. I thought that section of chat was for technical difficulties only.
If you have any questions feel free to add me on steam and ask away

https://steamcommunity.com/id/BweeBwee